Live on Board Azamara Quest - 10/31 - 11/12

Cruisers1975

Napis Mom, I respectfully disagree with you..bad is bad and when a passenger pays money for a trip they expect it to be wonderful..not perfect but wonderful..and like myself, whether I want to or not I am on the computer while I am on the ship..it is a part of my life. I hope with all my heart that Azamara becomes successful..and when it does I will be their biggest cheerleader..but right now having been on it, they have a way to go..

Jan

I could not have said it better! Those that don’t see it that way will likely come away disappointed. Azamara at this point is not a separate new line from Celebrity but a managed new line under their direct control. I want and believe they will succeed but if they don’t understand the problems that exist, it will take longer if at all for that to happen.:confused:

You made the right choice I think...I personally feel the OP went aboard expecting a bad trip...and is finding what he expected' date=' as we all do. Haven't you ever had a totally different reaction to events than others have?? After all he was already blaming Azamara for the weather related changes before he ever set foot on the ship. Much of log was wasted on complaints about email/internet. service. Well I for one think a VACATION is better off with out all the folderol from home...why waste so much time collecting, reading and ANSWERING emails. Why bother to go away on a trip at all???:rolleyes:[/quote']

Are right Mom, I'll make the most of it!! (grin) However, like I said if they have it, it should work - otherwise don't have it!;) Peter

I've noticed we haven't heard anymore from cruisers1975.

Great Log! I too am sailing Nov. 12 and hope all gets better and better with Quest. Looking forward to more reports. Glad you are still going Peter.

Thanks,

Joycruise ;)

Joy

! See ya onboard ---- Grrrrrrr!:eek:

You know guys I've been on lots of cruises and in recent years most of them have been with HAL. I was on their early cruise with both the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam. There was none of the garbage I've been hearing about either the Journey or the Quest. So I'm going into this with great optimism, BUT - if it doesn't work at all reasonably, then I'm going back to HAL and won't sail with Celebrity again. (vent vent vent) Peter

I've noticed we haven't heard anymore from cruisers1975.

Perhaps Cruisers1975 is having the same type of internet related problems I was having while onboard Quest. I know a very few of you were unhappy that I could not report as much as I had planned, but it was entirely beyond my control. Some posters thought I should be spending my entire Cruise at the keyboard :).

Bottom line is... I spent a great deal of time trying to get the internet to work. When it did... it was horribly slow.... sometimes taking 5-10 minutes to load 1 page.

I surely hope that the OP has a better time with the internet than I did. I look forward to additional posts. If not, I am sure Cruisers1975 will report back when conditions are favorable. At any rate, I hope they are having a great Cruise !

Perhaps Cruisers1975 is having the same type of internet related problems I was having while onboard Quest. I know a very few of you were unhappy that I could not report as much as I had planned, but it was entirely beyond my control. Some posters thought I should be spending my entire Cruise at the keyboard :).

Bottom line is... I spent a great deal of time trying to get the internet to work. When it did... it was horribly slow.... sometimes taking 5-10 minutes to load 1 page.

I surely hope that the OP has a better time with the internet than I did. I look forward to additional posts. If not, I am sure Cruisers1975 will report back when conditions are favorable. At any rate, I hope they are having a great Cruise !

Andy! You must be in sales - you are the eternal optimist! I appreciate it!!!!! Peter:)

Peterd, for what it's worth, we had a lovely time. Sure the service was inconsistent, but it didn't ruin our fun. They were really trying to please. I know food is subjective, but we had some delicious dishes (sea bass yes, tuna no). We didn't like everything, but had no complaints with its quality or selection. And despite the experience of the very entertaining OP, the room service order we placed was delivered timely, hot, and tasty.

Certainly they will have all the TVs, DVDs, phones, billing system, etc. working by the time you sail. And they will have told the butlers not to knock on doors after 10p.

Maybe things will work out for the best! Have fun.

Peterd, for what it's worth, we had a lovely time. Sure the service was inconsistent, but it didn't ruin our fun. They were really trying to please. I know food is subjective, but we had some delicious dishes (sea bass yes, tuna no). We didn't like everything, but had no complaints with its quality or selection. And despite the experience of the very entertaining OP, the room service order we placed was delivered timely, hot, and tasty.

Certainly they will have all the TVs, DVDs, phones, billing system, etc. working by the time you sail. And they will have told the butlers not to knock on doors after 10p.

Maybe things will work out for the best! Have fun.

I have the same optimism and it's nice to hear goods things rather than bad. I like objective reviews (and have written a view). Tell you what, I'll make a deal with everyone - presuming the internet works, will start a thread and give a blow by blow description as to how it goes. Peter:rolleyes:

I was on the Oct. 24 and Oct. 26 sailing of the Quest, and my husband and I loved every minute of it. This was my 14th cruise, so I have much to compare to. The staff was the friendliest, most helpful, pleasant group that I have met. The food was wonderful in all of the diningrooms. The ship is absoutely beautiful with all of the new furniture, carpeting and draperies. The group that entertained in the Caberat were extremely talented and did a spectacular job of getting the audience involved. For all of you that will be on future cruises, go with a positive attitude and don't listen to those who probabley don't see the brighter side of anything. Nothing is ever perfect, wouldn't life be boring then.

