Best snorkeling for 8-yr-old in E. Carib?

boakin

I am traveling with my two boys, ages 4 and 8, and other family members on an NCL cruise in Dec to Eastern Caribbean, with stops in Samana, Tortola, St Thomas and Great Stirrup Cay. My 8-yr-old is not a strong swimmer and has only tried to snorkel once, but it didn't go well. I'd like for him to have a positive experience this time. Any recommendations of a place where he can walk off the beach and snorkel in calm, clear, shallow water with lots to see? How 'bout Cayo Levantado (Dom Rep), Coki Beach (St Thomas), NCL's private island at Great Stirrup Cay? Any tips would be much appreciated!

That is easy...the 6yr old can do St Johns. When you get to St Thomas, Take the ferry over to St Johns. At Trunk Bay they have the underwater snorkel trail (just like the Park service has here in the mountains). It is an US Park and there are rangers there, nice changing area, showers and even some over priced food and drinks (no alcohol). The park life guards give some instruction and make eveyone wear the snorkel vest. you follow under water signs (take a camera).

Thanks much for your response. I had heard about this snorkel trail and it sounds great, but my concern is that it goes into water above his head. Ideally, I would like a place where he can stand up and just put his head in the water to snorkel. He is very nervous about swimming in the ocean in water above his head. Are there areas here where he could just stay in the shallow water and still have a lot to see? Are the waters calm? Thanks again! I appreciate the response!

I've been to Trunk Bay and Coki Beach and would definitely recommend Coki for your family. It's just a quick cab ride away and the water is clear and calm. Because it's right next to Coral World you will see lots and lots of fish. Most families with small children go here, so your son will probably find some kids to play with in the sand too!

Waters are usually very calm as it is in a protected cove of the island. Some parts are shallow but the vest will assist him and everyone MUST wear one (even adults as it is a park rule). When you snorkel you should learn not to stand up as you may damage some coral under you. This may be a good time to help him learn this so when a few more years pass maybe he can join a YMCA and take youth scuba lessons (12yr). Coral World is an underwater glass "tube" with 3 flights of steps down into the water, Kids get to see what a diver would see as they walk down deeper into the ocean. I would still say St John for the snorkeling.

Thanks much for all the friendly advice. If it was just me, I'd go to St John's (maybe a future trip), but my brother wants to take my son to Coki Beach, and it does sound great for the kids to go snorkeling, so I think that's where will go. Thanks again to all!

Coki would be absolutely perfect. The water is the clearest that I have ever experienced and the fish are plentiful. There have been reports on the CC boards reminding people to keep an eye on their valuables at Coki so I thought I would just pass that along.

Karysa

You can't go wrong with Coki Beach in St Thomas. There is plenty of shallow water for your 8 yr old to stand in and bend down to look at the fish. When you rent snorkel gear they will give you dog biscuits to feed the fish. You may want to hold them for him as that can be overwhelming to be swarmed! In the shallows we mostly saw yellow striped fish about the size of an adult hand and schools of tiny silver fish. I think he would love it and would not be anxious about deep water.

Ditto on the Coki Beach. Calm clear waters and lots of families...the private Island will be a good opportunity to practice as well.

We're taking our 8 yo DD to Coki this December. She does better snorkeling when she can walk into the water rather than jumping off a boat!

Can I make a suggestion> Spend about 20 bucks and get him his own snorkel gear. You can find them at boating supply stores or sporting goods places. Get a child size and make sure it fits properly. Let him wear the snorkel and mask in the bathtub or even just to wear around the house (we did this with Hannah when she was 4 so you can do it with your younger one too). A lot of times what freaks them out about snorkeling is not so much the depth of the water but the feeling of the mask and having to breath through their mouth.

If you have a local indoor pool, you can take them there to practice as well.

Archived