should we upgrade to panorama suites?

elena destefano

I'd appreciate your opinions on the following as we've never gone on a cruise before:

1) we presently have booked cat. 10 suites 8139 and 8133 for myself, my husband, our 3 kids (ages 10,8,6) and my in-laws for next month's Transatlantic cruise. My travel agent has informed me that we could upgrade to panorama suites 6175 and 6173 for an additional $1720 per cabin. Do you think we should do it? Is a panorama suite that much better than a "regular" suite? Also, it appears that the suites only have a double bed and one single bed which means that one of my kids wouldn't have a place to sleep. Is this correct?

2) If we upgrade do you think we should still get the X1 drink package?

3) Is there a bottle of sparkling wine in our room every day or just on the first day?

4) Should we pack towels for when we go to the beach or can we use the ones from the ship?

Thank you all in advance for your help and suggestions.

I guess you are sailing Costa Mediterranea. From its deckplan, I can see that your 2 cabins are next to each other, and can accomodate up to 4 people. They are also in a good location being near the elevators and stairs.

Panoramic suites are 50% bigger than cat. 10 cabins, being 270 sq ft as compared to 180 sq ft, and you get a bigger balcony. There are some panoramic suites at the stern which have even larger wrap-around balconies. Some are accommodate up to 4 people.

You do get butler's service in the parnoramic suites, but to me, it's not such a big deal. You certainly won't get complimentary sparkling wine every day.

No need to pack your own towels. The ship provides dark green-coloured towels for pool /beach use, but if you lose them, you will be charged.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Personally I would not upgrade. You will not spend much time in the cabin -- mostly to sleep, shower and change clothes. The extra $1700 could be better spent elsewhere.

There are restrictions on the X1 drink package. Make sure you are aware of them before you decide to purchase it. You can do a search right here to learn the details.

We actually stayed in 6175 last January and booked it again for next January. We have never "not" booked a suite so I cannot tell you whether it's worth it or not for you, it definitely is for us. This suite had more closet and storage space than any suite we've had. The butler service was nice but not a necessity. The champagne was only on the first day but you get fresh fruit daily. The room is in a good location, not too far from anything. You also get a voucher for a meal at the specialty restaurant which was nice. For disembarkation, they have a special room just for suite guests where you can wait, they have coffee and rolls etc. People who say a suite isn't worth it because you're not in your room that much have probably never had a suite. We spend quite a bit of time in our room so really enjoy a suite. We have breakfast on our balcony every morning and also like to spend quiet time in the afternoons reading or sunning on our private balcony. I can't wait !!

Archived