Upgrading your cabin

kbob

Our friends upgraded at the pier on our Hawaii cruise last May. After you check in at the regular line, ask where the pier coordinator is located and head to that desk. Let them know you are interested in upgrading. If something is available, they will let you know how much the upgrade will be and you can decide if it's worth it to you.

FYI, if they say there aren't any cabins available, after boarding the ship, go to the purser's desk and ask to be put on an upgrade list. We were unable to upgrade at the pier as we were already in a suite, even though it was only a JR. suite. We went to the purser's desk and asked to be put on an upgrade list. On the second day of the cruise, they slipped an envelope under our door and offered us another cabin. By then however, we were unpacked and happy with our aft cabin, so decided to pass on the upgrade.

We upgraded at the terminal last year. As soon as we checked in, we saw the "Pier Coordinator" or something like that and they showed us a list of all the available cabins, how much they cost and even let us go on board to check them out before we chose. The cost to upgrade was about half of what our TA had quoted the week before. We went form a regular balcony cabin to an Owner's Suite for $200 each ($400 for the cabin). I get the impression that the cost to upgrade depends on how full (or not) the ship is. We leave on the Mariner in 2 & 1/2 weeks and we will definitely try to upgrade again. We also arrived at the terminal a little early and were among the first to check in thus, more upgrades were available to choose from. I'd ask the terminal agent whom to see for upgrades as soon as you check in. Good luck.

-Te

Great info...thanks.

In looking at the RCCL website and talking with our TA, there are no Jr. Suites or family suites available. Does anyone out there know if TA's buy them up and then release them? Or, I have heard from a reliable source that sometimes the entertainers stay in the suites(?)

A very reliable source informed me that the week we are cruising (2/6/05) is "Mardi Gras"...didn't know sailing out of Miami we would be celebrating this...maybe this explains why we can't get into one of those suites.

We upgraded at the pier last May. The prices have been listed for 7 day cruises several times on this board. They are set amounts.

After final payment you could see some suites open up as people are forced to either pay up or drop out of the picture. However, as the cruise gets closer, you can also find that those suites might be sold. The suites do have a tendency to sell out on a lot of the sailing dates. So do not count on that upgrade. I checked on our cruise the day before we left and there were 5 OS available. They give priority boarding to wedding parties. By the time we got to Pier coordinator - there was one OS available. So - you have to get to the pier early if you want a shot at one of the upper bunks.

You check in for the cruise and then go to the Pier Coordinator. Sometimes they will just post a sign stating that no upgrades are available.

Good Luck!

I found a thread where people have listed prices to upgrade your cabin a the pier:

Inside to RS(Royal Suite) $1500.00

Inside to Suite $1000.00

Inside to Balcony $600.00

Inside to outside $300.00

Inside to inside $100.00

Outside to RS $1200.00

Outside to suite $700.00

Outside to balcony $300.00

Outside to outside $100.00

Balcony to RS $1000.00

Balcony to suite $400.00

Balcony to balcony $100.00

Suite to RS $800.00

Suite to suite $400.00

These prices are not per person but per cabin.

here is the link to the thread with the prices:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=68240&highlight=pier+upgrades

Jammin:

Thanks for the link to the upgrade prices...very interesting!

Do you happen to know if the prices are from RCCL and is the upgrade policy and pricing standard the same at every pier (we are sailing out of Miami)?

Also, I believe that RCCL has a waiting list for upgrades to rooms. When an upgrade is available, RCCL contacts your TA--anyone out there have experience with the waiting list thru RCCL? And if you do, is the pricing the same as at the pier?

Thanks!

Archived