To Liverpool or not to Liverpool?

rdcollis

I've always been a big Beatles Fan.

In May 2008, we'll be doing a 5 day pre-cruise stay in London.

Question:

Is it worth trying to go to Liverpool and taking a Beatles tour? And if so, does anyone have any recommendations on Travel & Tours?

Question:

Is it worth trying to go to Liverpool and taking a Beatles tour? And if so, does anyone have any recommendations on Travel & Tours?

If you only have a short time in London, I would keep within the London area, as there are so many delightful places, much closer than Liverpool. Liverpool is about 200 miles from London and therefore, you'd spend about 1 day travelling between the two cities.

If you REALLY want to visit Liverpool it is feasible by train. For instance:

London Euston Station depart 09:17 arriving 11:47

Return Liverpool depart 18:15 arriving 20:47

Cost GBP52.00 per person

or

Depart London as above

Return Liverpool depart 19:49 arriving 22:54

Cost GBP38.50 per person.

Note this example is for a Thursday booked 6 weeks ahead. Tickets can only be booked a maximum of 3 months before travel and you need a BS on the British rail booking system to ensure you have the lowest fare.

Hope that helps decide if you want to travel there.

Beatles tours and memorabilia can be viewed through www.visitliverpool.com

Unfortuatley at the moment you have to have a UK address to book train tickets in advance and get the good rates, however that is due to change next year so hope it does before OP arrives here.

Think also next year Liverpool will be European Culture city so could be plenty going on there.

THANKS! everyone for your suggestions. 1/2 of me wants to just bag the idea, and the other 1/2 says go for it. (have no clue if I'll ever visit the UK again, u know)

I did "just" find a London Tour operator, that claims they will do a 14 hour R/T to Liverpool WITH Beatle Tour. Price is not that bad - $180 USD. Includes highspeed train, the ad says.

I will give it some serious thought. I love these boards, Thanks again for any suggestions.

If you have 5 days pre-cruise in UK why not do it ?

Liverpool is only a couple of hours from London Euston, you could easily spend two days in the NWest or even do a day trip (Daytripper Yeah)

It would be even better if you flew into Manchester, Liverpool is just down the road. There are even budget flights from Vancouver to Manchester now.

http://www.flyglobespan.com

Liverpool is a fantastic city to visit if that's what you want to see, it ain't London but it is a really good place to visit. (that's praise indeed from a Mancunian)

It's even got its own cruise terminal now!!!!

Question:

I would suggest that Liverpool has a great deal to offer that is considerably more interesting than a pop group who couldn't even spell.

Matthew

Archived