Pet Peeves

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I don't always use the sink to wash my hands. I ALWAYS have the alcohol waterless gel and use that...maybe some of these people were discreetly using that instead? The gel does give better protection for germs.

My daughter is a school teacher and always used the waterless gel. She was getting a lot of colds (the kids) and her Doctor told her the waterless gel is very limited. It should only be used when soap and water are not available. He said you should not use it more than 2x in a row before washing your hands with soap and water. My daughter teaches by washing hands. "Today, when you wash hands recite the ABC's, count to 50, etc. But the doctor told her "you won't see surgeons using that waterless gel" I don't know how right the doctor was but my daughter went back to soap and water and didn't get as many colds.

Chair hogs-actually had a woman almost deck me becasue I asked if the 2 yr old in a stroller was actually using the deck chair. oh well :rolleyes:

Dancing waiters- I hate that part. It isnt funny and really, those people work hard enough without having to dance and sing.:cool:

Kids running amuck- I love kids, have a few of my own who have cruised a few times. I love them but realize no one else does so thier antics arnt funny to others. Keep your kids with you. I dont want to babysit them becasue I like to read by the pool and watch my daughter play :mad:

Is anyone going on this cruise? I would love to see all cruises as theme cruises. I went on one that was a Jazz cruise and it was my favorite one. I got to meet some real famous old musicians. I would love to try a phychic cruise too sometime.

I have cruise many lines and many times and will keep cruising.

My pet peeve is the piano bars that put you to sleep with their old music.

People treating staff/crew like slaves.

You always see the odd person treating bar staff poorly, demanding this and that, no manners. We also saw a new type on our last cruise, people at the pizzeria who found it amusing to press the bell about 20 times in 5 seconds whilst shouting "I want pizza!"

That reminds me of the annoying customers that come into my job. I usually work alone, and there's times I'll be in the friggin bathroom for 1 minute or getting a drink of water and some moron will wander in shouting, "hello? Anybody here?" Little hint here-if the door is unlocked and we're open for business, I'm sure someone will be with you shortly you impatient turd!

Anyway good peeves about the attitude with the pop cards. And when they do give you a pop in a glass it's loaded with ice so you have to go back right away for another! Why doesn't Carvival just offer free soft drinks to all, or put vending machines with pop throughout? I think that would be a lot easier for all.

That reminds me of the annoying customers that come into my job. I usually work alone, and there's times I'll be in the friggin bathroom for 1 minute or getting a drink of water and some moron will wander in shouting, "hello? Anybody here?" Little hint here-if the door is unlocked and we're open for business, I'm sure someone will be with you shortly you impatient turd!

I don't know about everyone else, but when I walk into a convenience store or a store with no clerks, I worry about the clerks and if they are okay. I think maybe I should call 911 right now and maybe help them.....

Maybe you can put a sign on the register....brb or something so they don't worry.....I truly don't think most customers want to act like t*rds.....

My daughter is a school teacher and always used the waterless gel. She was getting a lot of colds (the kids) and her Doctor told her the waterless gel is very limited. It should only be used when soap and water are not available. He said you should not use it more than 2x in a row before washing your hands with soap and water. My daughter teaches by washing hands. "Today, when you wash hands recite the ABC's, count to 50, etc. But the doctor told her "you won't see surgeons using that waterless gel" I don't know how right the doctor was but my daughter went back to soap and water and didn't get as many colds.

It depends on the product. I'm an NICU nurse and yes, if you have VISIBLE soil on your hands soap & water is the only way to decontaminate. But there are plenty of studies out there that show that the alcohol based waterless gels & foams provide better protection in general. Also, they are more likely to be used and can be used quicker and in more settings. You have to use a generous amount and rub completely in - friction (Whether it be with a hand sanitizer or soap/water) is the main component in removing germs. In general, 5 uses of the gel or foam then you need to wash with soap & water.

Also, there IS a product now for use in ORs that is a CDC/OSHA approved waterless hand SCRUB that satisfies the 3-5 minute surgical scrub required by "sterile people" during surgical procedures. So yeah, some surgeons DO use a special waterless sanitizer. It's interesting to see the products that are coming out.

