5 things you hate about RC

I walked down to the customer desk and asked how much they put on my sons card, and I only put 20.00 on his card I had the reciept and they gave him 200.00 instead. well my son spent 200.00 on his sea pass on balls and games in 4 hours. lol I was so mad, they said that it was there fault and gave me 150.00 in cruise credit and credited me the 180.00 that he spent.

They credited you the $180 PLUS gave you $150 in cruise credit?. Now, that's the kind of guest relations staff I'd want representing my company. Awesome.

Jimmers:)

Enforcing the dress code, wish they would

Enforcing the deck chair hogging problem, wish they would

Food, return to quality levels of a few years ago, wish they would

Can I live with without these three things? You betcha!!!

Internet slow? Thank God! Means my boss has no expectations of my doing any work while on a cruise.

The only REAL complaint that I have about RCCL is the coffee.........I hate it. I keep trying it thinking that the next cup will be better, but not so. I'm not a hot tea drinker but while on the cruises I discovered that I like hot tea so that became my replacement for the coffee.

That is a small price to pay for having a wonderful week or two on the ocean being pampered.

I LOVE RCCL. I HATE their coffee. Our assistant waiter each night knew to bring me hot water to water it down. In Windjammer, I wasn't able to take advantage of the servers' offer to get me a cup of coffee since I needed to doctor it up myself. Nice thing to have that hot water handy.

Windjammer closes far too early. It should be open 24/7 or close to it. One gets tired of running up topside and only pizza is available. Johnny Rockets even closes at 11pm..Too early....Only other choice was to go to room and order room service, not the greatest choice..This was on the 4 nite SOS..dunno what they do on 7 or longer nite cruises.Princess and other lines seem to have their Lido buffet open 24/7, at least for a few items...They need to get with it!

Thank you very much OP; I think this was a great subject to bring up. It is a very helpful subject (although there is not much that bothers people on RC - which is good), I can now avoid or expect certain things from RC.

The OC started out very positive and even stated they would cruise RC again. Yes these are little things, but good information.

I have only been on one cruise (Disney) and the internet was very slow. I would expect that is the case with all cruises. I am for from an IP or technical person, but I would think things like the weather, poisitioning, etc would affect it. I agree with those of you who don't understand why we would even want internet, but some of us run our own company and are able to vacation a lot because we do take a couple of hours out of our vacation to stay up on our jobs. Otherwise we would have to stay home more. Would rather be vacationing and take 4-8 hours out of 7 days to do work than hang out at home to troubleshoot.

The cruise lines need to put cabins where they can, but it would be nice if they would post something stating that "outside your cabin is service ways, be careful of people being able to see in your cabin". Then you are warned and can make your decision on open or closed curtains based on the information.

Again, thank you. This is helpful and really is no different than the threads that start with ideas or other words. It is just the wording.

Linda

remember that is cruise credits not necessarily cruises and could in reality be only 60 cruises.

When I've been to these return cruiser events, they usually ask about how many cruises you've taken w/ Royal Carib, not how many "cruise credits" you have.

The pictures can be annoying. On my last cruise a month ago they certainly printed every single one even though they now have the kiosks. Tons of waste. However it is *much* easier to compare/review them in-print. On my honeymoon 3 years ago, they had numbered spaces where you could corral your pics for review at the end. With the kiosks they seem to have done away with this, which is annoying.

$20 for 8x10 seems way too much, but it's fairly standard for "professional" pics. If it was cheaper I'd certainly buy more than just one or two.

But here's what I hate: They take a pic, shrink it to 4x6 and then print it on 8x10 paper with all kinds of crap surrounding it and then charge the 8x10 price. At least with the kiosks you can print them the way you want.

I'd love to see them charge a flat fee for a CD of all your pics.

But if there is one thing I truly hate about RCCL it is that they seem to be absolutely abysmal at CROWD CONTROL. The only place on the ship where you will ever find a cattle chute to line up in is at Guest Relations. Everywhere else it's pretty much always a free-for-all that leaves most of us at the mercy of jerks and people travelling from countries where lining up/queuing isn't deeply ingrained in their culture.

Oh and we were also very annoyed because A) Explorations desk told us that shuttle from Black Falcon Cruise Terminal to Faneuil Hall would be complementary and then when we got there it was not and B) The fee was $8 one way/$12 R/T. Getting a taxi was both cheaper and more convenient and would be so for pretty much anyone not traveling alone. Would be nice if the Explorations people had their story straight. Would have been nice of RCCL to offer the shuttle free or cheap.

And to answer your question, there is nothing I HATE about Royal Caribbean.