I was on the Oct. 24 and Oct. 26 sailing of the Quest, and my husband and I loved every minute of it. This was my 14th cruise, so I have much to compare to. The staff was the friendliest, most helpful, pleasant group that I have met. The food was wonderful in all of the diningrooms. The ship is absoutely beautiful with all of the new furniture, carpeting and draperies. The group that entertained in the Caberat were extremely talented and did a spectacular job of getting the audience involved. For all of you that will be on future cruises, go with a positive attitude and don't listen to those who probabley don't see the brighter side of anything. Nothing is ever perfect, wouldn't life be boring then.

should be standing at the dock, waving us all onboard - Thank You!!!!

peter:o

You know guys I've been on lots of cruises and in recent years most of them have been with HAL. I was on their early cruise with both the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam. There was none of the garbage I've been hearing about either the Journey or the Quest. So I'm going into this with great optimism, BUT - if it doesn't work at all reasonably, then I'm going back to HAL and won't sail with Celebrity again. (vent vent vent) Peter

Hi Peter !

I want to point out that, IMHO, things werent THAT bad on Quest. As I have said on other posts, it's true there were some problems, most of which were minor. I feel that the issues we had, should be resolved in the very near future. With that said, overall, we had a very nice time on Quest, and I would book Azamara again. Depending on my schedule, we may sail on Quest again in March '08, but it all depends on if the date works for the rest of my Family.

While I was not on Journey's first sailing, I am seeing comments proclaiming the Quest sailings to be as bad as Journey's first sailings. From what I recall reading about Journey first sailings, and from my firsthand experiences on Quest, I feel that things were probably far better on Quest, than what happened on Journey's innaugural sailings.

I always say, a day on a Cruise, is better than a day at work ! My advice ? I would take both the negative and the positive comments with a grain of salt, make your OWN judgements, go on your Cruise, and enjoy.

I sincerely hope you will have a great Cruise on Quest.

Thanks Summerchas for a positive account of the Quest. I new ship usually will have some problems, & we should understand that it might inconvience us, but keeping a positive outlook helps to get through them. I hope that the Management reads these postings & will take them as constructive criticism & correct what is needed.

We are cruising on Nov. 12th, so I am looking forward to a "Fun Filled Cruise:) "

Happy Cruisin',

Althea AKA Tall One

Hi Peter !

I want to point out that, IMHO, things werent THAT bad on Quest. As I have said on other posts, it's true there were some problems, most of which were minor. I feel that the issues we had, should be resolved in the very near future. With that said, overall, we had a very nice time on Quest, and I would book Azamara again. Depending on my schedule, we may sail on Quest again in March '08, but it all depends on if the date works for the rest of my Family.

While I was not on Journey's first sailing, I am seeing comments proclaiming the Quest sailings to be as bad as Journey's first sailings. From what I recall reading about Journey first sailings, and from my firsthand experiences on Quest, I feel that things were probably far better on Quest, than what happened on Journey's innaugural sailings.

I always say, a day on a Cruise, is better than a day at work ! My advice ? I would take both the negative and the positive comments with a grain of salt, make your OWN judgements, go on your Cruise, and enjoy.

I sincerely hope you will have a great Cruise on Quest.

You are something else! How so you get the time to post so much. I see you everywhere!!!!:)

You are absolutely correct. "A day on any cuise is better than a day at work".

With your thoughts in mind I'll look forward to a wonderful experience. Also CC forums and boards have brought me much closer to many folks going on the same cruise as well as many others who have become involved in hoping for the sucess of Azamara. I am looking forward to being with OUR group on the 12ths sailing.

As I've posted previously, I hope I can provide a daily update to either this thread or a new one I will start. Did you have any luck with Wifi in the various ports you visited?

Again, Thank you Andy for your kinds words and eternal optimism!!!

Peter

I realize this isn't the same cruise as OP is reporting on, but as I said when looking for bad you can find it, and I'm not saying it isn't there, but YOU found much that was good also which shows that how you approach anything colors your opinions about it. In an Email to another poster, I mentioned that on our vacations the times when things weren't perfect, and we needed to "Make lemonade" when handed lemons..turned out sometimes to be the ones we remember BEST not only most, as often something just "happens" to make it special, meet some people you wouldn't have otherwise and enjoyed etc. As stated before any day cruising is a good day (unless the boat sinks I suppose??) I accept there seems to be problems with Quest and they need to be addressed,but I'm not too worried that I'll be very disappointed on our trip, and WE take at best, one cruise every 2 yrs or so, and that stretches our budget(as we still like the Deluxe lines). Perhaps thats why we see things from a different perspective, and each trip is judged in and of itself and enjoyed, for whatever it brings! (Geeze now I sound like Pollyanna):D

Unlike Andy, we had NO trouble with the internet working on the 10/26 cruise. We did not attempt to use it for the 10/24 cruise because our telephone worked. We used our own laptop logged into Celebrity wireless from our cabin (8059). We did not have to open our door. I usually used it at our desk. I felt the speed was as good as I get at home. The cost was comparative to other cruise lines.

