Question About Taxis

ppfqp

If you take a taxi to a beach or to shopping -- how do you pay? Use American dollars? Do you have to get local currency? Do they take travelers checks?

I am also wondering the same thing about the water taxi that everyone talks about, as well as the shops. Do they take credit cards?

If you take a taxi to a beach or to shopping -- how do you pay? Use American dollars? Do you have to get local currency? Do they take travelers checks?

I am also wondering the same thing about the water taxi that everyone talks about, as well as the shops. Do they take credit cards?

The dollar is accepted all over the island. I have never seen anyone try to pay with a credit card or traveler's checks. The rates are low.

The stores all take credit cards, that way you buy more because we all know that plastic is not really money (until the bill shows up :D )

• 2 weeks later...

We anchor off Marigot on a Wed (11/21?) and would like to take in the market and Orient Beach on our own (not through the ship). Will it be relatively easy to walk to the market, and then catch a taxi over to Orient Beach for the rest of the day? The ship wants $58pp just to take us over to Orient Beach. Was hoping their is a more inexpensive way, and to get to the market first. Also, what are these water taxis everyone talks about? Where do they run to/from? Any advice appreciated; first time in St. Martin with only the day to spend. thx!

We anchor off Marigot on a Wed (11/21?) and would like to take in the market and Orient Beach on our own (not through the ship). Will it be relatively easy to walk to the market, and then catch a taxi over to Orient Beach for the rest of the day? The ship wants $58pp just to take us over to Orient Beach. Was hoping their is a more inexpensive way, and to get to the market first. Also, what are these water taxis everyone talks about? Where do they run to/from? Any advice appreciated; first time in St. Martin with only the day to spend. thx!

The water taxi is a small ferry service at Phillipsburg running between the cruise ship pier and downtown. It does not go anywhere near Marigot which is 15-20 miles away or so.

What ship are you on that docks at Marigot?

If you are docking at Phillipsburg, than a rt taxi ride to/from Orient Beach is $12pp. The ship's tour is a waste, when you price it out going on your own.

<snip> It does not go anywhere near Marigot which is 15-20 miles away or so.

<snip>

Philipsburg (the Court House) to Marigot Marina is about 4 miles as the crow flies, maybe 6 miles by road.

Windstar calls on Marigot.

gary

We are on SeaDream II and scheduled to anchor off Marigot on 11/21. If I can do the market in the am (and hopefully my purchases will be okay taking them to the beach?) and then grab a taxi from the market to Orient, that's my ideal plan. If it is $12-15 from P-burg, should be relatively same from Marigot, right?

Most info/tips on this board seemed to be based out of P-burg (including excursions) so I'm having a bit of a time finding someone with more Marigot tips, anyone??

--thx, Audrey

• 2 weeks later...

the price to go orient beach is $18 for2 people or $6 per person for 6 or more people.

Philipsburg (the Court House) to Marigot Marina is about 4 miles as the crow flies, maybe 6 miles by road......

gary

When you drive it in the usual slow bad traffic, it seems like forever to get there:D .

I didn't know that the smaller ships docked at Marigot, we have seen Seabourn ( I think) at Phillipsburg.

Archived