My Message didn't post....sorry - first family cruise

on Liberty over Thanksgiving. I have a couple of questions....

First off - thanks to everyone on this board that helped me make a decision and finally book a cruise last year! I can't wait to go.

Okay - here goes -

ATTIRE: Formal nights - my DS (4yo) and DH will wear suits, DS (16 yo) will either wear a suit (having trouble finding one without spending a fortune) or nice pants, blazer, shirt and tie. DD (6yo) and I will wear nice dresses (more cocktail or evening wear) - classy/elegant.

Casual nights: Is it okay for the guys to wear khakis and polos or do they need to wear button downs/ties? As for my DD and I, we will wear more casual dresses or nice capri sets.

Does this work?

BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION: My DS is going to turn 4 yo on the cruise - how do I get a cake, etc?

CRUISING OVER THANKSGIVING: Will it be chilly at night? Should we bring sweaters, sweatshirts?

OUTLETS: I have a powerstrip and extension cord to bring - do I also need outlet converters? Are they grounded/3-prong outlets?

Any other tidbits are great!

First off - thanks to everyone on this board that helped me make a decision and finally book a cruise last year! I can't wait to go.

Okay - here goes -

ATTIRE: Formal nights - my DS (4yo) and DH will wear suits, DS (16 yo) will either wear a suit (having trouble finding one without spending a fortune) or nice pants, blazer, shirt and tie. DD (6yo) and I will wear nice dresses (more cocktail or evening wear) - classy/elegant.

Casual nights: Is it okay for the guys to wear khakis and polos or do they need to wear button downs/ties? As for my DD and I, we will wear more casual dresses or nice capri sets.

Does this work? YUP!

BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION: My DS is going to turn 4 yo on the cruise - how do I get a cake, etc? Well...you can order b-day decorations at RCCL.com if you like...otherwise, i would speak with your head waiter the first evening at dinner....(you could probably call RC too and see if this could be preordered....

CRUISING OVER THANKSGIVING: Will it be chilly at night? Should we bring sweaters, sweatshirts? It can always be chilly in the DR and other public areas so a light sweater would be a good idea....or a pashmina (they actually sell 'pashmina-like' things on the ship for 10 bucks...pretty nice, no tax.!)

OUTLETS: I have a powerstrip and extension cord to bring - do I also need outlet converters? Are they grounded/3-prong outlets? iirc they are....you probably don't need the extension cord if you have the power strip...i would think that you could just plug it in then plug in your stuff...i have never bothered to take one...the only things i charge are my cell phone and PDA

see above......i tried to help!:D

i think you should be good to go....my brain is not working very well right at the moment....but if you have other ???s feel free to ask away....have a great trip.! cruising IS addictive!

Okay - here goes -

Does this work?

BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION: My DS is going to turn 4 yo on the cruise - how do I get a cake, etc?

CRUISING OVER THANKSGIVING: Will it be chilly at night? Should we bring sweaters, sweatshirts?

OUTLETS: I have a powerstrip and extension cord to bring - do I also need outlet converters? Are they grounded/3-prong outlets?

Hmmm...I'll touch the cake question. :D You can order them online at http://www.rccl.com under Gifts & Gear I believe. To my knowledge they don't give you free cakes, and that is the only way they have ever delivered one for us.

I would think khakis and polos on the non-formal nights would be just duckie. :)

Agree your clothing choices are fine. The males do not need ties for any night that has 'casual' in its title.

You should be able to pre-order a cake. Call the line or TA (whichever you booked thru).

I always take a sweater or sweatshirt as I love to be on deck and won't allow a chilly breeze to stop me! You could also instead decide to not take em and buy em on board only if you need em. HOWEVER, I am one of those that always takes an extra layer into a dining room or show venue as I can only take so much AC.

Okay - here goes -

Does this work?

I will be on the same sailing - we have a great roll call going. My dd is also celebrating her bday on the cruise (turning 9) - I ordered her a cake online - it was $8. You can also call them and order it over the phone. I also got the room decorations - cute but make the room kind of crowded!

