New To Carnival Not To Cruising

renata102

We have been on 6 Carnival Cruises and have loved them, service, food and meeting some great people. We are planning our first RCCL cruise next May and have been on those boards a lot the last couple weeks. You will find the Carnival boards and people much more helpful, friendly and fun. Truth be told it has us worried as to the kind of people on RCCL as on the boards they seem more stuffy and snobby. Just our opinion.

I agree with you kidless, I'm sailing on RCCL in 8/09. I decided to check out the boards for RCCL, and found them to be a little stuffy, snobby, and unfriendly IMHO. I felt so lost on that board. Carnival boards are way more friendly and helpful.

got great interliner rates which is extended to military!

Carnival is different, the interliner rates are reserved for airline and travel industry, other lines call them interliner rates. You got a military rate, mostly they are the same except with interliner rates, the 2nd cabin is usually maybe 30 higher, and on CCL it is the same when they offer the f&f discount.

Welcome aboard, you'll get a wealth of knowledge on these boards and I think everyone is a lot of fun.

The Camp Carnival is unbeatable, IMO - and the masses seam to vote that way. I'm huge fan of the ocean views on the conquest class because of all the room!

Have some o' that Chocolate melting cake for me! :D

i dont think you will see much of a differnce i been on one rccl which was monarch of the seas it was a nice ship but we felt like we were in a box.. carnival rooms and beds are better and the dinning room food is better.. but the buffet is better on rc..

you will see little things and to me not worth comparing

except i do think carnival is more laid back and in rc i felt i had to be proper..the kids area seems to be be about the same as well

we leave tonight for carnival liberty and doing rccl next year to alaska

i dont think you will see much of a differnce i been on one rccl which was monarch of the seas it was a nice ship but we felt like we were in a box..

I've never sailed RCCL, but I was looking into a cruise on Monarch. While researching, I was HORRIFIED by how small the rooms were. I was told that is the exception for the line, and that the newer ships have much bigger cabins.

I too was a die hard fan of RC but after our last cruise with them we were tired of the same ole thing and the food and service were disappointing so we needed a change. Maybe it was just an off cruise for the crew. We went on the Conquest and loved it. There are some things we liked better on RC and some things we liked better on Carnival. Dont believe all the people who say Carnival is the walmart of cruising, its not true. It was not a redneck convention either. They are very similiar and neither is way above the other. It is a cruise and not work so that alone makes it worth it no matter what line you chose.

I felt the same way about RCCL after about 5 cruises with them one after another. That is why we took a Princess and now a Carnival cruise. All in all, I look forward to the new experience. PLUS I am sure my children will love it (Camp Carnival).

I too was a die hard fan of RC but after our last cruise with them we were tired of the same ole thing and the food and service were disappointing so we needed a change. Maybe it was just an off cruise for the crew. We went on the Conquest and loved it. There are some things we liked better on RC and some things we liked better on Carnival. Dont believe all the people who say Carnival is the walmart of cruising, its not true. It was not a redneck convention either. They are very similiar and neither is way above the other. It is a cruise and not work so that alone makes it worth it no matter what line you chose.

That is how I was too. I got so tired of the same thing. that is why we went to Princess and now Carnival. Look forward to it. Its how you enjoy the cruise that makes the cruise.

I have sailed with RCCL yet, but I did a Princess cruise. Here what I found....

Cabins- roomier on Carnival

Pool areas- Princess was nicer

Drinks- equal, no better no worse

Food- way better on Carnival for variety and taste. I love the free juice stations at the buffet area on Carnival and milk, choclate milk, etc... I also enjoy the 24hr free ice cream and 24hr pizza on Carnival.

Service- Carnival a bit better: equal for dining room and cabin serward but buffet area was better on Carnival, found more dirty tables and hard to find someone to place drink orders.

Can't comment on the kids clubs (yet ;) )

That's about all I can think of, I don't remember going to a show in the main theatre but I know I absolutely love the shows on Carnival. Carnival has now started to do big screen movies, at the time I sailed with Princess, Carnival had not started this and I really enjoyed seeing Mr and Mrs Smith on the Caribbean Princess to get out of the sun for a bit.

Hope this helps!

RCCL vs Carnival. I've been on both equal number of times (see my sig lines) and I find service, food, entertainment...everything about them equal. With the exception of the ship sizes....I love the RCCL Freedom and Voyager classes. I've never had poor service on either. And if I did, I wouldn't come back and say that ship or cruiseline is worst because of it. I would just realize that everyone has a bad day now and then.

I was one of the "cruise snobs" that wouldn't sail on Carnival because I thought it was all wild, young people. Two years ago, my daughter convinced us to try the Liberty to the Mediterranean. It was awesome! Although the ship's decor was a little "out there" for my taste, the rooms were large and comfortable, the service was great, and the food was good. (I have sailed several Princess, NCL, Celebrity and RCCL ships prior to this.) The next year, I cruised on the Liberty again, with my 2 year old granddaughter. Camp Carnival was wonderful!! She loved it. The staff there was tremendous. My granddaughter can't wait to go on another cruise.

