Just back review P3 - Pacific Sun Butterfly Whispers

fishart

Okay, this installment is about the food onboard…

Boy, we walked onboard looking normal and left virtually rolling down the gangway… ha ha ha

You REALLY have to try and regiment yourself on your eating habits…as soon as you have breakfast, you have lunch, then there is afternoon tea, and then before you know it, it’s dinner… you feel you have never left your table…TRULY!!!

Food was hit and miss (taste wise) in the different eating areas – mostly pretty good…we really had no complaints…cause truly by the end of the cruise…we were SOOOOO full…and after the first couple of days, we were able to make better judgments on what we liked food wise…

I had read on this forum that kids meals were not very well catered for…we didn’t have an issue what-so-ever…our son, like most young kids isn’t fussed on vege’s, but he could eat pretty much off either the kids or adults menu, and he even did special requests such as grilled chicken with pasta etc and he never complained once !! Kids can have their own special chicken or beef burgers, they can have soups, regular meals, pasta dishes, chips, wedges, hotdogs etc etc…really, I don’t know how people could complain….we asked and we received what we asked for… If its just vege’s they want, then ask for it…the kitchen was surprisingly very helpful…

We dined at dinner in the Bordeaux room, had breakfast in Lido, lunch either in Lido or at the poolside BBQ on the same deck… Afternoon teas (sometimes) in Bordeaux…and we even did a night at the Steakhouse…The steak was fantastic and I had the blooming onion for the starter…very yummy…. For the 4 courses, $20 per adult and if the kids are happy to stick to a simple kids menu, they are $5 each… very reasonable for scrummy food…

Seating was an issue sometimes during lunch and breakfast during peak times, but the buffet is open for ages for each sitting so if you time your seating either very early or a bit later than usual, seating seemed to be easier to find…

If you choose sit down dining you will be served good tea and coffee…if you go to the buffet you get only Nescafe satchels etc or machine made coffee…a bit icky… Fruit juice (machine, not fresh) is offered at breakfast only…water is available from the large machines throughout the day in Lido…bottled water is available to purchase…

Look, again, some stuff is hit and miss food wise, but the selection is pretty big…fruits, cereals, salads, soups, cold meats, desserts and pastries, cooked buffets etc etc… It’s all trial and error and it’s all you can eat virtually every day…who can complain about that??? If you picked something you didn’t like, then leave it, go grab another plate and try something else!!!!

Dinners are 4 course, not massive servings, but you really do struggle at the end…

I think the only real disappointment we had was that we paid for oysters at one of our dinners as a special treat and the oysters were tiny….the next night our table guests took advantage of ordering some prawns and the prawns looked great…so again, its just one of those trial and error things…and again…the AMOUNT of food available is major…if you don’t leave the ship content as a pig in muck…then, I’m sorry YOU must be high maintenance…

One HAS to remember…this ship is catering for 2000 people each day, 4 meals a day at least!!! If service is slow one night but perfect the next, you have to give a little leeway and understanding to the situation…if its every night, then okay, maybe you have grounds to complain…but truly, especially at sit-down dinners, the service we received at our table of ten, was fantastic!!!

Drink wise…if you average $6 per alcoholic drink, that is a good basis…give or take a couple of dollars depending on the cocktail or grade of drink… I stuck to the good ‘ol Pina Coladas which were $6.50 each…

So, what to take onboard from all this???..well..remember this is one dirty great big floating restaurant having to deal with masses of servings all at once, not to mention having to cater for a culturally varied selection of guests onboard as well…

You will have hit and misses with your foods and service – so expect it and you will then not get so disappointed… and remember that this is a 2000 head restaurant, not 100 head...

Loving your review. We always loved the food and figured we were benig catered for and being served so we didnt complain about the food. We thought it was lovely and always a selection. I think the Sun had more of a selection than the Star did but that was about all. The kids menu for the dinner was fine and they love to be able to pick and chose their foods etc. I am glad we dont drink as I would hate to see some of the passengers drink bills..Thanks for your review.

Loving your review, but it is tricky to follow all the comments when it is spread over a few threads.

Can you copy and paste numbers 2 and 3 and put them in the part 1 thread? Then they are all together and they are easier to follow.

I am just being lazy. :o :) :) :)

Keep them coming, they are excellent.

Archived