Cigars/Rum

CanadianEh!

Which of the following would be the best place to get cigars?

Grand cayman

Cozumel

Belize

Roatan

with DW being pregnant i want to pick some cigars to bring back while on the cruise something special to give to her Dad and Grandpa as it will be her dads first and her grandpas First Great Grand Child.

We will be coming back to Tampa and staying for a day and then going on to Canada so i will need something that wont cause grief at either customs stop.

Personally i know jack squat about cigars so any recommendations on type and place would be great

As well i need to bring my boss back some rum so if anyone has any recommendations on that as well :)

Thanks

Which of the following would be the best place to get cigars?

Grand cayman

Cozumel

Belize

Roatan

with DW being pregnant i want to pick some cigars to bring back while on the cruise something special to give to her Dad and Grandpa as it will be her dads first and her grandpas First Great Grand Child.

We will be coming back to Tampa and staying for a day and then going on to Canada so i will need something that wont cause grief at either customs stop.

Personally i know jack squat about cigars so any recommendations on type and place would be great

As well i need to bring my boss back some rum so if anyone has any recommendations on that as well :)

Thanks

Even though you are Canadian, you cannot bring Cuban cigars, so your best bet is to find a reputable cigar shop that is willing to sell you a non-"cuban" cigar (there are many counterfeits, hence the quotes).

• You could probably do ok with Churchill's or Flagship in Georgetown. Look for Honduran or Dominican.
  • I don't recall seeing any store in Roatan (Honduras) or Belize that looked trustworthy.
  • The vendors in Coz are too busy trying to push fake Cubans. I had to argue with the guy that I did not want a Cuban, then wound up with a worm-eaten Mexican piece of garbage for $8 that I threw away. There used to be a Habano dealer here, but I understand it is no longer open. Maybe others have advice here.

For rum I prefer Gosling's Bermuda rum. So sweet you don't need a mixer. Great with a cigar!

Off the question for a sec. Isnt Cuban cigars legal in Canada? and how hard is it to smuggle them in to USA

They are not illegal in Canada, but they are illegal in the US even when passing through. Not worth it IMO since there are so many great non-Cuban cigars.

The Havana Club in Coz is legit, but PRICEY!!!!

I was there a month ago and a Cohiba Siglo VI was $30!!!!

They're real, but they're expensive! ;)

Grand Caymen has an LCDH, which is the only true place to get Cuban cigars. The Havana Club is not an LCDH (Coz) but it does sell legit stuff. I've heard the Grand Cayment LCDH is just as, if not more expensive as Coz, so you're in for an expensive trip!

Better bring your own! I do!

I was wondering the same thing about the rum. We usually go to Cuba or Dominican where rum factories are everywhere and rum is cheaper than just about any other kind of drink. Guess it looks like Tequila for us!

yeah we were in the dominican this year nothing beats the 3 dollar bottle of rum :)

I used to load up on that, but you can get cheap rum in the states also, maybe $7 a bottle.

So you are really only "making" $4 a bottle. Nowadays, I but the good stuff like Gosling Black Seal, Mount Gay Extra Old, or Appleton. You can get very good deals in the Caribbean/Bermuda on these and get much more bang for the buck.

Much easier to get one or two bottles home now with the TSA restrictions also ;)

My cruise last Dec to Barbados, Mount Gay rum was selling for around $7.00 at the duty free shops in port. As we were walkiing back to the ship I see these pallets of supplies being loaded back onto the ship. What do I see? Cases and cases of Mount Gay rum on these pallets.

Now up here in Edmonton, a bottle goes for just over $20 and I do not mind paying $5 for a shot in a bar. But on the ship when the price of one drink almost covers the cost of the whole bottle, that is getting a bit excessive. No wonder why people smuggle.....who me?

As far as cigars, not sure where in Alberta you are Canadian Eh, but you can get good quality cubans at many reputable smoke stores in the Edmonton area. Not sure if you would want to spend over $20 per cuban cigar if you or others are not into cigars.

My cruise last Dec to Barbados, Mount Gay rum was selling for around $7.00 at the duty free shops in port. As we were walkiing back to the ship I see these pallets of supplies being loaded back onto the ship. What do I see? Cases and cases of Mount Gay rum on these pallets.

Now up here in Edmonton, a bottle goes for just over $20 and I do not mind paying $5 for a shot in a bar. But on the ship when the price of one drink almost covers the cost of the whole bottle, that is getting a bit excessive. No wonder why people smuggle.....who me?

As far as cigars, not sure where in Alberta you are Canadian Eh, but you can get good quality cubans at many reputable smoke stores in the Edmonton area. Not sure if you would want to spend over $20 per cuban cigar if you or others are not into cigars.

I am from Calgary (Go Flames Go)

Well personally i will spend 20 per cigar for them as it is the first grand child and great grand child but i want to try and get something from the Caribbean while we are there.

Archived