Embarkation Day

jks9103

Going on very first cruise in April 2008 on Royal's Serenade of the Seas, Southern Caribbean route. I know I'll get information on when to arrive at the ship but thought I'd ask. The ship is scheduled to depart at 10:00pm from San Juan. When do most passangers start arriving to the ship for that departure time? Do they serve dinner that evening? We haven't decided whether to fly into San Juan that day or the day before. If we fly in that day, the flight we will take is scheduled to land around 4:00pm.

Welcome to the world of cruising!

My first suggestion is you post your question on the RCCL board, as you'll get specific answers from cruisers on that line and ship.

We always fly in to San Juan the day before, as San Juan is a fun place to visit and should be part of your vacation. Arriving at 4:00, you really will want to go straight to the ship, and you'll miss the chance to check out Old Town or a tour of one of the historic forts right in town.

We also don't like the risk of missing the ship if the flight has weather or mechanical trouble. Don't know if you have a non stop (which would be better), but especially if you have connections, it can get stressful if things don't move smoothly.

As far as boarding time, the ships usually "say" around 2:00 for that late of departure. However, you won't be stopped if you get there at 1:00. Again, you'll have to check on the cruiseline threads. I haven't done RCCL from San Juan, so not sure if they are ready for a lunch buffet.

Have a great time.

I've sailed out of San Juan but on Carnival. I arrived at the port around 11 and was on the ship around 12. We were able to drop our bags off at our room and have lunch. Dinner was served that evening before sail away. Not sure if RCCL is the same but I'm sure you could find out on the RCCL boards. We also flew into SJ the day before to minimize any issues. It was a good thing too since one of my DW's bags didn't make it until the next day. We had a good time exploring Old San Juan.

The Serenade usually starts boarding around 11:30am and the Windjammer is open for lunch soon after that. They will have normal dinner seating that evening except the time for 2nd seating will be pushed back a few minutes as muster drill is between first and second seating.

I highly recommend flying in a day early especially to San Juan. Not only is San Juan a great city on its own, by arriving so late on departure day it will be like missing a full day of the cruise. If you land at 4pm it will probably be close to 7pm before you are on the ship and then you will have to go directly to muster drill, plus you will be exhausted that first night.

• 2 weeks later...

Boarding day isn't an "extra day"! It's the 1st day! (Your last day/morning doesn't count--you'll find out why!!!) You should get to the ship early and start using that which you have paid for!

The last morning is no fun at all--The staff will be in a total rush to get you OFF THE SHIP as fast as humanly possible--they have new cruiser's to get ready for! There is little or no service at all that last morning. That's why you need to make boarding day count!

We always arrive the day before because I'll be damned if I'm going to allow an airline's delay to mess up my cruise.

We normally show up about 10:30 - 11:00 for a 4:00 so about 5-6 hours ahead of time and sometimes go right on and sometimes have to wait depending on the ship's schedule. They do serve dinner - the only difference is that they normally have relaxed dress codes in the dining room as you will not have the luggage in their room yet.

We normally just hit the buffet right away, have a drink and make any reservations for spa, specialty restaurants etc. and just enjoy our first day of vacation.

Archived