Just back from the Serenade of the Seas!

ohhbother

Oh no! Oh no! I absolutely need to get closer than 3 miles to Hubbard.

I'm praying now - hope it works.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;7;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

<Marquee>I'm getting out there - SERENADE OF THE SEAS - July 18, 2004<Marquee>

I hope you get closer... I just read a review on the Radiance of the Seas that cruised the day before us.... The stayed 4.2 miles away from Hubbard, so it looks like our captain was a little braver!

From what I hear, you are able to get closer later in the season.

We hope to get closer too. Hopefully, people will keep providing status reports.

Thanks for your input.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;7;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

<Marquee>I'm getting out there - SERENADE OF THE SEAS - July 18, 2004<Marquee>

Here's US Forest Service site on Hubbard. Lots of info and pictures.

[url="http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/hubbard/index.html"]http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/hubbard/index.html[/url]

Just off Serenade (returned Sunday, June 20). Beautiful week - sunshine and warm. Our visit to Hubbard was enjoyed with perfect conditions. The captain sent out photograhers to video and take pictures of the Serenade against the glacier. We cruised to within one mile. Saw lots of calving with spectacular splashes and loud reports. We picked up three locals from the nearby village who narrated our cruise up to the glacier face. You're welcome to view photos taken while we were at Hubbard at [url="http://joecruize.smugmug.com/gallery/148042"]http://joecruize.smugmug.com/gallery/148042[/url] .

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=purple]TangoCruz, Thanks for the report. We are on the Serenade on 8/22 and love hearing great things about it. I have a question. Did they change the dining times at all on the day that you cruised through Misty Fjords? We are hoping that they may push the dining times back a little bit since we have early seating![/color][/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#800080][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#800080]Thanks.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#800080][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#800080]Michelle[/color][/font][/b]

Hi. My family just returned from the Serenade of the Seas on June 20th as well. The weather and scenery were fantastic. Alaska has to be the prettiest place on Earth.

On the day that we sailed through Misty Fjords, we decided to skip dinner in Reflecitons and instead ate outside at the Sea View Cafe on the 12th deck. We had a great meal (grilled tuna sandwich, fish and chips) and witnessed some of the most beautiful scenery we've ever seen. (Including the bears!) We were afraid that we would have missed it if we had stayed inside.

As for other comments on the trip. Our only disappointment was the food in reflections. We thought it was rather bland. The selections were OK, but it seemed like it was all pre-cooked and warmed up. The deserts were disappointing. I was expecting better.

Entertainment on the ship was fantastic. The cruise director was very, very good. The highlight for us was the "Bowser Rock & Roll Party" on Friday night. My 8 year old daughter won the hula hoop contest and had everyone in the audience cheering!!

Activities on board were great. We spent a lot of time on the rock wall and putt-putt course.

Our room was too small for us and I'm a little mad at our travel agent for that. We had a balcony room on deck 7 and it was too small for 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids), plus all of the suitcases.

Hope everyone has a great trip!! We did.

Serenade of the Seas June 2004
Disney Wonder July 2002
Disney Magic June 2000
Premier Oceanic July 1984
Premier Majesty June 1982

Mammado - Sorry, but they don't modify the Dinner times for Day 6. Early Seating is still 6:00 PM. The Serenade enters Misty Fiords al little after 5:00 PM. You could use one of the alternative dinner locations (Windjammer, Portofino, Sea View) and schedule for later in the evening.

Yes, there is a native Alaskan on board speaking about the glacier. Hopefully the people around you won't keep talking through it. There is also a women at Misty Fjords speaking as well.
Can't say exactly how close we were to Hubbard but I can't imagine that you can get much closer. It was awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
5) Formal Nights. Formal nights were Monday and Thursday. One note here -- my husband and I love to "play dress up" while cruising, so we went all out (tux, gown, etc.). We were in the minority. Dress on the Serenade was by far more casual than it was on the Disney ships. On many nights, there people in jeans and T-shirts. I don't like this, but I guess I'm in the minority.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh for crud sake. I just bought a new TUX and the DW bought a new gown for this cruise. What the heck is wrong with people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

Hi Everyone,
we just returned Sunday from our week on the Beautiful Seranade of the Seas to Alaska! Our day at Hubbard Glacier was fantastic, they had blankets and hot chocolate ready but as we pulled into the bay, the clouds broke and it was the most beautiful day, very warm and sunny, the visibility was great and we got about 200 yards from the Glacier so were able to witness some awesome sights of the glacier calving and the sounds that makes! The captain said it was about the best day he has ever seen there! We spent almost 3 hours just slowly turning around to see it. There was also many seals sunning themselves on the small icebergs in the bay, an absolutely fantastic day! Misty Fjords was the same, beautiful! we had early seating dinner and I kept getting up to see the view as we were on our way out so I kind of wished I had been outside then but also didn't want to miss a delicious dinner in Reflections, every meal we had was great! We also saw a large pod of Humpback whales along side our ship one night from our balcony, it was getting dark so I couldn't take any photos but we had quite a show of the whales spouting, tails splashing, and diving along with a few of their calves. We even heard the deep resondant sound they make which was what first caught my attention as we gazed at the water, it was quite something! Lots of Bald Eagles especially in Juneau on the tidal flats when the tide was out. A great trip! Gail

[b]Folgy[/b] - Don't give up - we are doing the whole formal thing too. I think that's part of the fun of cruising. I like to dress up.

[b]Gailann[/b] - thanks for your comments. They are predicting rain and clouds this coming week. I hope and pray that things clear up before we get there.

[b]Gingerclark[/b] - we'll be getting off the Serenade on the 25th. We'll leave it nice for you.

gailann, do you remember what day you saw the whales off your balcony? Were you near one of the ports, or a "sea day," Hubbard, or Inside Passage?? We will have a balcony off the starboard side, and plan to be watching out for whales as much as we are able, but if there is a more likely time to be aware of that would help!

thanks! glad you had a great time...
sarahjane

I will be sailing on the Serenade on 8/29 and have a few questions for anyone who can answer them:

First, are there trivia contests on board? Are they team or individual? Yes I am a trivia nut!

If anyone has done the dogsledding excursion, is there a lot of walking or hiking involved and how did you like it?

Did anyone have a junior suite and how did they like it, is it a good size for three people?

Thanks ahead of time!

Linda

Archived