caymans: transportation to Grand Old House from Port

gbwells

Did anyone else get to Grand Old House on their own, say by taxi? Just got my quote for the ceremony from them. They want $126 to get 9 people from the port to the house, $14/each. The email I got said they're 5 minutes from Georgetown, so that feels pretty steep to me. It's not like we need a limo or anything. Has anyone taken a taxi?

We are doing GOH after you, so can't help with specifics, sorry.

My comment would be however; you would be paying a premium by asking GOH to organise taxis since you are giving them a task to do, for which they will surely, as a business, be charging.

Depends if you think its worth it for peace of mind & easiest option, having everything taken care of by them ......or if there are bits that you decide you are willing to organise yourselves, then this is definitely one area you can cut costs for sure.

I believe taxis are readily available in port when cruise ships come in, so I would be inclined to do this yourself - unless money is no object.:)

We are hiring a horse & carriage to take us 4 there & back ($650 :eek: !!...but hey, we are saving lots of $$$ by not marrying at home, so we went for it !)..so sorry can't help with exactly how much 2 taxis are likely to cost, but you could ask the question on the Cayman Activity Guide website - there are lots of helpful locals who will know on there.

My daughter is getting married there in Feb. They quoted her the same price only they told her to go diretly to smith's cove where the wedding is to take place. Would be interested to hear what you decide. we have tried to find out how far the port is fron the GOH but no luck yet. Good luck to you.

• 4 weeks later...
I have contracted with tropicana tours in Georgetown, Grand Cayman to pick up my party of 25 people at the dock and drive us to the GOH. They are charging $7.50 pp, round trip. Yep, that is correct! About half what GOH charges if they plan it for you.

http://tropicana-tours.com/

Thanks for the tip about Tropicana Tours...I had been thinking that me & my H2B should not be arriving together at GOH ....so these guys might just be what I'm looking for.....:)

Archived