Air Tahiti on Strike!

pugsbest

Just an FYI for anyone going to Papeete in the next few days. Air Tahiti's ground crew in Papeete is on strike. I just talked to my Mom who is supposed to fly home tomorrow, Princess and Air Tahiti are trying to get passengers out, but no guarantee as to when. If your flying out, you may want to check with ATN on the status.

Thursday October 11th, 2007 - 2:00PM. Update # 4

<<Air Tahiti Nui confirms the departure from LAX to Tahiti of its flight TN01, which was airborne at 1:15 PM, PDT. Flight 21 from LAX to Papeete is also operating on time with a 4:10 PM departure. This flight arrived in LAX today from Paris.

The strike remains in effect in Tahiti and this may result in flight cancelattions or delays for aircraft scheduled to leave Papeete tonight.

We would recommend that this site be viewed again at about 7:00 PM, PDT, for a further update and comment on departures from Tahiti this evening and Los Angeles /New York, tomorrow>>.

Yet for the Moment, no official word.

keeping finger crossed for everyone flying going or returning.

Meherio

Ia orana

Unprecended very high level of communication ! Bravo for the Air Tahiti Nui USA sales office for teh updates !

<< Thursday October 11th, 2007 - 6:00PM. Update # 5

Air Tahiti Nui will be operating the following flights from Tahiti to the U.S.A. tonight October 11th;

TN102 PPTLAX Depart 10:00PM Tahiti time - arrive LAX 9:15AM PDT, Friday.

TN22 PPTLAX depart 11:30PM Tahiti time - arrive LAX 10:40AM PDT, Friday.

TN4 PPTJFK depart 3:30AM, Friday morning Tahiti time - arrive JFK 9:40PM EDT, Friday.

Air Tahiti Nui will be operating the following flights from the U.S.A. to the South Pacific on Friday October 12th;

TN01 LAXPPT depart 1:00PM - arrive Tahiti 6:30PM Tahiti time.

TN3 JFKPPT depart 11:30PM EDT - arrive Tahiti 6:30AM, October 13th, Tahiti time.

Air Tahiti Nui will be operating from Papeete, Tahiti to Sydney, Australia on Saturday October 13th.

TN3 PPTSYD depart 8:00AM Tahiti time - arrive Sydney 12:50PM Sydney time, October 14th.

Passengers originating from the U.S.A. and continuing to Sydney, Australia will be connecting on this flight.

Air Tahiti Nui Paris flights will be operating as follows;

TN22 LAXCDG depart 12:30 noon, PDT and arrive in Paris at 8:25AM Paris time October 13th.

Other Air Tahiti Nui flights;

TN78 PPTNRT is expected to depart at 1:15AM Tahiti time on October 12th.

Air Tahiti Nui advises that the strike is still in effect and that minor delays may be encountered.

Our next updated will be provided at 8:30AM PDT Friday, October 12th 2007.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. >>

meherio

Thursday October 11th, 2007 - 10:00PM. Update # 6

We are pleased to announce that the strike in Tahiti has just ended.

We expect scheduled flight arrivals and departures to resume as normal on Saturday October 13th 2007.

Final flight schedules for Friday October 12th, will be posted tomorrow morning at 8:00AM PDT.

We Sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I think the thing that's funny is someone over on the Princess board said that this was the very reason you shouldn't book air through Princess. If you didn't, you would be 'stuck' in Paradise for awhile longer.

We've always booked Princess Air, but it consistently seems to be the most affordable way to fly into Tahiti. We'll risk the consequences.

Meherio - thanks for keeping us updated! It's nice to have local eyes

Charlie

Ia orana

Glad to bring some peace especially for those boarding the ship tomorrow !

This brings the always great point of getting travel insurance and also to ask all the right question before giving that credit card number for a trip.

No one wants to pay more than they should is a well understood concept, When things do go wrong (Life happens !) what should be seen is how much would you lose ( cancelled trip, penalties, extra expenses etc,.. I was on Moorea the day the Renaissance cruise line went bankrupt, (the morning after the guest boarded the ships (R3 and R4 now Princess).Many flew back home purchasing a full one way fare ticket ( close to $ 2000 ) per person. Others decided to keep the return flight and fenced for themselves for the week. My neighbors hosted 2 couples for the week on Moorea. ( Lucky for those 2 young couples now very good friends).

So ask in case of a strike, schedule change etc,... what would be your coverage?

Meherio

As always this board is right on top of the action....so happy this ended so fast....we leave Nov 6th and while it would be nice to get stuck on the island for a while longer I know it would cause much stress!

Do you think ended really means ended? I hope so!:confused:

Ia orana

Last mesage from Air Tahiti Nui's North America Sales office:

<<We are pleased to advise that the strike of ground staff in Tahiti was settled late last night.

With the exception of delays on the JFK and Sydney flights and a canceled flight to Auckland on 11 October, all other flights, and all LAX and CDG flights, have operated normally.

We apologize for the stress of these few days and any additional work you may have had in allaying the concerns of your clients.

We thank you for your support and understanding – and we wish everyone a good weekend.

Sincerely,

Air Tahiti Nui, North America>>

Once again

top notch communication there.

meherio

ia orana

Roy Orbinson sang it at best :

It's over, It's oover, It's oooover !

Al signed off and all that jazz. No worries as our Aussie friends would say.

Have a great trip ( I am also counting the days for the next Friday night ATN flight)

Meherio

We were on the TP that returned to Papeete on the 11th. It was announced abut 8:00 a.m. on board ship that there was an ATN strike. It did cause a lot of excitement and conversation for everyone scheduled to leave (especially those who were scheduled to leave the night of the 11th).

We know several couples who flew home on the 11th and there were 3 planes there to take everyone home. No delays at all.

On Friday the 12th other friends flew home. Again, everything was exactly on schedule.

Our flight on Saturday night took off 10 minutes early.

I'm sure that Princess played a large part in getting the strike resolved--but I don't think it would have mattered if you had purchased Princess Air or not. Princess needed the new passengers flying in on ATN and needed us to be able to leave for it to continue it's schedule. Other than that--there are lots of places much, much worse to get stranded at!:D

--Kathy

Archived