ITA!! I have cruised with RCI 8 times already and plan to return. I don't want freestyle cruising. I like being assign a table. I like eating with people and hopefully making a new friend or two. I have always lucked out never had a nutjob. I don't cruise to go on the internet so whether it's slow or fast I don't care.

I have no complaint's about RCI except I want to stay on an extra week or two and they don't allow that.:(

I feel pretty fortunate after reading through this thread, though, because:

1. I couldn't care less about how fast the internet is, when I'm on a cruise.

2. I don't drink coffee, so I don't care whether they have good coffee or not.

3. I have no desire to mix my own drinks in my room, so don't care about the alcohol policy.

4. I've always had very good service from our cabin stewards.

5. I've basically never really needed anything from guest relations.

6. I've never had crew members peek in through my balcony window.

7. I don't care that the ship photographers take my picture from time to time.

8. RCI went above and beyond in compensating us the one time we had a major problem.

The wine tends to be overpriced. That's about all I can come up with. :)

Wow, lots of hyper-critical folks on this thread.

Not the ones complaining about things on the ships, the people bashing the folks sharing their opinion.

You know what? I've been married 14 years, and I'm sure I could name 5 things I hate about my wife! (I'm sure her list would be longer!) Doesn't mean I don't love her.

If you came on this thread only to tell the original poster why you would 'never' say you hate anything about a cruise line, or question their motives, or do anything except answer the question that they asked in what I'm guessing was an honest attempt to gather information...you should disengage from the Internet for a few days and really question why you feel the need to be so critical.

That said:

I HATE:

- That I have to check the webpage every 15 minutes to try and get the room I want.

- That I can't take alcohol aboard

- That I live in a city called PORTland, and no major ships sail out of the port here.

On the other cruise lines that offer "Anytime" dining they also allow you to choose traditional..o it's about choice..A choice not available on RCCL..Even HAL is changing over to allow both..it makes sense..Why be on a regimented schedule re dining if you choose not to!!? I don't understand why that would be an issue if you are not forced into "Anytime" dining and have the traditional option available..

My wife and I just got off the Northern Europe cruise on the Jewel of the Seas a few weeks ago and we had a great trip. We got to meet new friends, saw great places and loved cruising with Royal Caribbean. It was our second cruise with RC and wont be our last.

However if you had to list 5 things you hated, or think RC could do better what would they be?

Mine are

1. The internet.

Unless you're at port the internet connection is utterly useless, and even then it's painfully slow. Most of the terminals don't work and you have to try multiple times and on multiple machines before you can get online sometimes. I lost count of the people that complained about the internet during my cruise.

2. Guest Relations.

Maybe it's because they don't get tips for good service I have always found them to be helpful, but by no means excellent. Anything that requires too much effort, like finding information sheets about local train times at ports is always a hassle.

3. Attention to Detail.

Our room attendants have always been excellent, but when it comes to restocking the necessities like washing bags and sanitary bags we're always left asking.

4. Photos on Board

Each cruise we buy about 5 or 6 pictures but generally pose for about 20 or more. I feel bad about wasting so many photos that end up in the trash. For the most part if you don't pose when coming off the ship it seems rude, but if you do, then I feel somewhat obligated to buy them. Maybe a digital system where you could preview all your photos on a screen or RCTV before they print them would be better.

5. Deck 7

The first time we cruised it was on deck 9 but the second time it was on deck 7 which just so happens to be level with a roof line that maintenance use as an access point to walk across, normally when you least expect it. We tended to have a false sense of security from our first cruise and would leave the blinds open while changing or just lazing about. However not any more. The maintenance crew would ALWAYS look in when they walk pasted which is extremely annoying and a breach of privacy IMO.

What about you guys. Anything you think RC could do better??

1. I wish Royal Caribbean had washers and dryers the passengers could use to wash their clothes. It may be all right for a 6 or 7-night cruise, but last month my wife and I were on a 14-night cruise, and in a sense I was a captive audience. I needed the ship's laundry but didn't appreciate the bill.

2. The toilets can blow your ears off. I know the Radiance, and other ships as well, have an advanced system for waste disposal, but my wife is sensitive to noise, and even with a closed bathroom door, IO hope she was never woken up.

3. We had our choice, and did not use the Internet. It would be nice if Royal Caribbean offered complimentary Internet service to the passengers. If I found it in hotels throughout Alaska, then Royal Caribbean should follow suit.

4. I can understand charges for alcoholic drinks, but why for cappuccino or soft drinks? I would appreciate the opportunith to get ginger ale ona regular basis, as it has the ability to sooth and settle the stomach: a must when you combine all the food they serve with rocking of the ship in heavy seas.

