Gluten Free on NCL POH

cruznut1111

I notified the special needs department several weeks before we arrived and they let me know that they had no gluten-free soy sauce on board, but would accommodate me if I brought my own. Said they had a wide variety of gluten free options available, but I had a hard time finding them sometimes.

Teppanyaki - The chef cleaned the grill well, was careful to put my rice separate from the rest and I had a lovely safe meal. Just used my own soy and did without the other sauces. Could have had a problem (and I understand someone the previous week did) when they tried to serve me miso soup. They didn’t know that it could be a problem because of the barley enzyme and/or malt used in the manufacture. Now they know.

Cagney’s - Easy to find a gluten free entrée and sides, but couldn‘t do any adjustments. No bread available. GF dessert was limited to their version of “Bananas Foster.” Call it Bananas ‘BubbaJoe’ Foster, lots of ice cream, sliced bananas and the sauce in a cereal bowl. Visually, it was more Kids’ Club than the elegant dessert we love, but the taste was fine.

Cagney’s Star Bar - Funny, I had a letter from the restaurant manager and they knew this was where I would be eating my breakfasts and lunches, but they had no gluten-free products - not even toast- and had a hard time finding any. Finally, on our 7th day, I was able to get gluten-free French toast - a treat I really enjoyed. There were two very fine GF choices- berries & cream, salmon omelets. This was the only place where we didn’t leave tips, despite our intent. Attitudes and effort just weren’t there, but we did see and hear a lot of “attitude“ over the week. Thought they were unwelcoming most days and more interested in haranguing each other than in serving. Despite the very good food, we ended up choosing other options several times.

Blue Lagoon - Really tried hard to keep me safe. They got the chef out to look over the menu with me and we settled on a cup of GF chili and a hamburger with a gluten free bun. Yummy! I think it’s been ten years since I’ve eaten a hamburger with a BUN! And this was a really nice, tasty bun.

I avoided the French fries because they could be dusted with flour and they aren’t put in a dedicated cooker. I avoided the ketchup because it wasn’t Heinz. I skipped the mustard because it was French’s. Then I screw up and ask for shredded cheese to put on the wonderful chili without double checking the brand (because I know that some brands use wheat starch to prevent clumping) or with the chef. Yep - glutened!

Reason I’m so sure it was the cheese - I react very quickly and had already eaten several bites before I added the cheese. Well, for me the misery only lasts @ 4 hours and then starts settling down. I really liked the food, the attitude, the chef and special waitress they assigned. The problem was my fault.

Le Bistro - I had them note on my reservation that I was gluten free. Again, the chef came out to go over my options. The difference here was that the chef offered to adjust the escargot for me and make a couple substitutions in the tasting menu. Not cheap, but well worth the price. A lovely meal.

Jasmine - Despite having my own tamari, I had a hard time here. The spicy chicken in lettuce cups worked well, but it wasn’t PF Chang’s. I would probably pass on this the next time.

Steak and Lobster - I’m not sure which of the main restaurants it came from because we ate in our room. It was wonderful and safe.

Papa’s Italian - Now this is where you would think I would really have trouble, but it was great. The antipasto trolley is predominately gluten-free. The osso bucco is gluten free and delicious. When they realize there is nothing on the dessert menu I can have, they meet with the dessert chef and he creates something wonderful. We thought it was so great we ate there twice. Only problem here was eating in the outside section, so much smoke around it interfered with tasting the food (& breathing).

Aloha Nui - I found some great snacks here in the early evening and late lunch. Sushi, baked potatoes, curry. I was concerned about the curry and they quickly got an answer for me and assured me I could safely eat it. There was another day when I had a question about something and again, got a prompt helpful, though negative, response. (Aloha Iti) - This is where another “gluten free” passenger ate regularly and didn’t seem to have any problems. (Since Nui means big and Iti means small, I’m referring to the small space at the back of the Aloha Nui that has it’s own serving line. Her other favorite dining choice was Alizar.

