tipping AO staff?

luvdmouse

It is complety up to you and some say you don't have to tip at all. So it is up to your own discretion. There have been some pretty heated battles on the RCCL board about this topic.

I'll give you a quick recap...some say they tip nothing because the couselors make enough. Some say they tip $10-$20 per child. Some say they tip $50 per child.

It all varies. So do what you feel comfortable with.

Have a great cruise :D

I'll certainly be watching this thread. We travel on Carnival in January and would be interested on the norm for tipping camp staff. Our dd is 3 and I just know she'll love it! A decent tip I think will be well worth the few hours of couples time dh and I may grab!

Do childrens' staff earn more than other cruise staff so don't rely so much on tips? Or is it similar to waiters etc ?

Sarah

Do childrens' staff earn more than other cruise staff so don't rely so much on tips? Or is it similar to waiters etc ?

Sarah

They earn more then servers as far as salaries are concerned (from what I gathered from people who answered this question before and are 'in the know') but it's not like they are getting rich.

And as far as the calling cards...pretty much how it's done is the cash is divided among all of the kids club counselors since they rotate around through the ages.

I remember on one ship seeing a "tip jar" on the last night...lol.

I got to chat with an AO councelor on our sail through the Panama Canal. He got the day "off" so he could see the PC for the first time. While we stood at the railing for hours I tried to ask some questions without seeming too nosey. They do split out the tips evenly. He said this was his "pocket" money and tried no to spend too much of his actual paycheck. Most AO staff try to put their checks toward paying off student loans. He made it sound like most were trying to pay off loans and take time to figure out what they really want to do with the rest of their lives. He did say the best thing a person could do was list any excellent AO staff by NAME on the comment cards. He said this was the way staff could work their way up or move to a specific ship they wanted. He said comment cards or letters to corporate were highly sought after.

Archived