Money money money

claroquesi

In my opinion, with 10.7 pesos to the dollar these days, and the fact that they often just round off to 10 pesos per dollar, you are better off in most cases paying with pesos. For example, if the price of something is 100 pesos, and you want to pay dollars, the vendor will probably say $10. But that is actually costing you then $10.70 In some establishments and restaurants, you may get a closer exchange rate. You get the best rate by using an ATM in Mexico, I hear, though your bank will charge you a fee of perhaps $4. Depending on how much you withdraw, that may or not be a good idea. Good idea to call your credit card and ATM bank before you go to let them know you are going to Mexico, so they wont suspect charges coming from out of the country. If you are planning on coming back to Mexico, I would take out as large amount as you can withdraw and keep the pesos for the next trip (plus you have pesos for taxi or bus when you first arrive). I try not to use credit cards as I am more fearful of identity theft these days, but all the touristy places take them. Ask first. Good luck and have fun!

The Peso is the currency and it's what I think you should use. The exchange rate of 10.7 to 10.8 is what the situation has been for several years now, without much variation. You can easily obtain Pesos from the many ATM machines you'll see in each of the ports. I always travel in Mexico with $100 or so in US$, but keep it locked away and not with me as I walk about the cities I'm visiting.

Credit cards are generally safe to use, though fewer places in Mexico will probably accept them than what you're accustomed to at home. I actively participate in several Mexico travel forums and in the past decade I think I've read of a report of credit card fraud maybe one or two times; it's not something commonly encountered by tourists judging by what I read and personally experience in Mexico.

The identification you should travel with is your passport and a driver's license from home and whatever travel/entry documentation you may be given onboard or by Mexican authorities. It's not commonplace for travelers to be asked for identification. However, if you enter certain government buildings, are returning to the ship, or seek some sort of bank transaction (cashing travelers cheques) you'll be asked to produce the ID.

Archived