My overall impression was that NCL “gets it.” Sure there are a few folks here and there that don’t understand, but it is a good choice and we have chosen to use them again in January.

• 1 month later...

Just found this post. Thanks for your information! I was on POA in May, with no probs. I'm going on NCL Jewel in Jan. Hoping they're helpful. I am not real sensitive, but hate to take a chance. I can usually tell when I ate something wrong, but don't get real ill, fortunately. But, I try very hard not to eat gluten, for the damage it did to my duodenum. GF it got better, want to keep it that way!

Thanks again for your helpful post!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nita - Glad I could be some help. Cruising is such a great way for those of us with allergies to see the world with a "semi-personal" chef.

I do worry about how many of us are still wandering through life grumbling about "an upset stomach" and not knowing how easy a FIX there is. I'll report in the 2nd week of February detailing my experiences on the NCL Star.

Cruznut, I stumbled across your post while researching an upcoming cruise. I sent you a msg at your trip adviser account with my e-mail address. I didn't want to post it on the msg board. If you don't mind checking that and seeing if you want to get back to me. It is regarding a question on gluten free.

Thanks,

Michelle

Cruznut, I stumbled across your post while researching an upcoming cruise. I sent you a msg at your trip adviser account with my e-mail address. I didn't want to post it on the msg board. If you don't mind checking that and seeing if you want to get back to me. It is regarding a question on gluten free.

Thanks,

Michelle

I'll check it out. If you don't hear from me in 48 hrs - repost here.

Hi there!

I have just found your posts, in this thread and I think another one about your gluten free cruise experiences. My oldest DD was just diagnosed after five months of serious illness and my youngest DD and I were borderline and advised to adopt a GF diet. We sure do love to travel, and this is requiring a whole lot of extra thought and planning. And I'm really slammed just revamping my kitchen and recipes to GF status. If you have listed anywhere the cruise lines you've had good or bad GF experiences, I'd really appreciate it! Also, if you have any other cruises coming up I'd love to hear about them. It's a hectic time, but to see someone who'd missed a month of school :eek: become migraine free within 72 hours after beginning her GF diet as well as make other great health strides, well, I'll do whatever I have to for our health.

To the others posting in this thread, please excuse my cutting in to your enjoyable precruise excitement with such a personal plea.

In early February I'll be posting my experience on the NCL Star.

Isn't it wonderful that your daughter was diagnosed so early in her life, before extreme harm could have happened to her body! Still, the anquish you have felt watching her suffer as much as she had over her young life has to have been horrid.

Research as much as you can and let folks like me be the guinea pigs. The obvious stuff is easy, and easy to give up. The tough stuff is the hidden and cross-contaminated foods.

A caregiver recently "saved some money" for my mom by getting her Safeways' rice crispy look-alike instead of the EnviroKids Koala Crisps I usually get. They looked for "wheat" but didn't know "malt" meant gluten.:rolleyes: Live, hurt and learn.

On the other point of your question. Princess was a tough line, but I didn't starve, just didn't enjoy the very limited choices I was given. I would still sail with them again if the itinerary was right, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Celebrity - they were sort of ready, but I was worried about cross-contamination.

In case there is anyone out there who is new to celiac and gluten intolerance, it doesn't take much to cause a major problem. My DH has to brush and wash his lips after eating bread before I can have a risk-free kiss.

I will race to be first in a buffet line and can usually get the staff to give me first shot. If someone were to be in front of me and use the pasta spoon to scoop the broccoli the whole batch would be ruined for me. I couldn't take the risk.

Any questions you have, I'll be glad to answer if I can.

