PG snorkeling excursions

UmaS

We rented a car in Morrea...they are available right at the dock and it was only $80.00 U.S. for both days including tax. There are many places to snorkel and as you drive around the island you can just pull over and snorkel anywhere. It is very safe in Tahiti and islands are protected by reefs.

We did the Sea Doos in Bora Bora...fantastic rode behind my husband the whole way around the island. Stopped at a small motu and had fresh friuit and coconut. Stopped in the middle of the bay and you could get out and stand up. I believe there must be somekind of canal for the ship to manouvre around in.

You will go on two private islands where you can snorkel. Not as good as Morrea and Bora Bora...but still fun.

This is a trip of a lifetime and you will love every moment of it. No matter how excited you will get before the trip, it will more than meet your expectations.

Enjoy.

UmaS,

See my reply on the thread titled "Countdown Sept. 18 PG..." regarding the snorkeling excursions we did during our 2 weeks (8/21-9/4/04) on the PG. If you have experience with snorkeling you won't need to do the Lagoonarium, but if someone in your group is having trouble getting the hang of it for their first time it is the perfect place to get comfortable. There was a family on board that had one member who had difficulty prior to the Lagoonarium, then he did absolutely great.

Kathy Z -- Thanks for the info. My husband was a swimmer in high school. I'm not quite as comfortable in deep water; sounds like Lagoonarium on Bora Bora will be fine for me, and he is ok with it. Also sounds like he'll enjoy the Lagoon Discovery with Snorkeling in Moorea. We're also signed up for Waverunners in BB and Dr. Poole's excursion in Moorea. Would you still recommend his trip, even though you weren't able to see any dolphins or whales? Sounds like you had a great time. We're looking forward to our Oct. 16 trip.

Uma,

If we were to do Dr. Poole's trip again I would take my good digital camera along with a Zip-Lock bag or two to protect it between shots so that I could at least take pictures of the land from the water. We did end up with great views of 85% of the coastline of Moorea from the boat. (Sit on the left side of the boat for this, he will not let you change sides during the trip.) His boat cannot travel completely around Moorea because there is no lagoon by the airport. When we had reached the 10th of the 12 passes looking for the animals Dr. Ploole phoned for a bus to meet us at the dock at the final pass. The bus drove us back to the dock at Cook's bay for our tender back to the ship.

Personally, I would not sign up for the afternoon trip again; but if it filled up and they opened a second trip on morning number 2 in Moorea I might try to get on it.

Thanks, Kathy Z, for the input about Dr. Poole's trip. I had been a little ambivalent about signing up for it in the first place. If we wind up going, will

try to sit on the left side as you suggest.

I'd like to recommend the Shark and Ray feeding excursion in Bora Bora for good snorkeling. We've spent three weeks in the past three years on the pG, and took this excursion twice. We got to see the rays and the sharks (very small!) AND experience great snorkeling. We found the water to be about waist to chest deep, so no problem for poor swimmers (like us). The only problem you might encounter on any of the snorkel excursions on the PG would be currents. They won't pull you out to sea or anything like that. But you may be pushed into the coral and get a few scrapes. Problems with currents seem to be cylical in French Polynesia, so you could check with the tour desk before booking to get a pretty good idea if this would be a problem.

We didn't take Dr. Poole's excursion, for the reason that it is over three hours long, and there are no restroom facilities available without embarrasment!

Hope this helps,

Richard

Thanks, Richard, I've been going back and forth about the shark and ray

feeding excursion versus the Lagoonarium; figured my husband would have a better time on the former. He's still a bit wary of the sharks, though.

Will have to get him to read these boards. The no bathroom facilities on Dr.

Poole's excursion is a concern for me, as well. We've already booked our

excursions online, but I was told by Radisson we could change them once we

get onboard, so long as we give a day or two notice.

Uma, yes - you only need to give 24 hours notice to cancel. Sometimes it is slightly longer than that. Each day you'll have the following days itinerary placed on your bed during dinner when they do turndown service. That will show the deadline for canceling excursions for the following day(s).

The Shark & Ray Feeding was my second favorite tour and I would definately do it again. Our sharks were larger than what Richard saw, but still not frightening. You do not feed the sharks - they stay out of reach - but they do swim fairly close. We loved it! (We had previously snorkeled among white tip reef sharks in Hawaii that were as long as 5 feet.)

Archived