Scuba: What would you want in the W.Caribbean? Grand Princess?

stockton

How do you surprise a scuba diver??? We're going with friends on the Grand Princess in May. It's a surprise 40th birthday gift, so he won't know about the cruise until shortly before departure. Any help planning excursions would really be appreciated. Belize has a 2 tank dive to Turneffe Atoll, Grand Cayman has 3 options (StingRay City, North Wall and West Wall) and Cozumel just mentions that the trip includes 2 dives (1 to a wall, and 1 to shallow reefs). If possible, can these be ranked? We might only be able to do 2 out of 3. Also, which Grand Cayman option is preferred. North Wall looks more challenging, and my friend is quite experienced. Thanks very much,

Are you sure you are going on the Grand in May? I checked the Princess web site and I don't think the Grand cruises the Caribbean in the month of May.

What times are you in port?

In Belize, it is probably quite a bit easier to just go with the ship's excursion. Should be a good dive too.

In Grand Cayman, the North wall dive would be the best dive site, but can be problematic to get to if the wind is coming from the north. If it is, and you won't know 'til you get there, the diving will be moved to the West end where the island will provide shelter. I'd still try to go there as my first choice.

If you are in Cozumel at a decent time, I would recommend that you send him with a private dive operator, especially if he is "quite experienced" and would enjoy diving some of the more advanced sites. I used http://www.bluextseadiving.com and recommend them as being cruiser friendly. They provide excellent service and no more than 8 divers.

Archived