Discover Scuba or St. Thomas Snuba

miami

Without a doubt I would do the discover scuba. I did this several times with Windstar before getting fully certified. Snuba is more or less like a long snorkle. I've seen pictures where people walk on the sea floor while snuba-ing. This brings up a lot of issues. The coral will not be very nice. The viewing area will be clouded with folks walking in the sand stirring up the silt. Which means there will not be many fish to see. Discover scuba on the other hand will teach you dive dive no deeper than 45 feet, with no one walking on the sea floor. The coral should be pristine and untouched. Which means lots of fish.

Hope this helps,

Ed

Snuba is more or less like a long snorkle. I've seen pictures where people walk on the sea floor while snuba-ing. This brings up a lot of issues. Ed

This is incorrect, snuba is the same as the scuba, but the tank is floating above, limits you to a depth of 20 feet, which is where the coral is. you cannot walk on the bottom, you are weighted so you have zero lift/sink. what you've seen pictures of is the helmet dive, which is a little walk on a defined path, and watching it at coralworld, it looks very boring.

If you do decide to do the snuba, contact visnuba.com, they are cheaper than the boat arrainged groups, and they do both St. Thomas and St. John.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I have wanted to try scuba diving. Thought either would give me an idea whether I liked it enough to get certified.

I have seen pictures of the helmet dives and I don't think I would like that very much.

• 2 months later...

Archived