Roatan - Pirates of the Caribbean Zip Lining Review

Ms Belvedere

I posted this on the Ports of Call board but am copying it here for anyone headed to Roatan.

We just got back from the Carnival Legend sailing (10/21 -10/27) and did the zip lining with Pirates of the Caribbean in Roatan. This excursion was not done through the cruise line. We got off the ship late, closer to 11:00 and headed toward town. Rafael, a tour guide at the street directed us and another couple who we met as we got off the ship to Melvin, a local cab driver (fantastic), and he drove us to Pirates of the Caribbean in the mountains/rain forest. It was a bit of a drive to get there and we got to see some of the island on the way. This operation is relatively new and I was apprehensive about what we had gotten into.

Heidy is the manager's name and she was very efficient at explaining the setup, Traditional Zip is 45.00, Extreme Zip is 65.00 pp. We chose the Extreme and she got us started with Eder and Juan putting on the equipment. Melvin, our cab driver, waited for us while we went up and was there when we came down. Heidy stored our gear and everything was fine when we got back, it's safe to leave valuables there.

Our two guides took us up the road a bit to Fantasy Island and up a scary, muddy road where I was sure we were going to roll and die and the ship would leave without us. Of course that didn't happen but it added to the sense of adventure! After getting out and walking a short distance to the first zip, Eder showed us the basics and was off across the top of the trees, laughing and clowning around, making this all look easy. Next went the husband of the couple we met, a big guy, he was having a ball too and this eased our fears. That first one is really up there, 358' and 1800 feet long. It makes you catch your breath jumping off the platform and zooming through the air but your butt catches in the harness and you have fun when you are over that first hurdle. What a great time!

The next 7 zips were more and more fun and we were cheering each other on and having so much fun with our guides, Eder and Juan. These guys really know how to ease your fears and encourage you. It was raining and muddy, we never really noticed. The last zip brought us back where we started at the office of Pirates of the Caribbean where we dried off and got out of our harnesses. Heidy suggested a local restuarant and Melvin drove us to it, the Blue Ocean Reef, just down the road. With a beautiful veiw of the rain forest clear out to the ocean, this restaurant served delicious local food and sandwhiches. Melvin, our driver, my DH and the other couple's husband all had a hamburger platter, the other woman and I had the fresh Shrimp Platter in Lime Cream sauce. With drinks, Pepsi, Beer and wine, for 5 people the total bill was 65.00 and we left a 12.00 tip.

Melvin drove us back to town and we got into a traffic jam of cars, tour buses, trucks and pedestrian traffic. After stop-and-go traffic for 20 mins we heard the ship's horn in the distance - PANIC TIME! But Melvin saved the day and got us to the port in the nick of time! We were the last few people to make it on the ship before she sailed.

Overall thoughts, I'd do this again in a heart beat, it was one of the best times I've had in a port on 14 cruises. Roatan is a beautiful island with wonderful people, EVERYONE we talked to, whether they took a tour of the island or an excursion to the beach or zips, etc... said they loved it.

There is a pharmacy on the main street that sells prescrip drugs for half the price of the drugstore on the pier in Belize. One couple we talked to said they both had sinus infections but bought meds in Roatan, she's a nurse and knew the names of the different drugs.

My final recommendations:

1. Wear a bathing suit for this excursion and any excursion you take in Roatan, you never know when you'll end up wet or on a beach.

2. Take your beach towels from the room.

3. Wear water shoes to cover and protect your feet.

4. Bring plenty of small bills for tipping guides and cab drivers, they may not have US dollars for change.

Heidy gave me her email address for any questions about the Pirates of the Caribbean. It's handwritten so I hope I have this right: ucimogtzi@hotmail.com

Heidy, if you read this and I have your email wrong please answer this post and set it straight.

Ms B

Thanks for your zip review. It provided a lot of good information. I'll be on the Glory this time next week, heading for Roatan, and am anxious to "zip." :)

I have a couple questions -- could you tell us the difference between "regular" and "extreme?" Just the number of ziplines?

Was it one line, or a second one for safety?

Did you notice it there is a weight restriction? (I'm about 240, but may be 250 by Roatan :eek: )

Had you made reservations in advance or did you just show up?

Were there many people there? Did you have to wait at all to "zip?"

Inquiring minds want to know...:) And thanks!

Almost missing the ship?...watched two cruisers missing the ship in Antigua..didn't look like fun. Why did the tour cut it so close to the time the ship sailed?...have been on lots of private tours and never felt the need to panic about missing the ship?

Thanks for your zip review. It provided a lot of good information. I'll be on the Glory this time next week, heading for Roatan, and am anxious to "zip." :)

I have a couple questions -- could you tell us the difference between "regular" and "extreme?" Just the number of ziplines?

Was it one line, or a second one for safety?

Did you notice it there is a weight restriction? (I'm about 240, but may be 250 by Roatan :eek: )

Had you made reservations in advance or did you just show up?

Were there many people there? Did you have to wait at all to "zip?"

Inquiring minds want to know...:) And thanks!

Seafun, The Extreme is much higher, Traditional was down in the forest itself from tree to tree. It seemed like the Traditional would be more for families. We had one of those hooks that was attached to the roller (I'm not using the right terminology) that sits directly on the zip line.

I specifically asked about the weight limitations and Heidy said as long as you can fit in the harness you can do the zip lining. I'd bet the other couple's DH was 250.

We booked after we got off the ship. the one Tour Guide who was standing along the street where the cabs sit found Melvin for us and told him we wanted to go zip lining. We were the only ones on the Extreme Line and there was NO wait. Just zipping!

Scotty, we got off the ship late in the morning and the plans were made "spur of the moment". We were watching our time and would have made it back to the ship alright, there's a half hour between when the ship says to be back on and when they actually sail. I would never intentionally cut it that close though. :)

Ms B

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It sounds like I'll be able to stuff my (no-doubt-by-that-point-in-the-cruise-overfed) booty into the harness. :D

I doubt that you'll have a problem, and my DH said that there WERE two hooks for safety on the zip! :)

Archived