Kids Dining Room Attire - Casual Nights

abba_dabba_doo

What do your kids usually wear on casual nights in the dining room? I'm assuming that since shorts and flip flops are not appropriate for us, then they aren't appropriate for them either.........but are tank tops, camis or halter style tops okay for young girls? I'm thinking a cute top w/a skirt or capris would be good for my DD's, but just wasn't sure if those were appropriate?

The dress code applies to kids and adults equally. Take a look at your cruise docs to see what's not allowed. You could also do a search on this forum...I know this has been discussed in depth.

Be sure to bring a light sweater for your daughter to dinner. Believe it or not, it can get pretty chilly on the ship!

The dress code applies to kids and adults equally. Take a look at your cruise docs to see what's not allowed. You could also do a search on this forum...I know this has been discussed in depth.

Be sure to bring a light sweater for your daughter to dinner. Believe it or not, it can get pretty chilly on the ship!

I did a search and everything was for either boys or formal nights.....nothing about if tanks, camis, halters were okay for young girls (and yes, I'll bring a long a sweater) :)

I think a good rule of thumb is to think about whether you would wear the outfit yourself - patterns and styles aside I mean - would you wear capris and a nice cami? If so, then your daughter will likely be fine in a similar outfit. Would you wear a halter top? If so... well, you get my point. As long as you don't wear the clothing they have deemed inappropriate, I think anything else is going to be much more about quality and cleanliness. My daughter has tank tops that I would feel very comfortable taking her to the formal dining room in and others that are strictly for playtime.

For me (I would say 'us' but I pretty much dress my husband, too! ha ha), I use my 'regular' judgement according to what I might wear to different restaurants at home. Casual night or not, the formal dining room on a ship is still a formal dining room, so I like to 'dress for dinner'. Of course, I LIKE dressing up, so when I cruise, I take every opportunity to wear some of the nicer clothes in my wardrobe. Goodness knows my husband never takes me anywhere. :p

I think a good rule of thumb is to think about whether you would wear the outfit yourself - patterns and styles aside I mean - would you wear capris and a nice cami? If so, then your daughter will likely be fine in a similar outfit. Would you wear a halter top? If so... well, you get my point. As long as you don't wear the clothing they have deemed inappropriate, I think anything else is going to be much more about quality and cleanliness. My daughter has tank tops that I would feel very comfortable taking her to the formal dining room in and others that are strictly for playtime.

My daughter can wear ANYTHING and look fabulous. The only way I even would look passable is with a extra-sized trash bag with holes cut out for breathing :eek: (hmm, might want to rethink the holes - maybe I'd look better with a blue complection! -- it works for the blueman group!).

My daughter can wear ANYTHING and look fabulous. The only way I even would look passable is with a extra-sized trash bag with holes cut out for breathing :eek: (hmm, might want to rethink the holes - maybe I'd look better with a blue complection! -- it works for the blueman group!).

ha ha ha ha ha I know what you mean!! Actually, maybe I should rephrase that part about asking myself if I'd wear the outfit myself... How about I'd wear it if I had the body for it... :p I personally prefer the leaf bags we can get around here - they're a lovely translucent blue, great for wearing over a slimming black under-outfit! hee hee

If it is OK for school/church/dining at home in a local NICE resturant then it is OK on ship. I don't understand why I always seem to see some people running in LATE, dressed like they would never dream of dressing at home when dining out. Each to their own...I will have a good time no matter. Your children will probably be great, have a wonderful time, make fantastic memories all because they know you care.

If it is OK for school/church/dining at home in a local NICE resturant then it is OK on ship. I don't understand why I always seem to see some people running in LATE, dressed like they would never dream of dressing at home when dining out. Each to their own...I will have a good time no matter. Your children will probably be great, have a wonderful time, make fantastic memories all because they know you care.
You never know maybe that's how they would dress. :eek:

I guess I have it easy on the casual nights since I have a boy. I've just been picking up nice slacks and tops every once in a while that would be appropriate. I'm more concerned about formal nights because I'm not buying a suit that he'll only wear on the cruise. LOL I'm thinking I'll see more appropriate things as we get closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas or at least so I'm hoping.

My daughter usually wears sundresses and bike shorts on cruises, and she wears the same thing to the dining room on casual nights.

My son usually wears a nice shirt and shorts in the day, then we switch him to beach pants or regular khakis for the dining room. His Dad does the same thing, so there's never any fuss from him.

