What mil of wetsuit for KONA this time of year?

Carl2860

You wouldn't feel too hot in a 3mil. We did diving/snorkeling combo trip at the end of Aug., two years ago. We all wore 3mil long, I was diving and the others snorkeling. It was fine.

That wouldn't be warm enough for me. I was cold in a 3 mm full suit in August by the end of the dives, even with a hood. I wouldn't dive in Hawaii in anything less than a 5 mm.

Of course, everyone's thermal tolerance is different. I get cold easily.

That wouldn't be warm enough for me. I was cold in a 3 mm full suit in August by the end of the dives, even with a hood. I wouldn't dive in Hawaii in anything less than a 5 mm.

Of course, everyone's thermal tolerance is different. I get cold easily.

Thank you for your comment. I dove with Stuart Cove in Nassau on April 1 and the dive masters were wearing 5mm and I was wearing my 3mm with a hood and I was fine. One of the guys on the boat was from Canada and he did not wear a wetsuit, I could not look at him as I would start to shiver. LOL

I have been diving in Hawaii several times, but always in February or March. The water temp at that time of year is around 74-75 degrees. And keep in mind that I do not get cold easily.

I once used a rental 5mm farmer john bottom but was too warm. The next time I brought my 3mm full suit and was it was perfect. I probably could use my 3mm shorty but after a while it might bet to be a little cool.

If the water temps are over 80 then I would use the 3mm shorty.

I was just diving in Kona the end of Sept. The water temp during that time was 81 F. Almost everyone was using a 3mm and was very comfortable.

Thank you, I packed my 1mm for snorkeling and my 3mm with my 3mm hood. My dive bag is packed and sitting by the door "packed that before I started anything else", we leave Thursday morning.

Archived