I am envious of all of you who can actually take a vacation and leave all of your extra "baggage" at home. Unfortunately, we are not one of you. We have numerous people back home who rely on us. We have 6 children including an 11 year old child with cerebral palsy. We have 3 senior citizens we are solely responsible for including an 80 year old aunt with alzheimer's. In case of emergency, we have to stay in contact with home. So, having internet access while aboard a cruise ship is very important to us. A daily check in to hear that everything is fine makes it possible for us to enjoy our vacations worry free.

We will not be sailing with Azamara (or Celebrity) in the near future but may try them again in a couple of years. By then, they should have all of the kinks worked out. We are going to try Oceania next time.

Unlike Andy, we had NO trouble with the internet working on the 10/26 cruise. We did not attempt to use it for the 10/24 cruise because our telephone worked. We used our own laptop logged into Celebrity wireless from our cabin (8059). We did not have to open our door. I usually used it at our desk. I felt the speed was as good as I get at home. The cost was comparative to other cruise lines.

Hi Hot Root !

Apparantly, you had better luck with the internet than I did. Perhaps it was due to you being directly below the E-Connections area on Deck 9. I suppose you were able to get a better signal than I did. For those of you who know wireless, it is amazing how some areas can be great, and it can be worthless 5 feet away. One of these days, I am sure this technology will be perfected :)

The thing that frustrated me the most, was the constant visits to the Internet cafe, and coming up empty. When I was there, it either did not work, or when it did, each page took forever to load. I visited there many times, and it was just about worthless. I wonder if the OP is having the same problems now.

Oh well..... I hope they will improve the internet service onboard Quest.

Hi there - We are in Cabin 8042 on Journey, docked astern of Quest today in Santa Marta Colombia. We will be shadowing each other on the way to Cartagena tonight, per Capn Carl.

I understand your carpets are a different color than ours, otherwise not much difference. Some folks took advantage of the opportunity to visit each other's ship today, except for lunch hours, when chaos might have brokken out if all wound up on one ship!!

There is supposed to be a chopper-run promo photo shoot later today.

Cheers, Neighbors!

Cabo

Hi there - We are in Cabin 8042 on Journey, docked astern of Quest today in Santa Marta Colombia. We will be shadowing each other on the way to Cartagena tonight, per Capn Carl.

I understand your carpets are a different color than ours, otherwise not much difference. Some folks took advantage of the opportunity to visit each other's ship today, except for lunch hours, when chaos might have brokken out if all wound up on one ship!!

There is supposed to be a chopper-run promo photo shoot later today.

Cheers, Neighbors!

Cabo

bet it's cool to look at your twin (ship). Looks like your internet works well as well. Nice post! Peter

Ok, number 1...no one cancel a damn cruise because of these posts. Things are fine, all breathe and calm down!

2. We are travel professionals with a keen eye and paid full fare for this vacation but always a busman's holiday.

Here is the second installment. Things really are getting better but there are service issues which you know they are working on.

We are having a WONDERFUL time.....

Afternoon (Grand Cayman):

Back now from our excursion. I did get a kiss - but more of that later. The tendering process was very swift and organized. They had arranged coffee, hot chocolate, tea, and danishes in the staging area (the theatre) and we no sooner were stickered with our group number than we were called and let onto the waiting tender.

While most of our fellow passengers had organized tours or at least determined activities that sounded adventurous (swimming with sting rays, scuba dives, etc.) Rog had picked out a couple of hotels to visit. A corral full of mini buses awaited and were eager to take us to town for $5 a person, or $7 to the Ritz-Carlton for us. The official currency, the Cayman Dollar is worth a bit more than the US Dollar (sound familiar?) but the latter was welcomed everywhere. We crowded into the front seat with the driver, and with the air conditioning, and bounced our way to town, and beyond, to the R-C. There we were met by the sales manager and given a tour of the rooms (with bathrooms the size of our Stateroom) and facilities, including an award-winning kids area, designed by environmental scientists and dedicated to making environmental learning fun. The hotel spans the highway, and walking across (though a wide and bright overpass that is a gallery highlighting art from the Island’s children) you quickly reach the beach side, the famous white-sand Seven Mile Beach. Everything designed to delight and cosset you for weeks at a time without ever having to visit the Island itself.

The sales manager hailed a staff member to drive us down the road to the second hotel: suffice to say, it was no Ritz-Carlton.

Back to town by cab just in time to add a Movado to our growing collection of prestige watches, thereby doubling it. Another mini-bus back to the dock area, and we find Azamara has a refreshment stand on the pier offering complimentary water and cold towels. The Silver Shadow in dock was just pulling away, or we might have been able to snag some of their champagne while we waited for our tender.

