Anyone use NCLA Scuba at Kona

lowdown

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked the Kona scuba for dh for first week of December - we looked at Maui for a dive but the logistics of the hour drive at 6 AM seemed too much. Of the two dives listed through NCL (Kona or Kauai) this one peaked his interest the most.

Anyway - if you go I'd like to know what you thought:)

We did the POH last Christmas. We dived at every port. Kona was our least favorite dive site -though we loved Kona. Also, it did not take us an hour to get to the boats on Maui. Yes, it was dark, but the drive was easy. I do not recommend passing up Maui in terms of diving. We saw several sharks at Molokini and huge turtles on the second dive.

One thing we noticed when asking locals how long it takes to go from one place to another, they tended to over estimate the amount of time it takes.

So, on Maui, dive one day, and the next day treat yourself to some Maui Splash wine at the Tdeschi Vineyard.

We did a 2-tank dive in Kona through Torpedo Tours. You can read it here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=652344

Kona is considered some of the best diving because of the lava fields. We went under and into minor structures - saw lots of eels up close, puffer fish, so many fish it's crazy. They sometimes see sharks but we didn't see any when we were out.

We did the POH last Christmas. We dived at every port. Kona was our least favorite dive site -though we loved Kona. Also, it did not take us an hour to get to the boats on Maui. Yes, it was dark, but the drive was easy. I do not recommend passing up Maui in terms of diving. We saw several sharks at Molokini and huge turtles on the second dive.

One thing we noticed when asking locals how long it takes to go from one place to another, they tended to over estimate the amount of time it takes.

So, on Maui, dive one day, and the next day treat yourself to some Maui Splash wine at the Tdeschi Vineyard.

lbrooks34- Who did you use for you dive in Maui? We are trying to plan our dive and are now thinking Maui may be the best? Thanks!!! :-)

I did have a mix up for Kona and did dive at KAUI and just received the DVD from the dives, watched them last night. It was a good time and NCLA booked through SeaSport and they took care of us.

The first dive was okay, the second was with turtles everywhere.

lbrooks34- Who did you use for you dive in Maui? We are trying to plan our dive and are now thinking Maui may be the best? Thanks!!! :-)

Ed Robinson. Very professional. Went over what we would see before we dived the site. They divided divers according to skill level. We got maximum bottom time. Others on our cruise ship went with Maui Dive Shop and hated it. They went out with snorkelers and had limited bottom time.

Archived