Diving at Disney World

sea-jay

I went diving in the Disney World Epcot's Living Seas Aquarium tank last Friday for my birthday. There were 7 of us diving along with a dive master, Safety diver, and videographer.

We had a brief tour of the backstage area, sat thru a video of Disney conservation efforts, introduced to the other divers and buddied up, got our instructions for the dive, then went into the public areas in our wetsuits and booties. They took us into the center of the observation platform and into the "secret door" and up a central stairwell to the top of the tank where we put on our gear and went into the water.

We were taken on a tour of the tank by the dive master and did some swim-thruoughs while being videoed. Then we were allowed to go off by ourselves and do free swimming. Total time under was 50 minutes and then we had to get out for the next group that was diving. (They have two dives a day - an hour apart - so your time is limited.)

It was really great, Two large (6 foot) sharks and many smaller ones, one large sea turtle, many rays and groupers, lots of fish of all kinds. It was really neat to be able to swim among fish that weren't afraid of humans. In fact, anyone wearing a tank is expected to be feeding them so they just come up to you and wait for the food you are supposed to have.:D

Visibility was 203' (wall to wall:D ), Water temperature 77 degrees, depth 25' (although you could get to 27' if you dug through the crushed shell bottom to get all the way down.;) )

We weren't allowed to take photos but they made a DVD of the video for sale. Even DW got into the video and she doesn't dive. She was standing in the observation platform looking into the tank and I swam up to the window and the videographer came in and got a close up of the two of us.

After the dive, we walked back thru the public area and all the people could see who had been doing the diving. The kids really enjoyed us waving to them from the water and cutting up with them.

The dive was a once in a life time experience and now my DW says I should do it every year on my birthday.:) (I think she just likes to be in the video:D )

For those that are interested, contact Disney World and ask to be connected to the Dive Quest Tour. Cost is $145 unless you have a Florida resident seasonal or annual pass, then it is $119. The DVD is $35 and they will make a VHS tape if you prefer although it takes longer so you have to wait.

hi John - isn't that a neat experience? I was able to do that right after I got certified. We lucked out in that it was just my husband, me, one other guy, DM and video guy. It was really fun going up to the windows of the restaurant and waving at people. Kinda freaky having one of the large sharks swim right past you, but very cool.

Are they still giving away the t-shirts? I remember we got them and our DM was making fun saying the fish design looked like a swimming sperm. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sea-jay, I did the same dive at Epcot just last month. I think it was 8/11. It's an incredibly easy dive. Disney does everything for you and the water is crystal clear. 230ft of visibility - wall to wall as our DM liked to say.

My DW got into video the same as yours as she watched from inside the Living Seas attraction.

It was a very neat dive. Only 25 feet deep, but they had a great assortment of sea life. 4 different types of sharks - 7 sharks in total. One of the Grouper fish seemed like they were 4-5 feet long.

Roy

Archived