Currency

cruisintwinsmom

They do have their own currency, it has, I believe, Queen Elizabeth II on it. I am not sure what currency it is exactly, however, they readily accept the USD. I have been there @ 4 times and have always been able to use the USD. It is likely you may come back with some of their currency b/c even though you pay in USD, you may get change back in their currency. You can, however, exchange it if you remember to before you leave. I love Bermuda.

They do have their own currency (Bermuda dollar) but happily take the American dollar. Their currency is tied to the US $ so there is no exchange rate issue.

Also, they prefer that you not take their money off island as they save money on their currency by not "losing" it to tourists.

Appearance wise their money looks very similar to Pounds.

I have been to that great island country about 10 times. It is easy to come away with the impression that the currency of Bermuda is the US$ since 9 times out of 10 it is the currency used in a transaction since most of the island is populated with American tourists like myself. They do have their own currency but it must be saved for Bermudians since I only rarely receive any and usually as a few coins. I guess it is a way for the Treasury of Bermuda to save money on printing costs!

We have always used US$ in Bermuda, and received US$ in change...other than a few Bermudian coins. Keep in mind, the ATM's will give you Bermudian money...so plan accordingly, it is difficult to exchange once you've left the island.

My brother-in-law did exactly that and now has a $50 Bermuda bill in his wallet. Luckily I'm heading to the beautiful island in 15 days so I offered to convert it to US and take their money back with me.

Thank you especially for the heads up about the ATMs. Certainly don't want to bring home money that I would have to exchange at a poor rate at a bank and then pay a fee on top of that. However, it might be fun to take out a few dollars to give the DDs to spend. It's like spending play money!

Archived