Actually, no waiting. Tender was ready, filled, and quickly dispatched. By a rare coincidence, our sister ship, the Azamara Journey¸ will be in the same port as us in a couple of days, and we stop by the Shore Excursions desk to get a pass for a visit. They are supposed to be identical, but it will be a great opportunity to see them both.

Back in our stateroom, we find that the shampoo has still not been replaced, and he calls Butler, as he is delivering the daily hors d’ourves (sp?)(identical to yesterday’s tidbits). Butler is mortified - races out to bring two bottles back to us, and tells us he is unable to get any shaving cream, as it is only available to guests with lost luggage, but that some is available for sale in the gift shop. “No, wait!” he insists. “I have some for you. I don’t need it. You can have it. Only 10 days. Please. I don’t want you to have to buy it.” He cannot be easily dissuaded, but eventually we assure him it is all right - we can afford it. Please!

By the way, the television is not working. No signal.

Almost immediately, Rodney reappears with the television repairman, who makes some adjustments and it is back on track again. In the meantime we have found that the two bottles Rodney raced to supply were bath gel, not shampoo. Bath gel, incidentally, was not among the original amenities in the room. Must be just for those with lost luggage. Bless him, though, he is trying so very hard to please. And actually, we are pleased.

We slip away to the Friends Meeting (sounds sorta like Quakers, doesn’t it), where we notice that previous complaints about short pours of wine have been heeded and corrected. And then to dinner, this time again on the outside deck at Breezes again. Sushi, pasta, both excellent. The line for stir fry is still too long to face. Want another suggestion, Azamara? You have a cook behind the pasta bar, another behind the stir fry area. Both cooks have two heating elements. But only, apparently, one skillet. As a result, they take one order, and spend five minutes watching it cook. Give them each a second skillet and the line will move exactly twice as fast!

New discovery on the pastry bar tonight: some sort of chocolate muffin thing that tasted like flourless cake, all warm and soft in the middle, with hot chocolate sauce and whipped cream! Nice!

Another spin around the ship, a chance to enjoy some of the best things about the Quest. Chief among them is the space; it never seems crowded. Elevators come when called and are more frequently empty than occupied when they arrive. Quiet and cozy corners in every area. Gentle music around the pool area in the evening, a harpist playing and singing in another area, a pianist over there, but between - the blissful sounds of silence as our ship glides toward Colombia. And everywhere, smiling staff members quietly attending our needs. It really is a sort of paradise.

Tonight we take in our first stage show. The intimate theatre with its thrust stage is ideal for up close and personal acts, rather than the showy costume and set extravaganzas. This evening is the ubiquitous Salute to Hollywood Musicals, 45 minutes of nostalgia presented by five very talented singers and a six-piece “orchestra” with no more props than five chairs and a fedora. The easy pace, the effortlessly good performances, all compliment the whole experience aboard Azamara. Well done, kids!

Our room is made up, so very comfortably. There is a chocolate-dipped strawberry on each side table. The television is in sync. Our nightly hot chocolate (extra strong) and cookie have been ordered. Neptune is in his heaven.

Nov 3 - At Sea

Can’t blame Azamara for the mess up this morning. When we called to find out what had happened to our breakfast, we were told that as we had not specified a time for delivery, they were going to wait till 9:00 AM to awaken us with a call. They did have our order, and it was delivered within 20 minutes.

This time I had given up entirely on the waffle/pancake/French toast selections that I usually prefer, and went, instead, for something I’d never had in my life: Steak ’n Eggs. Only, without the eggs, please. When our breakfast arrived, there were indeed a pair of eggs running all over the plate, but the hash brown potatoes made a nice dam and the steak was excellent, much better than the one they serve at dinner! I plan on ordering steak every morning now, and perhaps a Belgian Waffle for dinner.

When we turned on our TV (the sound is out of sync again) we found on the welcome screen that a message is waiting for us. Why, how thoughtful, we thought, that they thought to send us a note because we forgot to specify the time for our breakfast! Oh, wait, no, it’s an advertisement for a discount at the Spa. Spa-Spam e-mail even at sea!

It’s a lazy day, and we found lounge chairs by the pool for most of it. The gentle Muzak until noon is really quite restful, and we made an amazing discovery that perhaps is the reason this ship seems so serene: absolutely no children! Coincidence, perhaps, as it certainly isn’t policy, but a delightful happenstance however it occurred. In fact, looking about the ship, I’ve not found a video arcade or a baby sitting / crafts area. Azamara is not against kids, they just don’t invite them wholeheartedly, and this I applaud. Wholeheartedly.

The band picked up shortly after noon and, while quite talented, did indeed shatter the quiet somewhat, providing an excuse to enjoy another area of the ship, the forward bow area of the spa, where you’ll find another whirlpool tub, and a beautiful lounge area with handsome rattan furnishings and thick, comfy pads. And silence. Ahhhh.

Afternoon Tea is served at 3:30 and, having been nearly forced into starvation after the breakfast steak and only a simple cheeseburger from the poolside bar (one of the best I’ve ever eaten!), we are first in line for that. Today it is served in the Aqualina specialty restaurant.

