Customer Service - "Canadian Pricing"

DinsdalePiranha

My problem isn't major...but it's annoying me. I wonder if anyone can offer any advice on how to solve the problem...

My upcoming cruise was booked through a cruise travel agency in Canada. They had purchased a group booking and had made the original arrangements in Canadian Funds. Apparently this was done when the exchange rate was 30% (or something like that) in favour of the $US. As we were quoted the price in Canadian funds, we didn't make a fuss about paying the balance as originally agreed (even though the $US and $CDN are now virtually worth the same).

My problem comes now that I try to purchase the $79 Honeymoon Package. Because my original booking was done in Canadian funds, they are wanting to charge me $92 Canadian (because they are using an unreasonable exchange rate). At today's bank rate, the price would be $76 CDN. NCL won't take my payment in US funds.

I've spoken to NCL reservations; my travel agent has spoken to the Group Sales department at NCL and the Group Event Planner for our ship. We've all been told that they can't fix the problem.

Does anyone know who I should speak to at NCL who has the authority to fix this (admitedly minor) issue?

And don't anyone worry, I'm not about to let something this small ruin my vacation...I just will be happier if I can get someone to see it my way and fix this $16 silliness.

That's bizarre. NCL's prices for everything should be determined in ONE currency, then at any time when you make a payment, you should be charged THAT day's exchange rate... just like every other business in the world!!! ha ha ha It's just... well... bizarre!! Even your original quote should have been a US price converted to Canadian dollars... and then if you hadn't made your final payment yet, it should have gone down (without changing in the original currency). I booked our latest cruise through travelocity (better prices than latitudes!) and while I was given a Canadian breakdown, the pricing was in US. I'm actually out a bit myself over the exchange rate, but the prices are higher now, so I'm still ahead.

Try having someone else buy the package for you as a 'gift'... if they call today they should get today's rates... shouldn't they? :confused:

I found the same type of issue with my TA a couple of years age. Book it direct with NCL and put it on your credit card. It will show a maybe 1-1-1/2% over the current exchange rate. It worked for me when I surprised my wife with a spa certificate.

I've tried both the gift approach and the direct to NCL approach. Have been told by all the NCL reps that anything paid for before boarding the ship will be charged in Canadian at their crazy exchange rate. Things like shore excursions and anything I buy onboard will be charged in US. It's nuts.

I may be mistaken, but I was told NCL adjusts their exchange rate twice a year, January and July, and go with that current rate for the 6 month term. So if you booked a cruise after July and are paying off the balance, converted from US to CDN dollars, you are still paying 5-7% more than you should today. We booked in September and now that the CDN dollar is above the US, it in fact is costing us about 10%+ more for our final deposit next month than it should. And you wonder why we ask for additional bonus' like CAT upgrades and on-board credits when NCL offers them on new bookings. Maybe Im paying for these perks others are getting!

Similar problem UK prices are outragous now the $ is 2 4 1.

$79 us £59 uk

The package is good value at $79 if you are likely to spend the features anyway.

Bistro with $22($25tip) wine credit ($52)

bubbly + Choch straw embark ($25 min)

Party and photo

Do you know an American who can book and pay for it as a bon voyage gift for you and then you can pay them?

I tried that option too...they said that *anything* purchased in association with this cruise that is paid for before boarding must be paid in Canadian funds.

I'm trying to figure out who to complain to. This is a very small thing I'm asking for - there must be someone who is empowered to make a reasonable change.

It's $16 multiplied by say 1000 Canadian cruisers a week. Canadians, not just on your ship, but on virtually every NCL ship sailing!!!

Between the refusal of NCL, and the other cruise lines, to do business like every other international corporation when it comes to exchange rates, and the numbers of Canadians cruising NCL is making $100's of thousands a year just by monkeying with the exchange rates!

Hell...Princess not only plays with the exchange rates in their favour, they charge Canadians an additional 3% for letting them do it!!

What we will see next are exclusive CDN$ booking sites. We will pay in CDN$...but when we look at the US$ site the price will be the same...that means, as of today, we would be paying 3% more for the same cruise as the American cruisers!

NCL and the others are determined to get it either way!

It will be very interesting to see what happens to cruise fares as the US economy slides into recession over the next 10 to12 months and fewer of our American neighbours can afford cruise holidays. The CDN$ has not finished rising against the US$ and the US economy is a long way from stopping its slide!!!

So don't be thinking it's just your $16 we're talking about here.

This must only be true if you are booking through a Canadian TA. We booked directly with NCL in August via their website and were charged in US dollars which were converted by our credit company to the Canadian equivalent.:confused:

THis is what we have started doing book through the US the rates are cheaper for the cruise as well as the addons.

One exception is the Soda card uk £3pd($6) US $8.63pd

Archived