People who don't wash thier hands. You would not believe how many WOMEN I saw not wash thier hands while in the public bathrooms. EWWWWWWWW. Haven't they ever heard of norovirus? Over 300 people got sick on our last cruise.

I also hate how people insist on over packing the elevators. I got into a little altercation once with a lady that kept insisting we could continue squeezing back, when the elevator was clearly at capacity. Again, haven't they ever heard of norovirus?

I don't wash my hands in the public restrooms....I don't like to touch the faucets, etc. I use Germ-X once I get outside.

I don't wash my hands in the public restrooms....I don't like to touch the faucets, etc. I use Germ-X once I get outside.

A lot of the faucets are automatic. If they are not, I turn them on with toilet paper. Nothing, not even Germ-X replaces good old soap and hot water.

1. Children who are cursed with parents that do not know how to raise them to be pleasant and mannerly!

2. People who left there one pair of coveralls at home and behave like they are wealthy royalty on a cruise ship.

3. People who are rude and disrespectful to the crew! (See point 2.)

4. Children who play in the buffet food trays like they were sandboxes because their parents are too ignorant to teach them differently!!!

5. The anoying omnipresent announcement for cheap art, jewelry, spa treatments, etc....that we all know are NOT cheap...never were...never will be!!

That's pretty much it for us!:)

Hmmmmmm.....nothing can ruin my cruise but if I had to come up with a few things that I find mildly irritating...

People who turn their outside balcony light on and leave it on all night :eek:

It took us 3 days to find out we had a light switch for our balony.:o

I really don't understand those folks who paid less money for their entire cruise than the cost of 1 night in a 5 star hotel and one meal in a 5 star resturant yet expect 5 star service (without exception) for 7 days. Granted we have the right to expect good service but, some people drive me nuts complaining about every little thing.

I really don't understand those folks who paid less money for their entire cruise than the cost of 1 night in a 5 star hotel and one meal in a 5 star resturant yet expect 5 star service (without exception) for 7 days. Granted we have the right to expect good service but, some people drive me nuts complaining about every little thing.

Then maybe you shouldn't read the Pet Peeves thread. :p Just kiddin'.

The reason many people expect 5 star service is because that's what the cruise lines make you think you'll receive. Have you seen their brochures? Yes, cruising is wonderful, but in my experience it's not as classy, uncrowded, 5 star, or delicious as they make people believe. :)

People who walk around slowly like they're in a stupor, who can't decide where to go next. Move outta my way!

Not chair hogs, but the 20 something girls in bikinis laying on their stomachs with their tops undone, then I grab the chair right next to them and they start giving me dirty looks...:eek: What, am I not supposed to look at you or something?:cool:

Kids, any kids at all, on a cruise. There should be adults only cruises.;)

The waiters who bug the heck out of me on Lido deck during embarkation hawking the "drink of the day". Then where are you on day 4 when I'm hot and need a beer??

Finally, the pretty dealers at the blackjack table that cheerfully take all my chips! Then they say, "It's not me, it's the machine!" I say, "But I can't yell at a machine!"

On my last cruise on NCL, they had hand sanitizing stations everywhere you went and they would ask you to sanitize before you went into the dining areas.

We had a bad outbreak of Norovirus and I was using hand sanitizer many times daily. By the end of our 7 day cruise, my hands were chapped, cracked and raw and didn't recover for a week. That stuff is really drying!

People who walk around slowly like they're in a stupor, who can't decide where to go next. Move outta my way!

Not chair hogs, but the 20 something girls in bikinis laying on their stomachs with their tops undone, then I grab the chair right next to them and they start giving me dirty looks...:eek: What, am I not supposed to look at you or something?:cool:

Kids, any kids at all, on a cruise. There should be adults only cruises.;)

The waiters who bug the heck out of me on Lido deck during embarkation hawking the "drink of the day". Then where are you on day 4 when I'm hot and need a beer??

Finally, the pretty dealers at the blackjack table that cheerfully take all my chips! Then they say, "It's not me, it's the machine!" I say, "But I can't yell at a machine!"

