Train into Rome?

I havent got a link but the train into Rome is so easy. Get the free bus from the ship to the port gates, 10 minute walk to the train station along a flat road. Buy your ticket at station, booking clerks speak perfect English and are very helpful, ticket cost E9 return, includes bus and tube for that day. The trains run every 1/2 hour from the port and are very comfortable double decked vehicles. We alighted at St Pietro and had a 10 minute walk to the Vatican. Saw the Pope out in the square as it was Wednesday and then had a wander round before catching the train back. The journey takes 50 minutes by train. If you dont fancy the walk back to the dock gates, there are plenty of taxis at the station as you exit to take you back to the ship.

Have a great time, Jimmy

Can someone send me a link because I'm sure it's on here somewhere of detailed instructions on how to take a train into Rome from the Port in Civatecchia (sp?) Thanks

You don't say if you are just stopping in Rome for a day or if you are getting off a cruise. Anyway, here are a couple of links about taking the train to the port from Rome. Simply reverse everything.

http://www.ftroute.com/cruises/civita_sat.htm Satellite photo plus written instruction for getting from Civitavecchia station to the port.

http://www.ftroute.com/cruises/italian_trains.htm Taking trains in Italy with emphasis on Rome to Civitavecchia.

Other questions, follow the 'contact' link on the above site and send me an e-mail.

The trains go on strike at a moments notice. We took it to Rome from the port a few years back and found the trains had gone on strike when we tried to get back. Luckily we had an overnight in Civitavecchia because by the time we found someone who would drive us back, we did not arrive at the ship until about 10 pm.

Otherwise the train was fun and a great way to get to Rome!!

I have a question for those of you who have taken the train from Rome to the port. How do you nagivate and keep from ruining the wheels of your luggage if you have to climb down and up 40 steps?

You don't use the wheels on the stairs. Between the station and the port entrance you can walk the smooth pavement behind the parked cars and keep away from the cobblestone walks. Parking is on kind of a side (parallel) street so there really isn't that much traffic to worry about.

The cobblestone sidewalks in Rome did the number on the wheels on two of our suitcases. Bought one of those metal jobs with bigger wheels from a vendor near Termini. Darn thing fell apart before I left the station in Civitavecchia. True waste of euros!

When coming back FROM Rome to Civitavecchia on the local train I understand there are 7 stops. Does anyone know the name of the stop just before Civitavecchia? Thanks! :)

From Trenitalia:

Stazione d'arrivo Ora d'arrivo Ora di partenza

Roma Termini --:-- 11:38

Roma Tuscolana 11:43 11:44

Roma Ostiense 11:48 11:49

Roma Trastevere 11:52 11:53

Roma S. Pietro 11:57 11:58

Roma Aurelia 12:02 12:03

Maccarese-Fregene 12:11 12:11

Torre In Pietra-Palidoro 12:17 12:17

Ladispoli-Cerveteri 12:24 12:25

Marina Di Cerveteri 12:28 12:29

Santa Severa 12:34 12:34

S. Marinella 12:41 12:42

Civitavecchia 12:56--:--

This is a regional train (travel today)

Termini to Civit... and Civit to FCO and Metro/Bus: What is the price for children - 16, 14, 13, and 1 traveling with Mom and Dad? The swiss have great deals for families on their public transport but I didn't see anything on trenitalia's site for families. Maybe I missed it...

Also, is a car seat required/possible/suggested on public transport? Thanks for any insights.

One good thing I noticed about taking the train from this port to Rome--many others on our cruise were doing the same thing.

We all kind of helped each other along to get to the train station. It's very simple, and not a very short walk at all.

The Port offers a FREE shuttle from where the ship is docked to the end of the port. DON'T pay to have the ship's shuttle!!

Once dropped off at the port entrance--it's a 10 minute walk. Cross the street from the entrance to the port...and bear to your right...keep walking until you get to the train station. :D

I'm sure there will be others doing the same...

For those travelling by train, it's as important validating your ticket in the yellow machine, as it is buying it!

LOL You are certainly right about that! I live in Rome and can attest that if you don't validate (stamp) your ticket it's as if you didn't even buy it. That was a great idea to point that out!

We toured on our own when the ship stopped in Civitavecchia, to Rome in the AM and back to the port in the afternoon. Some caveats.

Frequently, scheduled trains, as shown in the handout from RCI, don't show up. So allow extra time.

We got to the train station before 9:30 AM. The 9:45 and 10:10 never showed. We wound up taking the Euroliner into Rome, very fast and only one stop, but it was crowded so we kept walking until we found a car not crowded, which turned out to be first class, so we paid a double surcharge (explains the emptiness.) This took less than 45 minutes.

Coming back, we took the Metro from the Forum/Colleseo stop to Termini, aiming for the 3:40 train back to the port. By the time we got up to the main platform, it was 3:30 and the track as listed was track 28, which is a remote track, far from tracks 1-24 (main cross platform) The 3:50 and 4:10 never showed and DW was getting panicky. Then on the arrivals board, a train from Civitavecchia was shown coming in at 4:25, no track. 5 minutes later on the outbound board a 4:40 to Civitavecchia popped up, no track. At 4:23 the inbound spun to show good old track 28, so we started the 10 minute hike up the stairs at the right end of the cross platform (facing the trains) and all the way out. These 4 extra platforms start further away then the length of the longest trains at tracks 1-24 so allow extra time if you don't walk fast (like me).

This was a local, double decker, with plenty of people standing. It pulled out at 4:43 and pulled into Civitavecchia at 5:13 PM. travel time 90 minutes. Lucky we left a large vigorish factor, as there were no cabs at the station and a younger fellow ran into the street to get a cab, who charged E10 per person back to the ship. We got dropped off at 6:27 PM. Scheduled gangway pulling, 6:30. One of the tour busses broke down so the ship didn't leave until after 7:20 PM. 3 couples showed up on the next local at 7:05. They would have been left behind, but for the bus breakdown.

A word to the wise. Allow lots of extra time for this train trip if self touring. And the Eurorail express is worth the money, but it doesn't run in the afternoon.

Archived