Thanks, cruznut. I'm going to keep this thread in my subscriptions! It is absolutely amazing how easy it is to get sick from the smallest speck of gluten. I just finished cleaning out my entire pantry so it's stocked only with gluten free foods. I washed everything down (and I'm not usually a neat-nick!) and then washed the tops off of the jars that remained in the pantry to get the 'dust' off that could contain some gluten. Yipes. We are leaving for a ski trip in Park City, Utah on Sunday and I'm busy finding out where a WalMart type store is so I can buy a toaster for our rental house. An uncontaminated toaster...who would have thought?!! Good thing I can get one for $10. I also had to cancel her trip to Spain with her Spanish class this February because it would just be too hard staying in a different hotel, different city every day while eating out each meal with a big group and staying healthy. I'm sure once she gets the hang of it her travels will increase, with a lot of preplanning. I'm just glad to have you as an advisor for cruising fun. My youngest DD and I are also having a go at the GF diet and seem to have positive results. We LOVE to cruise. For those of you with unrelenting migraines, I read that the National Migraine Foundation thinks those who do not respond to standard treatment protocols should consider being tested for Celiac Disease. Just FYI.

Well, off to organize my 'new' kitchen. And I'm making a spot for the gluten free packets of soy sauce and mini Heinz ketchup bottles I ordered from minimus.biz so we could have a bit more food fun in restaurants. WooHoo. Good thing most alcohol is safe :D

If you have any great GF sources or sites, you can email me at:

JustJoan83@gmail.com

Wow, more posting to this thread! A couple of years ago I started a thread about GF dining on cruising, then haven't even looked for awhile. I've cruised 26 times in over 8 years, on most of the lines, but only on NCL, Princess, and RCI since going GF. On both Princess and RCI at dinner the head waiter would bring me the next day's menu, help me with selections, and I ordered ahead. They also had GF bread, but I've never found any worth eating, so just don't bother. Freestyle is a bit more complicated than traditional dining, with the same wait staff, but I've done it. I've only been on POA, Sun and Star since GF, but never got sick. I have Celiac, however do not get deathly sick if I get cross contamination. Lucky to not feel too unwell, but I never purposely eat gluten for fear of recurring lesions.

Not sure if I can be of any help here, but ask and I'll try! I did find out they have an omellette station at the buffet on the Jewel, and I do well with them. I always take my GF cereal, in case I want cabin service in the morning. I also take my GF crackers and pretzels, in case I need a snack on an excursion. Taking a banana or apple off the ship works well, too.

Wow, more posting to this thread! They also had GF bread, but I've never found any worth eating, so just don't bother.

Don't try Kinnikinik or you won't be able to stop!

If you read the "Gluten Free on Paul Gauguin" thread, you already know that they hand mixed Gluten Free Pantry bread for me every other day. It was so good my husband passed on the basket and ate mine.

I went "nuts" the last two days and bought $1500 worth of gluten-free food (AT 70% off!!!! = $450). Our new health food store with the great GF supplies is going out of business. I figured stocking a 4-6 month supply was better than going without or paying full price later.:D

Don't try Kinnikinik or you won't be able to stop!

If you read the "Gluten Free on Paul Gauguin" thread, you already know that they hand mixed Gluten Free Pantry bread for me every other day. It was so good my husband passed on the basket and ate mine.

I went "nuts" the last two days and bought $1500 worth of gluten-free food (AT 70% off!!!! = $450). Our new health food store with the great GF supplies is going out of business. I figured stocking a 4-6 month supply was better than going without or paying full price later.:D

Wow, great buy! The GF food can be quite a bit more expensive.

I do buy Kinnikinik white bread, keep it in the freezer, make toast with it. Don't like it for a sandwich, unless grilled or toasted, though. And my little GF store had the best cinnamon/raisin bread before Christmas, fresh made. I cut thick slices, toasted it, butter, yum! And it made outstanding French Toast! But, it was $5.50 a loaf, and when cut thick, it lasted barely 3 days, and I ate most of it!

RCI and Princess had GF bread for me, it was okay, but decided to just do without, and eat other good foods!

Archived