Water Shoes at Baths?

beverland

I can't help you with RCI's excursion, but I do suggest water shoes for going through the Baths. They're not definitely needed but will be helpful in some areas (as opposed to bare feet) (slippery rocks, etc). If you are snorkeling in, you will need to wear flippers (due to the current, etc), so carry your water shoes (for instance, in a bag or something like that).

I recommend water shoes while going through the Baths but for the path down and back, wear sneakers because otherwise you will be very uncomfortable with the sand in your shoes. I made the mistake of not bringing sneakers and I was very uncomfortable on the way back.

how bout wearing my crocs. when i was in israel we wore them in the dead sea because it was very rocky getting in the ocean as a matter of fact we wore them in the ocean in tel aviv also it just better than wearing nothing. will they be ok to do the hike to the baths

You will have to get the sand out of the shoes and your feet before the hike back up or the ferry ride back because it's very uncomfortable with wet sand in your feet.

I never had crocs so I can't tell you how your feet will feel on the hike back but those shoes are backless right? That might not be such a good idea. It's up to you though. You have to climb over boulders and rocks.

no they have a strap that goes around your ankel. i was in israel and all of the "locals" wore them even when hiking masada which is a huge rocky mountain so i dont see me having a problem i just have to take off my shoe and shakeit off int eh water to empty the sand and im good the shoes have holes in them

no they have a strap that goes around your ankel. i was in israel and all of the "locals" wore them even when hiking masada which is a huge rocky mountain so i dont see me having a problem i just have to take off my shoe and shakeit off int eh water to empty the sand and im good the shoes have holes in them

Ohh if you wore them at Masada, then they will definitely be fine for the Baths. Just make sure to shake all the sand out of them because that wet sand really is very uncomfortable. I couldn't wait to get back on the ship and in my cabin to get those water shoes that I had on, off. They were just so annoying.

Have a great trip....the Baths are a beautiful place. :)

Here's the tour from the NCL website:

"Virgin Gorda Highlights

Approximate Duration: 4 hours

Activity Details: shorexLegnd_2Moderate.gifshorexLegnd_FamilyFriendly.gif

Adult Pricing From: $69

Take an approximately 40-minute cruise along the Sir Francis Drake Channel to Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda. Open safari buses take you on a 20-minute drive through Spanish Town to The Baths for swimming in the unique atmosphere of mammoth boulders, palms, and sea caves. Travel along the trails and boulders to discover hidden caves and sea pools. Note: Wear your swimsuit and bring a towel. The footpath to The Baths is rough, consists of uneven terrain and goes through small spaces. Snorkel gear can be rented on the beach. "

It's on the 3rd page of Tortola shore excursions. Looks pretty $$$ to me for what amounts to transportation :) !

• 2 weeks later...

Your Crocs will be absolutely perfect for the Baths. I wear mine all the time, everywhere, even when swimming in the bay. You can hike in them, swim in them, etc. My dive fins are the kind that you wear diving boots with, but I've never tried to shove a Croc in there. Crocs float. Bring something to tie them to yourself as you snorkle with your regular barefoot fins on. That way, they are out of your hands when you don't want to be wearing them. And when you slip off your fins and want your shoes, there they are. :)

I am taking the Jewel in Feb. I just looked at their excursion site and unless I missed it, I'm not exactly sure which excursion is the Baths.

Can you let me know.

thanks

It is Excursion #TT09 Island Voyage to Virgin Gorda and the Baths. We just got back and would not recommend it unless you like to be herded like cows on a caravan of jitneys with 100 of your best (or not so best) friends. It is the worst excursion we have ever been on. The Baths were very cool, but it wasn't worth the entire day it took because there were so many people on the excursion. I will write up a review on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

With the negative comments about getting herded and ripped off for transportation. What are the choices? The problem is that the Jewel of the Seas leaves Tortola at 3:00 pm, and none of the local operators offer tours that return before 4:00. Can we do it ourselves? :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Amy

We are thinking of visiting The Baths during our visit to Tortola on QM2 in March. My wife is a non swimmer, is this going to make the trip a waste of time, is swimming compulsory to get to the baths, she will wade as long as the water is not too deep or the current strong.

Any help would be appreciated

We are thinking of visiting The Baths during our visit to Tortola on QM2 in March. My wife is a non swimmer, is this going to make the trip a waste of time, is swimming compulsory to get to the baths, she will wade as long as the water is not too deep or the current strong.

Any help would be appreciated

There are two paths....one easy and one difficult. The difficult one has you walking and climbing through boulders and rocks. Take the easier path down. No she doesn't have to be a swimmer, just have her wade along the shoreline but stay close by her. Here are some pictures.

2074634110046899484S600x600Q85.jpg

2660191180046899484S600x600Q85.jpg

The Path

2152853460046899484S600x600Q85.jpg

2973537560046899484S600x600Q85.jpg

Hope this helps. :)

Since your wife is a non-swimmer, I suggest you check with the shore excursion staff on the QM2 before you book. Ask them whether your "ferry" (that takes you from Tortola to VG) will dock at VG (in which case you will be transported to the Baths via taxi/tram) or whether your "ferry" will take you offshore at the Baths (for some snorkeling time- and then you will be required to swim in to the Baths). Several cruiselines (RCL, NCL) offer two different excursions- one by land and one by water- obviously only "by land" once you get to VG LOL).

A non-swimmer will not be able to get from an offshore boat to the shore by the Baths, so she might find herself watching the rest of you swim in to shore & miss seeing the Baths. The boats do get close- but because of the rocks and currents, there is still a significant swim. If they suggest that someone "accompany her" (meaning "drag" her to shore with her in a life jacket or on a float), make sure this would not terrify her!

Once you are on shore, the walk (climb, etc) through the Baths would not be a problem for a non-swimmer. She will have to wade at times, but the water is not deep and there is very little current inside the Baths area.

We just were at The Baths last week on the RCI excursion. It was a wonderful trip. We did not feel "herded" at all. As far as water shoes go, we used them but they seemed to be more a nuisance than an aid. They continuously filled up with sand while in The Baths. We brought sneakers to walk down the path to The Baths. I would not wear wet water shoes on the walk back up the hill to the taxis. While we were there the surf on the beach was somewhat rough. It was at every island we stopped at last week. The beauty of Virgin Gorda is that it is really unspoiled. Meaning, that the island is really untouched by tourism, a very “sleepy” island. Tortola appeared to be like that too. Some of the people on the cruise loved it others hated it. I guess it is a personal preference.

Archived