Hull Bay Beach

evolutiondob

Hello,

Its an off the beaten track beach as far as visitors go. Popular with residents on the north side of the island for family picnics and for keeping their small fishing boats. The beach is usually quiet on weekdays, nice for hanging out. Swimming is tough with the boats but snorkeling is good along the rocks. The beach shore is mostly sandy with some small pebbles. In the water there are some rocky spots. Heard good things about the kayak and snorkel outfit that operates from there.

--Islander

Thanks Islander. I figured it must be one of those areas that's not frequented by the cruise ship crowd. I'm trying to figure out if I should go to Hull Bay Beach or Trunk Bay - this will be my first time snorkeling and wanted a good experience with my kids. Something a little different than the norm so the kayaking aspect kind of piqued my interest.

Have you been to Hull Bay before?

I love Homer and his snorkel tour. But if you are looking for the typical gorgeous water and white sand beach Trunk Bay is it. Hull Bay is a little murky and very rocky. Trunk Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Yes been to Hull.

Hull Bay kayak/snorkel or heading over to St. John/Trunk Bay... what's your family most interested in doing? How old are your kids?

--Islander

My children at 17 (son) and 12 (daughter). My son is the age where he doesn't seem to be excited about anything outside of video games and football. My daughter wanted to go snorkeling and to see the dolfins. The dolfin excursion was a bit cost prohibative for me.

So, I'm trying to plan something that has a little bit for both of them. I figured he might like the kayaking and she would definitely enjoy the snorkeling. Outside of that, I have no other ideas.

My children at 17 (son) and 12 (daughter). My son is the age where he doesn't seem to be excited about anything outside of video games and football. My daughter wanted to go snorkeling and to see the dolfins. The dolfin excursion was a bit cost prohibative for me.

So, I'm trying to plan something that has a little bit for both of them. I figured he might like the kayaking and she would definitely enjoy the snorkeling. Outside of that, I have no other ideas.

Check out the Bolongo Bay Beach Resort web site. They have reasonably priced day passes. No food or drinks included but they are available to purchase. There are non-motorized water sports included.

Karysa

Hello,

Based on your kids ages, if you do decide to go over to St. John you might try Cinnamon Bay. It has a watersports booth, snorkeling and there is an easy hiking trail with plantation ruins right accross from the entrance - so more options of things to do. Trunk Bay has snorkeling but no watersports booth.

--Islander

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back last week and I'll have to say that Hull Bay was the biggest disappointment of our trip. The reefs we saw were not colorful and we saw a total of 3 fish (which may have been the same one 3 times!) Our guide was a 'fill in'- Homar was on vacation, we were not told this ahead of time. He picked us up late then had to stop for breakfast because he hadn't eaten yet. The 2 scenery stops on the way were beautiful and there wasn't anyone else at Hull Bay so the seclusion part is accurate but unless he just didn't show us where to look there simply wasn't anything to see. The kayaks are very stable, no problem there and easy to manuver. We never left sight of our vehicle as far as how far away we went. To give benefit of the doubt maybe Homar would have made it better...

Archived