Other differences between the ships seemed rather subtle.

Although I have never sailed the Valor, I wouldn't hesitate to sail another Carnival.

I've enjoyed all my cruises I've been on. We've been on 6 Carnival, 1 Princess, 1 Royal Caribbean, 1 Norwegian and have the Voyager of the Seas booked for January, but are already looking to book Carnival again. I am tired of the "better than you" attitude on many of the threads on RCCL. I think most of those people never sailed Carnival.

To the OP, please review the deck plans before you board because the biggest complaint on the RCCL boards about Carnival is they can't get from one area of the ship to the other because decks 3 and 4 don't go all the way through. Guess some people aren't smart enought to read a deck plan by the elevator. Decks 2, 5, and 7 generally go front to back.

Just sailed the EOS out of New Jersey this past July. I also sailed on the Carnival Pride. Here is the low down in my opion. Food of couse is just an opion but my wife and I felt the food was far better on Carnival then RCCL. I mean everything. From dinners to the buffet and pizza. Please note you will not starve on RCCL. The pools were also nice on both but the slide on Carnival was fun.

Cabins are far bigger on Carnival then RCCL. As a maater of fact the cabins on RCCL were really small. I will admit the rock climbing was fun. Also the ice show was really good. The kids program on both I felt were really good, so thats a toss up. If I had to choose between Carnival and RCCL I would take Carnival in a minute because of food and cabins.

Very interesting and informative thread. This month I will be on the Paradise and was wondering the differences between the Monarch and the Paradise (and also because the Monarch is leaving California in October 08). I'm thinking they're going to be similar except I know the cabins have to be larger (Monarch is tiny). I've been thinking, different menus, yes. I did the Fantasy many years ago now and I'm assuming there are shows with the singers and dancers. I'm looking forward to the Paradise.

Later. Robin :cool:

So much advice, my head is swimming......

The Mariner (RCCL) last Oct was fabulous...from beginning to end; we did not want to leave !!! Planned for months and had a fantastic CC group all along on our thread and then on the ship/excursions together. Our thread is still current and we are planning a Mariner reunion cruise. Loved everything about the ship/staff/food/the Prominade...amazing. Loved the Rock wall, made it up--rang the bell. I'm no spring chicken and neither was my CC buddy climbing along beside me (love ya Barb !) The ice show was great entertainment. Definitely worth going to and a memorable experience. So if RCCL costs more because of it, it is worth it.

This Carnival cruise is actually not much less in price than our cruise last year---flights are higher this year, I must say. Our cabin size was good, (balcony on the bump, portside) we had no complaints. Loved the solid sliding shower door. I hear they are not on other cruiselines, (correct me if I am wrong, but I have not heard of them on any other cruiselines).

I hear from friends who have cruised both and from reading posts on these threads that the Carnival ships have larger cabins, better food, lower pricing. Personally do not know, but will in 32 days!!!!! I don't think comparing cruiselines is a good idea, because they are different in many ways. I don't compare our Carnival Fantasy inside cabin cruise to our RCCL Mariner balcony, because there were so many differences. Both were fun, and that's the main reason we go on cruises.

Have fun on your cruise. !!!:) We are very much looking forward to our December cruise on Carnival again. We have another Carnival CC thread going and feel like we know each other a little already, have excursions planned together, and are all totally excited about sailing together. I don't think there can be a bad cruise, not unless you go into it thinking it may be.

I can not compare the two for you since I have only been on Carnival-but I think you will love it. My kids have always loved Camp Carnival and the staff always did a good job keeping them entertained. I wanted to say thank you to your husband and your family for the job he does. My family and I appreicate it. My thoughts are with you and God bless.:) Have a wonderful cruise!!

Thank you all for the comments on this informative thread. I've only cruised twice and both were RCCL. I have two more cruises booked next year and they are both also RCCL (one is a transatlantic). One of those is a fund raising group cruise that I organized. I like the loyalty packages of RCCL so will likely stick with them. Still, I'm thinking of trying out Carnival. The prices of the Carnival cruises are enticing. That's why I read this thread. And John Heald's blog is great!

Unfortunately, I only have Carnival experience...so I can't compare and contrast.

However, I have some "deployment" experience. BIL Black Hawk Pilot (1 tour) and cousin Marine Medic (2 tours) .

Carnival filled the bill, because you had a specific need....care for your 2 year old child.

Go ...relax...build fabulous memories and don't give a second thought about what RCCL might or might not do better than Carnival.

"Thank you" to all of you for your service and sacrifice at this time.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Archived