5. We had a great Cabin Attendant, but one passenger indicated her attendant picked up towels she wanted replaced (and we were requested to put these on the floor) and put them back on the rack. A definite health hazard to the passenger and whoever she shared the room with, to the attendant and the crew, as well as to the whole ship and even those at the ports-of-call.

To the poster who mentioned crowd control, I agree. This shows up most often during debarkation. RCL asks you to leave your cabin (I understand they have a limited time to turn the cabins over for the next cruise) and drag your carry-on bags to the public areas. They then do not have any personnel visible in these areas to deal with the people in a hurry to catch their flights or just in a hurry to no longer need to drag their stuff around so cutting in lines (if any lines form at all) happens and tempers flare. The staff is then so busy getting ready for the next set of passengers that you cannot get any help if problems arise. It seems that after the ship docks they have your money and they no longer care. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth after a very relaxing week.

1. I wish Royal Caribbean had washers and dryers the passengers could use to wash their clothes. It may be all right for a 6 or 7-night cruise, but last month my wife and I were on a 14-night cruise, and in a sense I was a captive audience. I needed the ship's laundry but didn't appreciate the bill.

Oh yeah! Doing laundry on a cruise ship! One more thing to add to my list of things I have no desire to do. :)

2. Guest Relations.

Maybe it's because they don't get tips for good service I have always found them to be helpful, but by no means excellent. Anything that requires too much effort, like finding information sheets about local train times at ports is always a hassle.

3. Attention to Detail.

Our room attendants have always been excellent, but when it comes to restocking the necessities like washing bags and sanitary bags we're always left asking.

I AGREE.

Being on other cruise lines, hate me or not....I have to agree, they were the worst when it came to these two items!!

1) Debarkation -- There has GOT to be a better way. We did one NCL cruise and could at least stay in our cabin until our color was called - that was MUCH better. But all in all, if we dock at 5:00am, I'd like to be off by 6:00am! That's just me. At the very least they could do SOMETHING to try to keep us entertained.

2) Better Internet service and freely available (like in most hotels)

3) Better selection of complementary beverages (even if limited)

4) Formal-option night. Let the dresser-upers have their fun, let the rest of us eat a decent meal in peace (instead of being relegated to the windjammer). Segregate the groups if need be, but don't make us all "suffer" (anytime I have to wear pantyhose, it is NOT a vacation!)

5) More exotic itineraries. (this IS an area where RCCI has really been improving - that's why it is five, instead of a lower number!)

Just my opinion!

Errr, so the general consensus here is that RC are perfect?

No complaints at all?

I booked a cabin one time on deck seven, I think the view is obstructed because of that roof thing that workman walk on, I like to be able to look down towards the sea. I now book foward of the life boats and the roof obstruction. That is the only complaint that I have ever had. Lorelle

If I had a business I'd make sure that my repeat customers got the better perks and upgrades but perhaps they realize that we are Diamond and will continue to sail so they throw the "upgrade bait" to the newbies to keep em' comin' back!!!

Pam

While from the customers point of view I agree, from the business point of view I think it´s better to give the upgrade bait to the newbies.

I´m D+ now and got in all those cruises one upgrade from Balcony to JS. It was not my first cruise, but still a lowly gold and my first balcony at all. From their point of view they did the right thing, because they hooked me to the Suites (including the not real suite JS;) ). Only once I got back to a regular balcony and that was just because no JS or higher available.

I guess it´s better business for them to hook the newbies the D(+) people are already sold;)

Re the Internet speed all I can say is use your own Laptop and the WiFi, it´s not that bad. Usually connects at 11Mbps.

I´ve never stayed on Deck 7 on Jewel, however the lifeboatcover in front of your balcony is not a walkway for crew. There might be maintanance people outside especially while in port, but hey I wouldn´t even care, if they look into my cabin and see me in there all nekkid, they probably learn their lesson pretty quick not to peek in there:eek: :p :D

Are you referring to the Seatle's Best in the Promenade?. One of my favorite things. I did notice on our last cruise that it seemed a tad stronger than previous ones but I still find it to be good. I'd rather have Dunkin Donuts coffee but Seatle's Best is acceptable.

BTW, anyone know if they have Seatle's Best on the Jewel of the Seas.

Jimmers

They have Seattles Best on the Jewel. yum Lorelle

I can't stand the lack of communication within RC regarding accessible excursions. My parents contacted the special needs group before their cruise to verify what excursions could be accessible and booked a couple. They confirmed with the shore excursions desk when they got onboard that an accessible bus would be available. When they got to their tour, no accessible bus was available. The story from the tour company is they don't offer an accessible bus so RC should never have told my parents that one was available.

My parents got their money back but lost time in the port going back to the ship for a tour they could not do.

Archived