Category HH Outside Cabin Zaandam

pasavant

Has anyone sailed in a category HH outside cabin on the Zaandam or the Volendam? If so, I would like to hear your opinion on these cabins. They are listed as totally obstructed. Does any light filter into the cabin? I am thinking of booking this cabin for a 14 night alaska cruise because the price is very attractive. Thanks.

I assume you mean the HH cabins on the Lower Promenade deck?

Although we have not had an obstructed view cabin, our last cruise was in a Cat C cabin on the Lower Promenade Deck, so I am familiar with the obstructions involved.

You will get some ambient light during the day time. Your view to the direct outside of your window will be blocked. However, you should be able to see some ocean off to the side or sides, depending on which HH cabin you have.

The outside of the windows are heavily tinted, which you will not notice from the inside, only from the outside. That means that passers-by will not be able to see into your cabin during daylight hours. After dark though, the situation dramatically changes: unless you draw the curtains, the window will act as any glass window and passers by will be able to see into your cabin.

IMO, these cabins are a great value. We booked a Cat C guaranty on the Zaandam last May to Alaska and that is what we got. Our cabin was conveniently located to a main exit to the outside lower promenade deck. It was pretty chilly outside most of the time, so we would not likely have used a verandah, even if we had been upgraded.

These cabins do not have mini-refrigerators. You can rent one for about $2/day, but you will lose some space and an electrical outlet. We opted to bring a collapsible, soft-sided cooler with a couple of gallon ziplock bags to hold ice to keep drinks cold. The cabin steward will replenish the ice.

We will be sailing on the Zaandam again, in February. She is a nice ship with a music-themed decor. We have not sailed on the Volendam, but she gets generally very good reviews from CCers.

Hope this helps! Have a great cruise regardless of the ship!

Archived