Ya that's me in the stupor.

Cuz I hate it when you get back to the ship and all the wheel chairs are used up. I demand that chair to take my stinking drunkin butt back up to my cabin. Isn't is a part of the VIP service?

Oh I'm just kidding.

My concern is when I shop in the jewlery store on ship, I have found many diamonds with large flaws. I always ask for a loupe and when they say they don't have one just walk away!

Itty

:cool: You will have to tell me all about your cruise on the Pride in Feburary as I'll be on it in April. Have you been asigned a room yet? Have you asked for a free upgrade yet? I always ask and get one. This time we booked directly with a Carnival agent by phone and I plan to ask for a my free upgrade. We have a partialy obstructed view on our balcony so I'm hoping that will be upgraded to non obstructed. I also want to get a room higher than the 5th deck that they said we will be on. I enjoy being high on the Leido deck if possible. :D If you don't ask you won't get a free upgrade, so my tip for the day is to ask your agent.

Chair hogs-actually had a woman almost deck me becasue I asked if the 2 yr old in a stroller was actually using the deck chair. oh well :rolleyes:

Dancing waiters- I hate that part. It isnt funny and really, those people work hard enough without having to dance and sing.:cool:

Kids running amuck- I love kids, have a few of my own who have cruised a few times. I love them but realize no one else does so thier antics arnt funny to others. Keep your kids with you. I dont want to babysit them becasue I like to read by the pool and watch my daughter play :mad:

My main peeves involved the elderly who feel they are at the stage in life where lines do not apply to them.They belong in the front of the line and they can move at a snales pace if they wish. I don't care if the lines are for the elevators, the buffets, desserts, coffee, lines to see a show,embarkation or deparkation. Let me in front . My time has arrived.

We were on a cruise with a bunch of Red Hat Ladies two years ago. Yeah. They pretty much took over everything.

Badly behaved kids. I'd actually LOVE an adult only cruise. LOVE IT.

And the crazy rush at food time. It's not like there won't be enough, people!

And on a ship or not...LET PEOPLE OFF the elevator before you get on!

That said....sigh...I'm LONG overdue for a cruise!

• 9 months later...

For us, we have 2 MAIN pet peeves:

1. The excessive number of photographers during formal night. You can't walk anywhere without stopping to allow someone else's photo to be taken. Maybe the staff could rope off a walkway for people who don't want pics taken?

2. KIDS!!!!!! Of course not all, but the few insane ones with no parental supervision. For example, on our last cruise on the Celebration, there were 2 kids who thought it was a fun game to run on the chairs around the pool, as people were laying on them! I swear I saw some guy trip one of them, and it all stopped.

On a side note, the $75,000 "bigwhigs" are a riot. Watching them throughout a cruise becomes fun as they alienate themselves from everybody. Similarily, the 20 something "hotties" who believe they're too attractive for anybody. My wife noticed 2 girls who spent the entire cruise lounging, standing off to the side, and NEVER talking/dancing, or even smiling. Just a shame.

Inspiration August 2007

Celebration March 2008

Parents who conveniently forget that they brought their 3 children (who were raised by wolves) on board. Actually that is an insult to wolves...wolves would have done a much better job!!

Parents with children, who say their little darlings shouldnt have to pay full tips because they dont make as much of a mess as adults (as the child sits there at the buffet table taking apart the flower centerpiece, piece by piece and Im biting my lip as mom says nothing to the child). i.e. parents who think because they had extra children the children shouldnt pay as much as the rest of us and complain.

Im taking a gal with me who Iv cruised with but didnt eat dinner with who told me that she plans to order 3 entrees and eat a few bites of each one. When I said Id be embarrassed, she accused me of belonging to the clean plate club. I said Id take her on two cruises, the first of which is coming up in 2 weeks. Might be no more, we will see.

The only thing that really affected our cruise, was the person that jumped off, on the last night of our cruise. Up to that point, our cruise was "perfect". I still think about that poor soul, and wonder if he was ever found :(

Archived