YES it will be chilly at night. (of course, i am always cold!) Have everyone bring at least one sweater or sweatshirt - the dinning rooms can be chilly.

Kathy

Great - thank you all so much. So, on a 7 night cruise - are there two formal nights and the others are casual?

Thanks again for info on the cake - I'll get it ordered ASAP! My 3 year old keeps calling this his "birthday cruise". We must have a cake. :-)

I'll definitely need a sweater as I get cold easily and usually need a jacket/sweater in restaurants.

I can't wait.......

Now, if I could only get my kids into the kids program.....

Thanks Kathy - I'll have to go out to the roll call. Have you ever cruised over Thanksgiving? We chose this week so the kids didn't miss as much school.

I am so looking forward to it. My little one would love the decorations too. I'll get this done ASAP.

Thanks again!

Kathy (too)

Great - thank you all so much. So, on a 7 night cruise - are there two formal nights and the others are casual?

Thanks again for info on the cake - I'll get it ordered ASAP! My 3 year old keeps calling this his "birthday cruise". We must have a cake. :-)

I'll definitely need a sweater as I get cold easily and usually need a jacket/sweater in restaurants.

I can't wait.......

Now, if I could only get my kids into the kids program.....

Do your kids not want to go to the kids club? My dd LOVES the kids club - we are all meeting up before the meet and mingle and again at the meet and mingle - come and bring your kids! There will be a TON of kids there and I am sure once your kids meet other kids who will be going to kids club they will want to go.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy - I'll have to go out to the roll call. Have you ever cruised over Thanksgiving? We chose this week so the kids didn't miss as much school.

I am so looking forward to it. My little one would love the decorations too. I'll get this done ASAP.

Thanks again!

Kathy (too)

Guess we were posting at the same time! We always cruise over Thanksgiving - for the same reason - we don't miss as much school/work. You will LOVE cruising this week. It is so much fun.

Come check out the roll call and sign up for the meet and mingle. https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Kathy

Hey Kathy - I think my 6yo would love the Kids Club, but my almost 4yo will have issues. He and my DD wouldn't be together and he has extreme anxiety....not the type to cry and stop as soon as mom leaves. If he and the 6yo were together it'd probably be okay. Do they ever have activities where the two groups are together?

I will sign up for the meet and mingle, definitely -

I really appreciate you giving me all this advice. I know we'll have a great time. My teen is going to have a blast.

Kathy

KathyEmma - I signed my family up for the Meet & Mingle for the Thanksgiving cruise. I went online to order the cake and all I saw was the $75 package - where did you find an $8 birthday cake?

Thanks to everyone!

Kathy

KathyEmma - I signed my family up for the Meet & Mingle for the Thanksgiving cruise. I went online to order the cake and all I saw was the $75 package - where did you find an $8 birthday cake?

Thanks to everyone!

Kathy

I ordered the decorations for my DH's B'day this summer - $30.00 (pics of decorations in link below). The cake is in the same area of the website; under Gifts and Gear - Stateroom Decorations. Our tablemates asked our waiter for something special for my DH and they brought a piece of cake with Happy Birthday written in frosting on the cake.

Kathy

ATTIRE: Formal nights - DS (16 yo) will either wear a suit (having trouble finding one without spending a fortune) or nice pants, blazer, shirt and tie.

On our last cruise I got DS 16 a tuxedo from ebay for $25. He thought he was hot stuff.

You also might want to check out local thrift stores for suits or jackets.

We only saw DS at dinner. He had a blast.

Enjoy

Denise

Hmmm...I'll touch the cake question. :D You can order them online at http://www.rccl.com under Gifts & Gear I believe. To my knowledge they don't give you free cakes, and that is the only way they have ever delivered one for us.

I told the asst. server on our cruise in May what day my mil's bday was. At dessert time she brought out a large slice of cake and and the servers and waiters sang something. The slice was large enough that whole table had a little of it. It was free.

Archived