Cenote snorkeling in Yucatan?

williamfltx3

Has anyone done snorkeling or diving in a cenote in the Yucatan? My sister went several years ago on a land based vacation and spent hours swimming & snorkeling in a cenote in a national park near Playa de Carmen. She said she had such a blast in the cold crystal clear fresh water. I am going there in December and would love to try this. I am an advanced diver and would also love to dive there as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:rolleyes:

William

We snorkeled the Dos Ojos Cenote in Akumal; about 45 minutes south of Cancun. What an awesome experience! According to our guide (who works the dive shop at the Akumal Beach Resort), this is one of the more highly rated cenotes for divers (who were present in numbers the day we were there).

I dove the Chikin Ha cenote and it was an awesome experience. It is not something I would need to do again, but it is, in my opinion, a top 10 dive. To submerge and penetrate the tunnels and caves of the cenote, with no available air above you, and to come up in a totally different cavern is a once in a lifetime experience. However, I really don't think snorkling would be worthwhile as there is not much to look at.

Hope this helps

Thanks you so much for the information on the cenotes. How was the aquatic life?

William

None to speak of on my dives, that's why I would think it quite boring for a snorkler. There are some wonderful rock formations to look at and swim by (stalagmites and stalagtites sp?), but not much else.

Thanks for the info about cenote diving/snorkeling. I found a private tour offering a lagoon cenote with lots of fish and a cavern cenote dive with beautiful rock formations all for 70 bucks. I will post my experience when I return. Thanks again for all the free info and help.

William

PS Please feel free to add your experiences or comments as well.:)

Thanks for the info about cenote diving/snorkeling. I found a private tour offering a lagoon cenote with lots of fish and a cavern cenote dive with beautiful rock formations all for 70 bucks. I will post my experience when I return. Thanks again for all the free info and help.

William

PS Please feel free to add your experiences or comments as well.:)

Where?

I will be in Progresso in Jan and looking for cenote diving.

Archived