Sea water or salt water chlorinator

shipty2

I am trying to get a definitive answer on the water in the pools on Carnival ships. I have read both that it is just plain sea water and that the water goes through a salt water chlorinator. You can't tell the difference by tasting it as both taste salty.

Anyone have any real facts about it?

I remember on Valor, there is a punp room between the lobby and pool area on the Lido deck - we walked past it all the time, and it always smelled of chlorine. Not sure if that was just for the hot tub, though.

It makes sense that instead of constantly disinfecting the water, they could simply replenish it from the sea. That would be less expensive in chemicals.

The hot tubs, however, are fresh water so they have to keep them chlorinated.

Never been on the ship yet, but have a saltwater pool in my back yard...

There is a cathode/anode device that when electrically charged, and having salt water passed through it, the electrical grid separates the sodium from the chloride, creating chlorine gas, for sanitization of the water.

As the water finishes passing through the grid, the sodium and chloride gas rebond, returning to their original state of plain old salt (sodium chloride).

This is independent of any filtration, but usually the water is filtered before it is passed (that just doesn't sound *right*) through the chlorine generator.

Personal opinion is that these ships would invest in a chlorine generator as described above, rather than constantly pumping chlorine chemicals into the pools...

Bromine is used (or SHOULD be used) for the spas....

Archived