Can we skip this part and simply say, the waiters need a 20-minute training session? These poor guys thrust into this service without apparent training. And the maitre’d needs his ass kicked? Details? Okay, here they are: The setting is truly magnificent, the china is beautiful, the trolleys of sandwiches and cakes are brimming and ready - what could go wrong? For starters, the tea selection is presented from a box of tea bags all akimbo; it was impossible to see what variety was available without picking through them all. We grabbed an Earl Grey, and English Breakfast. Two pots of water were presented, in beautiful matching china, but no milk. Now, since Americans sometimes don’t have milk with their tea, perhaps Azamarans don’t either. But the Brits do, and we are part Brit. No one had milk on their tables, and none was readily available. Eventually, a small pitcher from a different crockery (not even china) pattern appeared, obviously the first time such an extraordinary request had ever been heard. Come on! Afternoon Tea service is a skill but milk and sugar needs to be on the table!

A waiter appears with the sweets trolley, and we suggest that perhaps we would like to start with the sandwiches. Eventually, they appear, and we select two from the three choices available. The sweets trolley comes back and we ask for two scones with jam and cream. The waiter, brandishing a fork and spoon in what was obviously his first attempt at one-handed French service, tries vainly to capture, then open, each scone and then put a dollop of jam and whipped cream on each and close them back up like little sandwiches and promptly plops the plate in front of me. Oh my goodness! Seeing this tea heresy being committed on one serving, another waiter scurries over and prepares the second serving properly, but only with one scone. After prompting however, he adds a second. A little more prompting and he doubles my dollop of jam on the side as well.

These downed, and the one and a half cups of tea brewed in our pots consumed long ago, we await the reprise of the sweets tray for the real goodies. The maitre’d asks if everything is all right and we say we’re just waiting for the sweets tray, please. We wait a bit longer and the maitre’d returns and tries to take our plates away. He does get his hand out of the way before my fork impales it, as we remind him, that we are still waiting for the sweet tray. He looks at the jam smear on my plate, and at the line of people waiting to be seated, and clearly says without actually saying it out loud: “Haven’t you had enough?”

It appears shortly, and we order an opera and a tartlet each. It was the same waiter struggling with fork and spoon service and watching the almost-got-it, then lost-it-again mangling of that opera was a crap shoot of where it was going to end up: on the floor or on the plate. Either way, it wasn’t going to be pretty. By now the waiter gives up with the goo that was once a beautiful creation now smeared all over his fork, spoon and the dish it came on, and pushes the trolley away to discreetly reset his fork and spoon, and address another piece. Eventually, all four pieces were served on our two plates and we were thankful. Thankful, especially, that tea is not served by waiters in white gloves, and a similar lack of dexterity.

Now, a wander though the library and a settle quietly with a few tempting titles, until the Bridge Brigade arrive and library becomes a games room in less time than it takes to decide on adversary team assignments. Books under arm, we retreat to the cabin.

The Friends of Dorothy have decided to meet at 7:00 p.m. for a quick drink and then dinner at 8:00. We share stories and experiences, among which is the Saga of the Rose: each of the four couples has a different version, only one of which included the unsolicited requested of the dying bud. Our bud and vase have been moved by our cabin attendant from the principal shelf in our bathroom, to a secondary shelf to wither in solitude and obscurity. Another story is that of the bagel and cream cheese. For two days, one couple who enjoy this breakfast treat on the buffet line, have been spooning the syrupy cream cheese onto their bagels, wondering if this is the New Way and afraid to ask. Today, they are delighted to see, nice firm cream cheese on the line. It appears that some underling felt that the blocks of cream cheese he was opening needed to be mixed with water so that they could be more conveniently poured onto the awaiting bagel. We laughed and agreed that if we were suddenly thrust into an Indian kitchen, we wouldn’t have the faintest idea how each menu item should look or taste, either. It’s all a matter of time and experience and they are slowly getting it right. The Chef, we discover, is 23 years old, and probably an excellent cook, but we do wonder that if he has in his youth developed the necessary skills to train a corps of cooks in his image in such short order.

By the time we’re at dinner, we’re all unjustifiably picky, looking for every little inconsistency that would normally go unnoticed or at least unmentioned in a more polite company. Four of us did not have side plates, for example. Each place had a random setting of flatware. The daily menu was dated, last month (10/21/2007). The not-quite-empty bread basket was removed, but not replaced. But tonight, I not only got my iced tea when requested, it was even quietly replaced when empty. I ordered crab cake (good) and lemon chicken (quite good) but the dessert with the undecipherable name that included Lemon Finacier and Strawberry Rhubarb Nage and something else, was something else. Frozen (now thawed and chewy) strawberries swimming in something red with a tough little shortcake muffin under some icy sorbet. Skip that one, eh? And the steak next to me looked even worse than the one I had had two days previously.

But the dining room is still one of the most beautiful afloat, and our waiters this evening were particularly attentive and personable. And when it comes to whether you want a pleasant waiter or a proper place setting, we’ll go with the former every time.

