Refrigerator on Freedom

zaxmomm

I travel with medication that needs to be refrigerated. For those that have been on the Freedom of the Seas, can you tell me if the refrigerators in the staterooms are actually cold (we'll be in a regular balcony stateroom, not a suite)? I read a review that said they were more like coolers than refrigerators. Also, is there room in them to add something about the size of a couple decks of cards? Or would we need to have some items removed. Thanks.

Hiya,

I can't answer your question about how cold the fridges are, as I'm not on the Freedom until next week (11/11/07) though I can check for you then if you still haven't had a reply.

I've read elsewhere on the boards that you can request your room attendant to empty the fridge of anything that's in there without having to pay for it.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Liz xx

They are not as cold as a true refrigerator. But they are still cold enough to drink a bottled water right out of the fridge. I always ask my room attendant to remove everything so I don't get charged for it. There is enough room to add small items to the fridge without removing anything.

My husband kept his insulin and some e-po in the refrigerator...therefore it was cold enough...medicine is put into the refrigerator cold. However drinks that are room temperature take a long time to be brought down to a cold temperature...I think that seems to be the problem. But once the product is cold...the refrigerator will keep it cold.

The chiller "fridge" in our GS kept anything in it very cold, including drinks placed in it that hat to be chilled down from room temperature. The "fridge" in our JS looked identical, but it didn’t cool as well. Even the drinks that had been in there for several days were just slightly cooler than room temp. I saw no accessible temp adjustments, which makes me think that there could be a wide variety of cooling abilities among these units, either due to some hidden setting or simply their design. My advice would be to alert RCI that you need a fridge for medical reasons and go from there. The fridge you have may be cool enough, but if not, maybe they can adjust it or replace it with a “real’ fridge.

Since your need is to keep medication cold, call up Royal Caribbean's Access Desk (special needs department) and request a real fridge to be put in your room for your medication.

I totally agree! I wouldn't trust those fridges to keep meds as cold as they need to be.

It's a shot, but thankfully I only do it once/week, usually on Mondays. I had planned to just do it early and then wait until I got home for the next. But thought that if the frig was good, I'd stick to my normal schedule. I think I'll go ahead and take the medicine onboard with me and if the frig is good, wait until Monday. And if not, I'll just do it on Sunday. Waiting one extra day for my next shot won't kill me. Thanks everyone for you help.

My BIL had just starting taking insulin before our FOS cruise and he had a type of insulin hat he needed a freezer pack to keep it cold when we went off the ship as he had to do shots several times a day.

The fridge was not cold enough to keep the freezer pack cold. He alternated taking two packs to the medical center and then was finally told that our room steward could freeze them and bring them each morning. That worked out okay with him. So if you needed anything stored, I'm sure the doctor would put it in his fridge or freezer for you if need be.

The fridge was okay and kept drinks cool, but not freezing cold.

And you will have to ask to have the mini-bar set up taken out of the fridge if you plan onstoring anything in the fridge, as all the drinks and candy they leave in it takes up the whole fridge.

Archived