Star - Partial Obstructed View Cabin?????

Rdwhite1999

I am booked on the Star for the 11/21/04 sailing to the Mexican Riviera and I booked an ocean view cabin QTY, category H. I just found out my cabin number today - 8578 - and saw on the deck plan that this is a partially obstructed view cabin. It looks as if the life boats are on this deck. Can anyone advise how blocked our view will be in this cabin and what are our chances of getting this changed or should we try?

I looked at some of these cabins when we were on the Dawn recently. The obstruction varies from partial to total, depending on the position of the lifeboats in relation to the window. I think the deck plans are pretty much drawn to scale, so it looks like you may have a partial view if you look out to the left. Worst case, you will at least get some natural daylight. By the way, some of the obstructed view cabins, at least on the Dawn, have 2 tall narrow windows rather than one squarish one; sorry, I can't remember exactly which ones.

You case is an example of the cruise lines' interesting definition of an "upgrade." You are 2 categories above the H that you were guaranteed, but is an obstructed view window better than the portholes of the categoty H's? Probably not to everyone.

As for changing it, you can certainly ask your travel agent, or NCL if you booked directly with them, to see what else is available. I imagine you would pay more to pick a particular cabin over the guarantee. Only you can decide how much an unobstructed view is worth.

Whatver you decide, have a great cruise. I have had great cruises in cabins with obstructed views and in inside cabins. It's all about attitude - and your own budget.

We sailed on Star in Hawaii 2002, had partially obstructed cabins on deck 8. Our window was blocked about 50%, my sister's maybe 75%...you could still see down under the lifeboat and thru the windows of the lifeboat. We liked the extra light and a glimpse to the outside. Beware,,one am after taking a shower I saw some crew on the lifeboats doing maintance..keep the window curtains closed when in port!!! We loved the Star and thought the location on Deck 8 was wonderful, we especially liked going down a deck to the blue lagoon cafe for coffee in the AM and sitting out on the promenade deck.

Enjoy your cruise
Chris Mitchell

Archived