New Menus

davewilliamt

Did they change the menu to discourage people from ordering too much?

Dave,

Interesting point/question.

I believe that the cruiselines are almost always looking at subtle ways to lower their expenses. After all, they are owned by huge corporations that need to figure out how to increase the bottom line each year.

When I first began cruising ~11 years ago, they listed each course in separate groups, i.e. appetizers, soups, salads, main courses, desserts. Then I noticed another cruiseline recently grouped their appetizers and soups together in one list. Yes, I think it was to subtly suggest to newbies to pick just one from the list.

Then I noticed that, on both RCI and (now) Princess, on the famous 'Lobster Night', they started to add shrimp to the lobster entree. Was this to encourage people to eat both types of seafood, leaving less room for the inevitable 5 lobster tails that some of us consume? I think you already know what I believe :)

Mostly what I see is a change in format. What's shown has always been on the menu. Except, possibly the vegetarian menu instead of "heart smart". The "always available" was there before, but not shown as prominently as it is now. I also see that there is still prime rib at sail away dinner.

They are very sharp in the way they have redesigned the new menus. On our last cruise (anytime dining) almost every night "newbies" would always order less than people that have been on many cruises.....The lobster night was a total flop........ the lobster was tough and the shrimp were very fishy.....waiting for the waiter to remove the shell from the lobster was a joke.....they had no intention of doing it and when ask to do so he stated that "it was prepared in a way that you should be able to do it yourself, but I will do it if you wish". .....and then proceeded to chase the tail all around the table without removing it.....proceed to take it back and get another plate and still could not get it to come out of it's shell......My DH said he would take care of it.....and the rest of the meal went a little sour. TO ALL First Time Cruisers.......ORDER WHAT YOU WANT!:D

we loved the new menus - we ordered what we wanted and as much as we wanted. On lobster night they add two large prawns to the lobster tail. IMO its to discourage people from ordering so much. Its was a lot of food especially because I order Beef Wellington with my lobster...Gota have surf and turf :)

I thought the food and service was excellent.

They are very sharp in the way they have redesigned the new menus. On our last cruise (anytime dining) almost every night "newbies" would always order less than people that have been on many cruises.....The lobster night was a total flop........ the lobster was tough and the shrimp were very fishy.....waiting for the waiter to remove the shell from the lobster was a joke.....they had no intention of doing it and when ask to do so he stated that "it was prepared in a way that you should be able to do it yourself, but I will do it if you wish". .....and then proceeded to chase the tail all around the table without removing it.....proceed to take it back and get another plate and still could not get it to come out of it's shell......My DH said he would take care of it.....and the rest of the meal went a little sour. TO ALL First Time Cruisers.......ORDER WHAT YOU WANT!:D

Sorry to hear that, we are from FL and we get fresh prawns all the time and I thought the ones on the ship were very good. My father in law dives for lobster and the Lobster tails on the ship were good (maybe a little small) I think the smaller the tail the more tasty the meat.

The waiter and his assistant came right back to take our shells off and they couldn't believe we had already taken care of it..(all 6 of us) .they looked in shock, we laughed and said we are use to this and they took our shells away.

Archived