Princess vs. RCI-help!

We have sailed only once, on the Caribbean Princess. I had an excellent experience for the most part with the exception of a couple of things. I thought the food and beverage service lacked, they weren't very engaging and didn't seem like they were having fun. Also, the age of the other passengers seemed a little older than what I was hoping for. We are upper 30's. I loved the beauty, comfort of the ship we were on and would miss "Movies Under the Stars" greatly. We are really thinking of taking Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan or Serenade, but after reading some reviews, I'm more confused than ever. Can any of you compare these particular areas between RCI and Princess?

I have been on 5 Princess and 3 RCCL and in my opinion while they are close RCCL has that little extra something. The crew truly seems sincere in their efforts to help you, like they really enjoy it which is something that was lacking from our Princess cruises. I feel all areas of RCCL are just a tad above, food,service, entertainment etc.

I have been on Serenade last month on Alaska and AOS sister ship Explorer and both were wonderful but I am a huge fan of the Serenade and her sister ships of the Radiance class.

If you would like to see pictures click on the link in my signature.

Thank you for sharing your pictures! It makes me want to be there now! Can I ask you, do you enjoy the smaller Serenade or a larger one, like Adventure? Is my understanding on their sizes correct?

I would love to hear other peoples opinions too.

Both class of ships are great but the smaller Radiance class is easier to navigate through.I really did enjoy the PR cabin we had overlooking the Royal Promenade on Adventure.

IMO, both Princess and Royal Caribbean are similar in products and service offered but my my preference is to RC as I feel the entertainment and activities onboard their ships are better.

I agree that RCI and Princess are very close but I too give the edge to RCI. I have sailed on Caribbean Princess and Radiance class as well on RCI and Voyager class.

I personally favour the larger Voyager class and I think it compares more closely to the Caribbean Princess.

Movies under the Stars is nice but I would choose the Royal Promenade area on the Voyager class over MUTS.

a few things I liked better on RCI...set up of Windjammer much better than Horizon Court, Specialy restaurant Portofino better than Sabatini, friendlier staff, better entertainment in the theatre and larger theatre with plenty of seats. I personally do not favour Anytime Dining so like the set dining on RCI.

With that being said I sail in 1 month on Princess's newest ship Emerald Princess..could not beat the itinerary. have fun choosing :)

Thank you for sharing your pictures! It makes me want to be there now! Can I ask you, do you enjoy the smaller Serenade or a larger one, like Adventure? Is my understanding on their sizes correct?

I would love to hear other peoples opinions too.

I love the Radiance class with all the glass and gorgeous views. The Explorer was nice but I actually felt a little claustrophobic in the promenade area.

Hello,

In my opinion, I think if you are looking for a more younger crowd, the bigger vessels would be a good fit for you. THe radiance class ships usually have an older crowd---but the ship is gorgeous. The Voyager class ships have the ice skating shows, promenade, full size basketball court. If you are active, the larger ships are the best. If you wanted a more intimate, low key type of cruise, go with the Radiance class. One thing about the Adventure of the Seas..it's out of San Juan....I'm not trying to be judgemental...but if the cruise isn't filled, the locals get a huge discount and basically take over the ship. Some people find that they are rude and push there way through lines. Usually the music turns into a Raggaeton theme..since that's the music they love to hear. I say for a great big ship experience..go with Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canaveral or Freedom or Liberty of the Seas.

with Princess, absolutley none. But found them to be "vanilla". We get off a Princess cruise and smile but just don't find anything memorable. The food is good, entertainment is ok, but nothing seems to stand out for us.

But, we will return to Princess again. Our preferences are Celebrity, Royal Caribbean then Princess.

just thought I would add my 2 cents worth, we have sailed 8 times with Princess, twice on Holland America and have just completed a cruise on Explorer of the Seas, I prefer Princess hands down. The ship was absolutely breathtaking, however the pizza was like in a mall not the freshly made ones you get on Princess. The food in the dining room was mediocre not bad but only one meal was good. The Windjammer was like going to a cattle drive, tables were not cleaned when we tried lunch up there I had to personally remove about 10 glasses and no one even noticed. The entertainment was very thin only one show a night. The Ice Show was amazing. When it came time to deliver the bills, it is on a sheet of paper just stuck in your door for any one to see. Would I sail on RCL again yes but only for an excellent price and a great itinerary. Fiona

I want to thank everyone for their input. I really appreciate it. Well, we took advantage of the sale today and booked the Seranade. When I got to thinking about everything, and there was A LOT to think about, I thought back to my Princess cruise and determined what I liked the most about cruising was waking up to a different country each day. We have been to Aruba, so we decided to do the Seranade cruise, which doesn't include Aruba, we wanted to see everything we could. I'm anxious to try Royal, as I have heard very great things about it! Thanks for all of the help! Can't wait!

Are Princess and RCI about the same in price also?. Is Carnival the least expensive as many have said?

I'm an RCI fan but have thought about trying a different line out for a change of pace, routine and scenery.

Thanks

Jimmers

I want to thank everyone for their input. I really appreciate it. Well, we took advantage of the sale today and booked the Seranade. When I got to thinking about everything, and there was A LOT to think about, I thought back to my Princess cruise and determined what I liked the most about cruising was waking up to a different country each day. We have been to Aruba, so we decided to do the Seranade cruise, which doesn't include Aruba, we wanted to see everything we could. I'm anxious to try Royal, as I have heard very great things about it! Thanks for all of the help! Can't wait!

My lady and I will be on Serenade next March....I can't wait either. It really looks like a beautiful ship. Actually, I have a Princess DVD and those ships look really pretty too, and wow, all those pools.

I've already been on this itinerary in '05 on Adventure (btw, I am among the unimpressed with the Promenade) and I've got to tell you, wait until you see the beautiful beaches of Antigua......and apply LOTS of sunscreen.:)

Archived