What is the Secret

Cruishappy@aol.com

Hi - We have been on msny cruises (58) and have never been upgraded - I have been that there are perhaps two reasons for this --- the first being that we usually choose to pick out our suite ---- the second is that it is the travel agent that is influentialy in obtaining an upgrade --- we will be sailing on the QM2 in December with a P3 guarantee- for the first time we did not pick out a specific suite and hopefully we will be considered for an upgrade - are there any suggestions from those of you that have been fortunate in receiving a call from the UPGRADE FAIRY -

There isn't any secret, but paying the highest price than anyone else in your category sure helps.

Booking early helps.

As does your agency having group space onboard.

He, the upgrade fairy, does what he wants, when he wants. With no rhyme nor reason at times.

There isn't any secret, but paying the highest price than anyone else in your category sure helps.

Booking early helps.

As does your agency having group space onboard.

He, the upgrade fairy, does what he wants, when he wants. With no rhyme nor reason at times.

I suspect, with not a shred of evidence, that booking a guarantee cabin helps. It was our first time on QE2, we booked a guarantee, only about 8 weeks before the cruise, at a heavily discounted price, and as far as I know our agent had no influence on our upgrade, and had no group space. We got a decent upgrade to the Grills.

However, ocngypz has far more experience booking Cunard than I do, and her comments regarding 'no rhyme or reason' seem to be borne out by the experience of others. There is someone on these boards who is a regular QE2 passenger (can't remember who it is) who has remarked in the past that he has never had an upgrade. This seems plain wrong to me, and it would be very nice if the upgrade fairy visited customers of long-standing in preference to newcomers. I didn't feel strongly enough about this to turn it down, however;).

Mary

We have been on 4 cruises now, though admittedly two of these were back to back, and we have never had an upgrade either! I don't think I am the person Mary refers to though. I suspect that on our 2nd (and 3rd) one, the B2B, the fact that we were 3 in a cabin went against our chances. On our last cruise we had linked as we had two cabins next to each other, again I suspect that hampered any chances.

Our last and final QE2 cruise next year is selling out, and we paid a very good price for our M5, so I very much doubt the Upgrade Fairy will visit us. My brother and his wife have received an upgrade every time they've sailed!

I have accepted that upgrades only ever happen to other people :rolleyes:

Hi - We have been on msny cruises (58) and have never been upgraded - I have been that there are perhaps two reasons for this --- the first being that we usually choose to pick out our suite ---- the second is that it is the travel agent that is influentialy in obtaining an upgrade --- we will be sailing on the QM2 in December with a P3 guarantee- for the first time we did not pick out a specific suite and hopefully we will be considered for an upgrade - are there any suggestions from those of you that have been fortunate in receiving a call from the UPGRADE FAIRY -

On my First Cunard Cruise on Caronia i was upgraded from an inside to an outside room .

I have been upgraded three times on the QE2, the last time being the trip i returned from today.

Also i had a large upgrade on QM2, from D7 to B5 !

I think booking early helps and maybe booking the most popular rooms, i.e, the one`s which sell out first.

regards,

Gav :cool:

Well I booked within 2 minutes of the cruise going on sale, and judging by how quickly the M5s sold out, I'd say it is pretty popular.

I still think there is more chance of me peeing in the wind, than getting an upgrade, as Kevin would say! :D

We got upgraded on our first crossing but not since then. I think it has a lot to do with when you travel.

Ironically, last Thursday we got a call from Cunard (well, the TA did) asking us if we were interested in 'downgrading' one category for an aft cabin (we are midships right now). While the wrap around balcony is tempting, I'm sticking with midships unless some offer comes in that is unbeatable. I spent over 24 hrs in bed last time in stateroom 9001 (QM2) during rough seas and vowed that I would never be at one of the extreme ends of the ship again.

We got upgraded on our first crossing but not since then. I think it has a lot to do with when you travel.

Ironically, last Thursday we got a call from Cunard (well, the TA did) asking us if we were interested in 'downgrading' one category for an aft cabin (we are midships right now). While the wrap around balcony is tempting, I'm sticking with midships unless some offer comes in that is unbeatable. I spent over 24 hrs in bed last time in stateroom 9001 (QM2) during rough seas and vowed that I would never be at one of the extreme ends of the ship again.

tell them you'll take an UPGrade to QG, or a complimentary cruise within the next year!

Or you'll do it if you can bring along your friend Karie (and her bf, Marc)in a separate (balcony minimum) cabin!

<LOL>

Well, I can try, can't I?

For Cunared to call to get you out of your assignment, means only one thing...............they need your cabin.. and it's time for your agent to play hardball.....and get you an UPGRADE, not to accept a downgrade.

Archived