Carnival cruise with 2 young kids

lukesmom

My husband and I are planning our first family cruise. We have two kids, a 5 year old and one who will turn 2 while we are away.

I am wondering which ship would be the best for kids that age. I was thinking it should be a Carnvial cruise?

Thanks

I'd say either Carnival or NCL. Haven't been on Carnival but we just did NCL this year. Their ships are also very kid friendly (ie, pool slides, a kid size dining area in the buffet, etc.).

Both of these lines have kids programs that start at age 2. However, I believe they go with the age of your child at the time of embarkation. So, if your little one only turns 2 on the ship, I'm not sure they would allow him/her into the program.

On the other hand, when kids are that little though, they might not warm up to the program even if they qualify. My 2.5 year old loved NCL's program but my niece who is a couple of months older never warmed up to it.

I was just reading about NCL's program because I was considering them, and I think it said that if a child turns two during the cruise, they would consider accepting them, but it's up to the kids club. If possible, it would be worth waiting a week, but I know that often we can't choose which week we take vacation.

Carnival provides group babysitting for children under two after 10 pm and they will change diapers. Not sure about babysitting on NCL. RCCL offers (but won't guarantee) in-room babysitting.

If you're less concerned about babysitting, then you could consider Princess since they allow children under their minimum age (3) to use the kids program area as long as one parent is with them.

RCCL has a great toddler splash zone on one (or more) of their ships. If I were sailing out of the East Coast with a toddler, that's the one I'd choose. Michelle has some great pix posted here if you do a search.

Best,

Mia

Mia is right....if you can wait that one week to cruise, then you would guarantee a spot at Camp Carnival. We had to do that for my 3 year old's birthday on RCCL. Her bday was the 27th, we left the 29th.

For a list of all kids camps for the cruislines go here...

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/

You have to decide which is more important to you...the child being able to go to camp or the child being able to go in the pools.

Camp Carnival changes diapers. NCL will page you if your child needs a diaper change. Neither have water play areas for the kids (who aren't potty trained) so you will need to be an inflatable pool with you.

RCCL has "Auqua Tots" a program created by Fisher Price. But you would need to attend with them (45 min sessions/day) RCCL has in room babysitting for kids over 1.

The Freedom class ships on RCCL have "Baby Zone" which will allow kids in diapers. The ships of Freedom of the Seas/Liberty of the Seas/Independence of the Seas

FOScopy.jpg

Archived