Showtime! Everywhere we went today, we were told not to miss tonight’s extra extra special entertainer, Scott Record. We went, the place was packed, yet our view was good, and, you know what, if Scott Record is on your ship, go see him. Very talented singer-impressionist.

Too full for our nightly hot chocolate, we filled out our breakfast request, with time of delivery, and went to bed. A very full day, for one so lazy. A very nice day indeed.

Nov 4. Santa Marta, Columbia

More to come...and the visit to the Journey prompted howls of laughter....

Hi Cruisers !

Thanks for the update. Did you happen to see the Singers in the Main Lounge yet ? It is a group of 3 ladies and 2 men, and they are wonderful. They did a show called Sing it & Swing it, that is not to be missed. The other 2 shows they performed, were great too !

I totally agree with you, that the complainers should calm down, and future passengers should not consider canceling their bookings. I feel most of the complaints are a whole lot of nit-picking.

I look forward to your updates. Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi Cruisers1975!

Thanks so much for this balanced and very entertaining live update from the Quest.

I am sailing on 11/24 and am very excited about the trip. I am not ignoring that Azamara still needs to correct some things from the various posts I have read about the 1st couple of sailings. I am choosing to arrive with a positive attitude and sense of humor in anticipation of a great vacation!

Keep up the great posts - Carol

Ok, number 1...no one cancel a damn cruise because of these posts. Things are fine, all breathe and calm down!

2. We are travel professionals with a keen eye and paid full fare for this vacation but always a busman's holiday.

Here is the second installment. Things really are getting better but there are service issues which you know they are working on.

We are having a WONDERFUL time.....

Afternoon (Grand Cayman):

Back now from our excursion. I did get a kiss - but more of that later. The tendering process was very swift and organized. They had arranged coffee, hot chocolate, tea, and danishes in the staging area (the theatre) and we no sooner were stickered with our group number than we were called and let onto the waiting tender.

While most of our fellow passengers had organized tours or at least determined activities that sounded adventurous (swimming with sting rays, scuba dives, etc.) Rog had picked out a couple of hotels to visit. A corral full of mini buses awaited and were eager to take us to town for $5 a person, or $7 to the Ritz-Carlton for us. The official currency, the Cayman Dollar is worth a bit more than the US Dollar (sound familiar?) but the latter was welcomed everywhere. We crowded into the front seat with the driver, and with the air conditioning, and bounced our way to town, and beyond, to the R-C. There we were met by the sales manager and given a tour of the rooms (with bathrooms the size of our Stateroom) and facilities, including an award-winning kids area, designed by environmental scientists and dedicated to making environmental learning fun. The hotel spans the highway, and walking across (though a wide and bright overpass that is a gallery highlighting art from the Island’s children) you quickly reach the beach side, the famous white-sand Seven Mile Beach. Everything designed to delight and cosset you for weeks at a time without ever having to visit the Island itself.

The sales manager hailed a staff member to drive us down the road to the second hotel: suffice to say, it was no Ritz-Carlton.

Back to town by cab just in time to add a Movado to our growing collection of prestige watches, thereby doubling it. Another mini-bus back to the dock area, and we find Azamara has a refreshment stand on the pier offering complimentary water and cold towels. The Silver Shadow in dock was just pulling away, or we might have been able to snag some of their champagne while we waited for our tender.

Actually, no waiting. Tender was ready, filled, and quickly dispatched. By a rare coincidence, our sister ship, the Azamara Journey¸ will be in the same port as us in a couple of days, and we stop by the Shore Excursions desk to get a pass for a visit. They are supposed to be identical, but it will be a great opportunity to see them both.

Back in our stateroom, we find that the shampoo has still not been replaced, and he calls Butler, as he is delivering the daily hors d’ourves (sp?)(identical to yesterday’s tidbits). Butler is mortified - races out to bring two bottles back to us, and tells us he is unable to get any shaving cream, as it is only available to guests with lost luggage, but that some is available for sale in the gift shop. “No, wait!” he insists. “I have some for you. I don’t need it. You can have it. Only 10 days. Please. I don’t want you to have to buy it.” He cannot be easily dissuaded, but eventually we assure him it is all right - we can afford it. Please!

By the way, the television is not working. No signal.

Almost immediately, Rodney reappears with the television repairman, who makes some adjustments and it is back on track again. In the meantime we have found that the two bottles Rodney raced to supply were bath gel, not shampoo. Bath gel, incidentally, was not among the original amenities in the room. Must be just for those with lost luggage. Bless him, though, he is trying so very hard to please. And actually, we are pleased.

We slip away to the Friends Meeting (sounds sorta like Quakers, doesn’t it), where we notice that previous complaints about short pours of wine have been heeded and corrected. And then to dinner, this time again on the outside deck at Breezes again. Sushi, pasta, both excellent. The line for stir fry is still too long to face. Want another suggestion, Azamara? You have a cook behind the pasta bar, another behind the stir fry area. Both cooks have two heating elements. But only, apparently, one skillet. As a result, they take one order, and spend five minutes watching it cook. Give them each a second skillet and the line will move exactly twice as fast!