Yes, capris are perfectly fine. Even for adults. :)

My 7 year old will take any opportunity to wear a dress. And my 3 year old is following in my 7 year old's footsteps. So if you look in my signature, the picture on the right with them against the white background...that was taken on RCCL Freedom on "Casual Night".

For them, there is no such thing as "casual night" :rolleyes: I am raising 2 divas.

Yeah we are doing "formal" dresses on the two formal nights but we are still dressing up really nice the other nights because it is fun to get all dressed up. We rarely ever get to do it.

Am glad about the capri's my cousin is bringing a pretty outfits of white dress capris and a red and white polka dot shirt (spaghetti straps) but it is still dressy.

Generally anyone posting here asking "would this be ok" for casual night PROBABLY already has the right idea about casual night.

It is the great mass of oblivious out there who don't stop to think about whether their dress, their behavior, or their manners is correct that are generally the offenders.

We have "business casual" days at work -- while 80% of us do just fine (men in dockers and some sort of collared shirt, women in the women's equivelent) -- it is that 20% slice that are clueless. Most of the clueless can stay within the basic rules -- no blue jeans, long pants, no t-shirts with any writing or picture (beyond a logo of less than two square inches), etc. but those "rules" seem to be either stretched beyond all limits of reason ("these are not shorts, they are cropped capris" :confused: Or the famous "but the policy does say ANYTHING about bare midrifts!" -- that proved those who thought that the "bare midrift" rule would simply be "understood" were wrong in less than two weeks when that comment came up! :D ). But then there are those who are technically within the rules who still don't get it right -- things that are woren or ripped, outfits that just do not cover quite enough, outfits that may have fit a few years back and just don't any more.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm no fashion plate! I'm overweight, with no complextion and perrenieal frizzy hair; and I try not to judge anyone by what they look like, but sometimes I cannot help but to think that some of these folks don't take their jobs very seriously and/or don't really respect the rest of us when they show up in an outfit that I wouldn't wear outside when I'm going out to wash the storm windows! But in most cases their dress is not indicative of their attitude, it is just they way they are.

Generally anyone posting here asking "would this be ok" for casual night PROBABLY already has the right idea about casual night.

It is the great mass of oblivious out there who don't stop to think about whether their dress, their behavior, or their manners is correct that are generally the offenders.

We have "business casual" days at work -- while 80% of us do just fine (men in dockers and some sort of collared shirt, women in the women's equivelent) -- it is that 20% slice that are clueless. Most of the clueless can stay within the basic rules -- no blue jeans, long pants, no t-shirts with any writing or picture (beyond a logo of less than two square inches), etc. but those "rules" seem to be either stretched beyond all limits of reason ("these are not shorts, they are cropped capris" :confused: Or the famous "but the policy does say ANYTHING about bare midrifts!" -- that proved those who thought that the "bare midrift" rule would simply be "understood" were wrong in less than two weeks when that comment came up! :D ). But then there are those who are technically within the rules who still don't get it right -- things that are woren or ripped, outfits that just do not cover quite enough, outfits that may have fit a few years back and just don't any more.

I hear ya!! It's always those few people that ruin it for the rest of us cause they have no clue that what they are wearing just isn't acceptable. My company stayed away from business casual for many years (for that exact reason that some people breaking the rules just ruin it for everyone). They however, just recently institued business casual every day, but they are always reinforcing the "rules" and sending out reminders of what is acceptable and what isn't. Of course you still see people in jeans, really short mini skits, bare midrifts, really tight pants and just clothes that you'd wear around the house, not to a place of business.....oh well, I guess some people are just like that:rolleyes: !

What about boys? I have a 5 and almost 10 year old and I was planning on them wearing nice shorts (cargo style, not saggy at all) and a nice shirt. Is this ok or do I have to have them wear khakis?

Kids are governed by the same rules as adults. When the dress code kicks in and adults are not allowed to wear shorts, kids need to change also.

So much to think about when you bring kids!

I totally agree! My next cruise, I will be taking my kids (their first cruise) and I believe I am more anxious then they are. So much planning. But what I believe I am going to do with my DD its going to be soooo easy. She is a real girly, girl. You only have to tell her once that we are dressing up and she will take it to another level :D . My boys (I have 2) won't give me a problem either, its just finding just the right thing. I really want to see them in tuxedo shirts and dress pants for formal wear. And khakis and shirts for casual. I think they will look so cute. I can't wait.

Archived