? for beachchick

rein53

We (10 of us) are on the 11 day Aloha cruise. We would like to do the OLL luau, but are in Lahaina only until 6. Would we be able to do it on the 1st day in Kahului? If so, we need transportation. We don't want to drive. Any ideas? If we can't do OLL, do you have any suggestions? We will be staying in Honalulu 2 extra days after the cruise. Any ideas, besides PCC?

We want alcoholic beverages.

You are a great help on these boards.

Lynn

Aloha. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to go to OLL on your overnight at Kahului. Transportation will be an issue because you don't want to drive and you've got a sizable group. First thing to do is an advanced search on this forum for "maui luau transportation." Here's one old thread I found with info (which may or may not be valid more than a year later) for a shuttle service:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=415588&highlight=maui+luau+transportation

There may be other shuttles available now based on the requests of cruise pax. The shuttle price in the linked thread ($41 one-way for two people, which ends up being $41 per person round trip) isn't exactly cheap for ten. You'd be looking at more than $400 for your group--Yikes! You might want to check in with Robert's Hawaii and see if they've got any transportation-only options around Maui. The bus won't work for you because the last bus leaves from Lahaina too early. I don't know if any taxi companies have 10 person vans/buses, but you might want to do a web search and see what you can find. In general, taxi(s) will be extremely expensive. A regular car taxi runs well over $100 (closer to $150 these days) r/t Kahului-Lahaina. You'd need at least two and probably three car taxis. I've heard that there are some special taxis at the pier during the day which offer r/t transportation to the west side for $25 p/p, but they don't run at night (or that is, they didn't before).

Are you positive that you wouldn't consider renting a 10 pax van from one of the rental car companies? It would be substantially cheaper than other forms of transportation. It's a long drive, so no commercial transportation is going to be cheap. Of course that would mean that someone would have to be a DD, which is probably one thing you're trying to avoid.

Another option would be to look into the newer luau that one of the hotels in Kahului is offering. (Sorry, don't know which one; a search here might help.) There's a luau at the Maui Tropical Plantation (much closer than Lahaina), but I don't know anything about it.

There have been many good reviews about the newer cruise line option on Kauai, but again, I know nothing about it.

On Oahu, you might consider Germaine's or Paradise Cove (I think that's right) because both seem to get good reviews overall and, I think, they offer shuttle service to and from the luau. The Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki has a luau a few nights a week. It looks nice, but all I know about it is walking by while strolling the beach at night.

As you may have surmised, my DH and I don't attend these types of commercial luaus. I can only give you information second-hand and based on the experience of others. If we were going to choose a luau, it would probably be OLL or Feast at Lele (also Lahaina and a more formal, sit-down, set meal event; not appropriate for small children).

I hope I've at least given you some ideas of where to search for options. Sorry not to have more info for you.

beachchick

Thanks beachchick. Maybe it would be better try a luau on the 2 days we are in Honalulu.

Lynn

That's what we're doing you have to eat out those night anyway:rolleyes:

We are doing the Germaines but I have read good things about Paradise Cove too.

I choose Germaines for a few reasons I like the fact that everyone is treated the same at Germaines, plus we liked the menu better. :D

Find the websites they are full of info.:cool:

Hope this helps.

If it matters, I just read a member review that mentioned that Paradise Cove Luau does not have an open bar. I don't know if that means you have to buy all your drinks or if you get a specific number of drink "tickets" or what, but I thought I'd pass that along.

beachchick

• Administrators
If it matters, I just read a member review that mentioned that Paradise Cove Luau does not have an open bar. I don't know if that means you have to buy all your drinks or if you get a specific number of drink "tickets" or what, but I thought I'd pass that along.

beachchick

Paradise Cove has levels of tickets and prices; the highest level includes upgraded leis, a photograph of your party, a souvenir, table service (instead of buffet), seating right beside the stage, and six drink tickets per person (yes... SIX! We didn't use them all). The other levels also include different numbers of drink tickets -- think it's 2-4. You can get 25% off whatever level of luau ticket you purchase by using a coupon in the Hawaii Entertainment Book (if you have an Entertainment book from anywhere, you can download the Hawaii coupons at www.entertainment.com).

Archived