New discovery on the pastry bar tonight: some sort of chocolate muffin thing that tasted like flourless cake, all warm and soft in the middle, with hot chocolate sauce and whipped cream! Nice!

Another spin around the ship, a chance to enjoy some of the best things about the Quest. Chief among them is the space; it never seems crowded. Elevators come when called and are more frequently empty than occupied when they arrive. Quiet and cozy corners in every area. Gentle music around the pool area in the evening, a harpist playing and singing in another area, a pianist over there, but between - the blissful sounds of silence as our ship glides toward Colombia. And everywhere, smiling staff members quietly attending our needs. It really is a sort of paradise.

Tonight we take in our first stage show. The intimate theatre with its thrust stage is ideal for up close and personal acts, rather than the showy costume and set extravaganzas. This evening is the ubiquitous Salute to Hollywood Musicals, 45 minutes of nostalgia presented by five very talented singers and a six-piece “orchestra” with no more props than five chairs and a fedora. The easy pace, the effortlessly good performances, all compliment the whole experience aboard Azamara. Well done, kids!

Our room is made up, so very comfortably. There is a chocolate-dipped strawberry on each side table. The television is in sync. Our nightly hot chocolate (extra strong) and cookie have been ordered. Neptune is in his heaven.

Nov 3 - At Sea

Can’t blame Azamara for the mess up this morning. When we called to find out what had happened to our breakfast, we were told that as we had not specified a time for delivery, they were going to wait till 9:00 AM to awaken us with a call. They did have our order, and it was delivered within 20 minutes.

This time I had given up entirely on the waffle/pancake/French toast selections that I usually prefer, and went, instead, for something I’d never had in my life: Steak ’n Eggs. Only, without the eggs, please. When our breakfast arrived, there were indeed a pair of eggs running all over the plate, but the hash brown potatoes made a nice dam and the steak was excellent, much better than the one they serve at dinner! I plan on ordering steak every morning now, and perhaps a Belgian Waffle for dinner.

When we turned on our TV (the sound is out of sync again) we found on the welcome screen that a message is waiting for us. Why, how thoughtful, we thought, that they thought to send us a note because we forgot to specify the time for our breakfast! Oh, wait, no, it’s an advertisement for a discount at the Spa. Spa-Spam e-mail even at sea!

It’s a lazy day, and we found lounge chairs by the pool for most of it. The gentle Muzak until noon is really quite restful, and we made an amazing discovery that perhaps is the reason this ship seems so serene: absolutely no children! Coincidence, perhaps, as it certainly isn’t policy, but a delightful happenstance however it occurred. In fact, looking about the ship, I’ve not found a video arcade or a baby sitting / crafts area. Azamara is not against kids, they just don’t invite them wholeheartedly, and this I applaud. Wholeheartedly.

The band picked up shortly after noon and, while quite talented, did indeed shatter the quiet somewhat, providing an excuse to enjoy another area of the ship, the forward bow area of the spa, where you’ll find another whirlpool tub, and a beautiful lounge area with handsome rattan furnishings and thick, comfy pads. And silence. Ahhhh.

Afternoon Tea is served at 3:30 and, having been nearly forced into starvation after the breakfast steak and only a simple cheeseburger from the poolside bar (one of the best I’ve ever eaten!), we are first in line for that. Today it is served in the Aqualina specialty restaurant.

Can we skip this part and simply say, the waiters need a 20-minute training session? These poor guys thrust into this service without apparent training. And the maitre’d needs his ass kicked? Details? Okay, here they are: The setting is truly magnificent, the china is beautiful, the trolleys of sandwiches and cakes are brimming and ready - what could go wrong? For starters, the tea selection is presented from a box of tea bags all akimbo; it was impossible to see what variety was available without picking through them all. We grabbed an Earl Grey, and English Breakfast. Two pots of water were presented, in beautiful matching china, but no milk. Now, since Americans sometimes don’t have milk with their tea, perhaps Azamarans don’t either. But the Brits do, and we are part Brit. No one had milk on their tables, and none was readily available. Eventually, a small pitcher from a different crockery (not even china) pattern appeared, obviously the first time such an extraordinary request had ever been heard. Come on! Afternoon Tea service is a skill but milk and sugar needs to be on the table!

A waiter appears with the sweets trolley, and we suggest that perhaps we would like to start with the sandwiches. Eventually, they appear, and we select two from the three choices available. The sweets trolley comes back and we ask for two scones with jam and cream. The waiter, brandishing a fork and spoon in what was obviously his first attempt at one-handed French service, tries vainly to capture, then open, each scone and then put a dollop of jam and whipped cream on each and close them back up like little sandwiches and promptly plops the plate in front of me. Oh my goodness! Seeing this tea heresy being committed on one serving, another waiter scurries over and prepares the second serving properly, but only with one scone. After prompting however, he adds a second. A little more prompting and he doubles my dollop of jam on the side as well.

