Baggage check to FLL

bail8297

We cruised on the Caribbean Princess (Oct 7 - 14) Had a wonderful time.

It was our first time on Princess and was very impressed with it.

Upon leaving the cruise terminal I spotted a sign for Southwest Airlines baggage and flight check in. We were with another couple, sharing a cab to the airport, and thought this would be much easier than lugging all our bags ourselves.

We checked our bags and saw them loaded onto a waiting truck, went to the podium to check in for flight, and were then told that there was a $20 per family charge. We didn't want to retrieve bags and un check in for our flights ( we were afraid our reservations would get lost in cyber space) so we paid the $20 fee.

My objection is not that they charged for this service, but that we were mislead right up until the time we were given our boarding passes that this was a Southwest service, and we did not expect to be charged for it.

The service was fine, no problem with any or our bags, but let us know up front that we we will be charged a separate fee for this.

I was wondering if any one else had the same feeling we did.

Sorry the fee wasn't explained to you before you turned over your bags. I had seen this on the SW site so I was familiar with the fee. I am glad to know that the bags made it to your destination with no problems as this might be a service I want to use in the future.

Does American Airlines offer this service as well? If so I'll use it

in April.

That's how it used to be when I cruised years ago. The airlines had

little portable desks set up once we disembarked the ship in Puerto Rico,

and they had all these vans that they put our luggage into and then

hauled to the airport. That way we could take a tour

of Puerto Rico unencumbered.

We cruised on the Caribbean Princess (Oct 7 - 14) Had a wonderful time.

It was our first time on Princess and was very impressed with it.

Upon leaving the cruise terminal I spotted a sign for Southwest Airlines baggage and flight check in. We were with another couple, sharing a cab to the airport, and thought this would be much easier than lugging all our bags ourselves.

We checked our bags and saw them loaded onto a waiting truck, went to the podium to check in for flight, and were then told that there was a $20 per family charge. We didn't want to retrieve bags and un check in for our flights ( we were afraid our reservations would get lost in cyber space) so we paid the $20 fee.

My objection is not that they charged for this service, but that we were mislead right up until the time we were given our boarding passes that this was a Southwest service, and we did not expect to be charged for it.

The service was fine, no problem with any or our bags, but let us know up front that we we will be charged a separate fee for this.

I was wondering if any one else had the same feeling we did.

First, if I noticed this special service, and it's obvious it's a special service, I would have expected a service charge. When you asked, did they tell you that there wasn't and then changed their tune? I'd complain directly to SW Corporate and explain what happened. If they renegged on what they said when you asked, then they should refund your money.

There have been numerous articles and posts about this SouthWest Airlines service. It's a very nice, convenient service.

Our issue was not with the service, our objection was that the service was represented as being provided by Southwest, no mention at all of there being an extra fee, until we had spent 20 minutes on line and had been checked in for our flights.

All we wanted was for there to be some mention of the fee before we had invested the time! There were several signs, all with the Southwest logo prominently displayed, announcing the service. Just include the fact that you will be charged an additional fee !

I have already sent a letter to Southwest voicing my objection.

Just returned Sunday and saw the same truck parked outside with the Southwest Logo. No pricing was posted. Knowing that Southwest is a low cost carrier, I figured it was too good to be true. Just to be sure, I did not wait and just asked the man at the podium if there was a fee and he said yes.......so I left and took the cab. The cab fare, driver tip and airport curb checkin and porter at the airport was cheaper than just the luggage service at the pier and I never had to lift my luggage! For what you get, the service is really a ripoff. The ONLY advantage I could come up with is if you had a late flight in the day, you could ditch the luggage at the pier and take a taxi or tour somewhere else until it was time for your flight.

Archived