Just off Oriana

loobylouuk

Cunard has all the same problems of P&O sorry to say. I have sailed with both. The problem is that crusing is now mass market lower priced allowing a certain type of person. Dare I say that crusing has become downmarket!!??

If you want old style crusing your best to try the Luxery cruise market seabourn or Silversea.

Cunard has all the same problems of P&O sorry to say.

I am not convinced that Cunard has or will suffer as much of a "downgrade" as P&O. QM2 has 4 "classes" although that only affects your dining facilities. My experience of Cunard is limited to Caronia, QE2 (Caronia) and QM2 (Britannia and crossings only), all of which compare favourably to P&O.

I do still cruise with P&O, but I cannot see myself on Ventura or the new behemoth to follow, although I have become fond of Arcadia as she has matured. I think it ulikely that there will be another Victoria, Oriana or Aurora and, that being the case, will possibly move to QV for cruising and stick with QM2 for crossing.

I believe that Carnival see P&O's competition as RCCL and Cunard's as Celebrity!

David

Well guys - you get what you pay for don't you!

We have certainly noticed a drop in standards since we started cruising but there has also been a drop in prices too.

I was on the same cruise as Brian (on the Oriana) and 5 days into the cruise there were 21 "closed cabins".

We tried not to touch the handrails on the ship and were extremely fastidious about hand cleansing. We even used the gel on the way out of the restaurant as well as in!

Do you think P&O bother cleaning the little plastic wallets which hold the cruise cards! I hope so!

The reception staff were not letting people lick their own stamps for postcards - they were taking them from us and glueing the stamps on!

One lady was furious and said that this was taking Health and Safety too far! I did not agree. I would rather they took every precaution necessary so that my holiday wasn't spoiled!

Caryl

Caryl

I am not convinced that Cunard has or will suffer as much of a "downgrade" as P&O. QM2 has 4 "classes" although that only affects your dining facilities. My experience of Cunard is limited to Caronia, QE2 (Caronia) and QM2 (Britannia and crossings only), all of which compare favourably to P&O.

I do still cruise with P&O, but I cannot see myself on Ventura or the new behemoth to follow, although I have become fond of Arcadia as she has matured. I think it ulikely that there will be another Victoria, Oriana or Aurora and, that being the case, will possibly move to QV for cruising and stick with QM2 for crossing.

I believe that Carnival see P&O's competition as RCCL and Cunard's as Celebrity!

David

Gentlemen all,

I quote the following from a website called 'Events at Sea' Which documents the outbreaks of the 'Virus' as You can see the lines I have shown are the "Up market ones"

I am afraid outbreaks have little to do with class so going down market as three of you maintain cannot be a factor. And Caryl yes you can pay a lot and be struck down.

If you look at the statistics for the past 5 years you will find that P&O come out quite well, whereas Holland America do not.

Please do not spout claptrap unless you are clear about the facts.

I find some of the attitudes on this thread downgrading to the thousands of people who cruise with P&O on a regular basis.

QE II

Cunard Line

The ship reported that 10 of 1002 (1.0%) crew and 136 of 1652 (8.23%) passengers had reported ill on the 8 - 22 January cruise from New York to Los Angeles. Symptons were consistent with gastrointestinal illness (e.g., norovirus). Update January 15: 22 of 1002 (2.2%) crew and 243 of 1652 (14.71%) passengers reported ill. Update January 22: 28 of 1022 (2.79%) crew and 276 of 1652 (16.71%) passengers reported ill.

Seven Seas Navigator

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

The ship reported that 22 of 456 (4.8%) passengers had become ill on a 12 day cruise from Fort Lauderdale and that included calls at Savannah (GA), Charleston (SC), and Bermuda (5 - 16 April). Symptons were consistent with gastrointestinal illness (e.g., norovirus)

Zenith

Celebrity Cruises

The ship reported that 11 of 613 (1.79%) crew and 89 of 1363 (6.53%) passengers had reported ill on a 12 day Eastern Caribbean cruise from Tampa (2 - 13 April).

You will note that with the QE2 out break they were on a leg of a world cruise. So why are there so many 'Dirty' people on a Cunard QE2 world cruise.

The link is

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/outbreaks2007.html

Dai Bryson

Dai,

I fail to see any relevance between my post as quoted and your comments on Norovirus. My comments are general and do not mention Norovirus, which I believe to be a problem to all lines. My comments focussed on the general lowering of standards and the associated effect on the P&O product.

David

Dai,

I fail to see any relevance between my post as quoted and your comments on Norovirus. My comments are general and do not mention Norovirus, which I believe to be a problem to all lines. My comments focussed on the general lowering of standards and the associated effect on the P&O product.

David

David,

I was annoyed by the implication that N/v had been brought on board by 'Dirty unclean people who had no right to be on a cruise ship' This was linked to the downgrading of the cruise experiance.

Clearly this is totally wrong as I have shown.

I would not say that since I have cruised the standards have dropped that much.

The price certainly has. But on P&O the instance of the N/v has not gone up.

Dai Bryson

David,

I was annoyed by the implication that N/v had been brought on board by 'Dirty unclean people who had no right to be on a cruise ship' This was linked to the downgrading of the cruise experiance.

Clearly this is totally wrong as I have shown.

I would not say that since I have cruised the standards have dropped that much.

The price certainly has. But on P&O the instance of the N/v has not gone up.

Dai Bryson

Dai,

Any connection was NOT made by me. (And for the record I agree that P&O's precautions are second to none in respect of NV.)

However, I stand by my opinion that standards, are definitely dropping. As to price; Perhaps it is worth paying a little more to have higher standards.

David

Archived