These downed, and the one and a half cups of tea brewed in our pots consumed long ago, we await the reprise of the sweets tray for the real goodies. The maitre’d asks if everything is all right and we say we’re just waiting for the sweets tray, please. We wait a bit longer and the maitre’d returns and tries to take our plates away. He does get his hand out of the way before my fork impales it, as we remind him, that we are still waiting for the sweet tray. He looks at the jam smear on my plate, and at the line of people waiting to be seated, and clearly says without actually saying it out loud: “Haven’t you had enough?”

It appears shortly, and we order an opera and a tartlet each. It was the same waiter struggling with fork and spoon service and watching the almost-got-it, then lost-it-again mangling of that opera was a crap shoot of where it was going to end up: on the floor or on the plate. Either way, it wasn’t going to be pretty. By now the waiter gives up with the goo that was once a beautiful creation now smeared all over his fork, spoon and the dish it came on, and pushes the trolley away to discreetly reset his fork and spoon, and address another piece. Eventually, all four pieces were served on our two plates and we were thankful. Thankful, especially, that tea is not served by waiters in white gloves, and a similar lack of dexterity.

Now, a wander though the library and a settle quietly with a few tempting titles, until the Bridge Brigade arrive and library becomes a games room in less time than it takes to decide on adversary team assignments. Books under arm, we retreat to the cabin.

The Friends of Dorothy have decided to meet at 7:00 p.m. for a quick drink and then dinner at 8:00. We share stories and experiences, among which is the Saga of the Rose: each of the four couples has a different version, only one of which included the unsolicited requested of the dying bud. Our bud and vase have been moved by our cabin attendant from the principal shelf in our bathroom, to a secondary shelf to wither in solitude and obscurity. Another story is that of the bagel and cream cheese. For two days, one couple who enjoy this breakfast treat on the buffet line, have been spooning the syrupy cream cheese onto their bagels, wondering if this is the New Way and afraid to ask. Today, they are delighted to see, nice firm cream cheese on the line. It appears that some underling felt that the blocks of cream cheese he was opening needed to be mixed with water so that they could be more conveniently poured onto the awaiting bagel. We laughed and agreed that if we were suddenly thrust into an Indian kitchen, we wouldn’t have the faintest idea how each menu item should look or taste, either. It’s all a matter of time and experience and they are slowly getting it right. The Chef, we discover, is 23 years old, and probably an excellent cook, but we do wonder that if he has in his youth developed the necessary skills to train a corps of cooks in his image in such short order.

By the time we’re at dinner, we’re all unjustifiably picky, looking for every little inconsistency that would normally go unnoticed or at least unmentioned in a more polite company. Four of us did not have side plates, for example. Each place had a random setting of flatware. The daily menu was dated, last month (10/21/2007). The not-quite-empty bread basket was removed, but not replaced. But tonight, I not only got my iced tea when requested, it was even quietly replaced when empty. I ordered crab cake (good) and lemon chicken (quite good) but the dessert with the undecipherable name that included Lemon Finacier and Strawberry Rhubarb Nage and something else, was something else. Frozen (now thawed and chewy) strawberries swimming in something red with a tough little shortcake muffin under some icy sorbet. Skip that one, eh? And the steak next to me looked even worse than the one I had had two days previously.

But the dining room is still one of the most beautiful afloat, and our waiters this evening were particularly attentive and personable. And when it comes to whether you want a pleasant waiter or a proper place setting, we’ll go with the former every time.

Showtime! Everywhere we went today, we were told not to miss tonight’s extra extra special entertainer, Scott Record. We went, the place was packed, yet our view was good, and, you know what, if Scott Record is on your ship, go see him. Very talented singer-impressionist.

Too full for our nightly hot chocolate, we filled out our breakfast request, with time of delivery, and went to bed. A very full day, for one so lazy. A very nice day indeed.

Nov 4. Santa Marta, Columbia

More to come...and the visit to the Journey prompted howls of laughter....

Wonderful things are working out for the better. Only a week for us and we are all getting excited. Thanks for the details! Peter:cool:

Wonderful things are working out for the better. Only a week for us and we are all getting excited. Thanks for the details! Peter:cool:

Now aren't you glad you didn't cancel? And I apologize to the OP, seems he can find a LOT of nice things to say among the imperfect...and "make lemonade" when one needs to.Would have been a duller report if all had gone perfectly wouldn't it?? I indeed found myself laughing outright at a tea party that must have rivaled the Mad Hatters! (Just a note...please think before you "quote" such a LOOONG post maybe, sure takes a lot of time passing by what we've just read, again???)

And here in the good ole US of A, doubt there have been more than 1% to a true afternoon tea, so we'll never know the difference. My daughter loves them, but on Nautica last year,( and Oceania's are said to be VERY nice),it was said NOT to be a true Afternoon tea (Us "Mericans" are fixated on desserts,So they are the most important, guess they need those butlers to serve for Tea) Thanks for an very interesting Log of your day aboard Quest.:D

Archived