Presents for Greek teens?

Ships R Great

Hello. I am the mother of 2 Greek boys...close enough!

The teenagers here in Greece really like things associated with US sports (Yankees hats, Chicage Bulls T's, etc). They're VERY expensive here and it's something he's sure to appreciate. It's also easy and economical to post.

I know when our friends from Rome were over here in NYC, all of their friends kept text messaging them and asking them to go to the Apple Store and pick up different iPods for them. Apparently they are over double the price in Europe.

Not sure of your budget, but the shuffle is $79, and very small, lightweight and comes in a durable plastic box. And, since it charges via your computer port, you won't have a problem of it being wired for US electric!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=3587D033&node=home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_shuffle

I need advice on selecting a present for a teen-aged Greek boy I know from the ship. It needs to be smallish as postage and insurance to Greece are exhorbitant. Can anyone help me?

Well DVD may not work because of differences in format but CD's like HS Musical or some of the teen idols

Hello. I am the mother of 2 Greek boys...close enough!

The teenagers here in Greece really like things associated with US sports (Yankees hats, Chicage Bulls T's, etc). They're VERY expensive here and it's something he's sure to appreciate. It's also easy and economical to post.

Maybe you can help me with a question.

This summer we spend a glorious day on Santorini and while shopping we purchased a confection which can best be described as dry roasted peanuts, covered in honey and sesame seeds. I believe the shop also sold mixed nuts in the same type of package. Unfortunately the bag was written in Greek and was pitched before my daughters girlfriend could translate it. It is NOT I believe Pastelli which as I understand is a bar of nuts, honey and sesame.

Question - whatis this treat called and any idea where I can order eithr in Greece or USA

Thanks in advance

hello, HermanG. They are tasty, aren't they?! You are right, it's not pastelli, which is sesame and honey (no nuts). I can't recall off-hand what they're called right now; I'll take a look at the market tomorrow and let you know. We have different ones: with almonds, with peanuts, and mixed nuts.

-Seva (my name is Seva; the name of my village is Gennadi)

hello, HermanG. They are tasty, aren't they?! You are right, it's not pastelli, which is sesame and honey (no nuts). I can't recall off-hand what they're called right now; I'll take a look at the market tomorrow and let you know. We have different ones: with almonds, with peanuts, and mixed nuts.

-Seva (my name is Seva; the name of my village is Gennadi)

I bought the peanut one and almost bought the mixed nuts - THEY lasted less than a day after I opened them - sorry I didn't buy more and YES they are tasty

Seva, I have a candy question also. When my mother lived in Athens a friend of hers used to buy a candy that had a picture of the Mona Lisa on it. It was the best andy I have ever eaten but can find no info on it anywhere. Do you know it?

We can set her up in business exporting greek delights to the USA. I just love this forum - you get so much great info

Well, I'm back from the market. Our local store sells only packaged honey/sesame nuts, but in a "bar", but I know a small out of the way store that sells them by the kilo. They differ just a little bit. Do you remember which one you had?

The Mona Lisa candy we have (if it's the same) are individually wrapped chocolates with a nut center. They're fabulous!!

Maybe if we could export & sell enough of these in the US we could cruise more often!!

"The Mona Lisa candy we have (if it's the same) are individually wrapped chocolates with a nut center. They're fabulous!!"

Seva, yes that's it,e xactly! But I can not find them anywhere in the states. Canyou tell me the officail name of the candy? Maybe I can Google it. Thanks.

Hello again, hermang,

We are just back from our Galaxy Med cruise. When we visited Santorini, I just HAD to find the peanut/sesame snack you had talked about---it sounded great. Well, it IS great. It was everywhere---and so we just had to try it. Yumm! we ate a lot of it.

I asked at one shop (DiPorto House of Wine and Taste---it's an X guaranteed shop) if they ship to US, and they said they do. Their email is: diporto33@wines-santorini.com. They said the snack is called "karamelomeno". (Label on the bag actually says "fistiki karamelomeno me soysami, peanuts with caramel and seame"). If you need it, I can email you a picture of the label on my empty bag.

Well, I'm back from the market. Our local store sells only packaged honey/sesame nuts, but in a "bar", but I know a small out of the way store that sells them by the kilo. They differ just a little bit. Do you remember which one you had?

The Mona Lisa candy we have (if it's the same) are individually wrapped chocolates with a nut center. They're fabulous!!

Maybe if we could export & sell enough of these in the US we could cruise more often!!

The package was about 1/2 lb or 250kg - writing was I believe in Green ink.

I would definitely buy a kilo if they would ship. There was a shop I believe in or near Lagoudera Shopping Center in Fira Santorini - that had them - we purchased a beautiful necklace from Apollo Jewelers and this shop was down a narrow street very near the jewelers. He sold olives and other delights and had bas of this delicacy - Also saw them in Oia.

Now there is a plan - hey Orville Redenbacher made a fortune selling pop corn in this country

Hello again, hermang,

We are just back from our Galaxy Med cruise. When we visited Santorini, I just HAD to find the peanut/sesame snack you had talked about---it sounded great. Well, it IS great. It was everywhere---and so we just had to try it. Yumm! we ate a lot of it.

I asked at one shop (DiPorto House of Wine and Taste---it's an X guaranteed shop) if they ship to US, and they said they do. Their email is: diporto33@wines-santorini.com. They said the snack is called "karamelomeno". (Label on the bag actually says "fistiki karamelomeno me soysami, peanuts with caramel and seame"). If you need it, I can email you a picture of the label on my empty bag.

Please do - my email is hermang@snet.net

The info previously posted is correct. The honey/sesame peanuts are called "karamelomeno".

The chocolates are called GIOCONDA by Pavlidis chocolate company, which is a kraft foods company.

They were called Giocondas. Thanks for the company information, Seva. Maybe I can find them online. I'll let you know if I do.

Nope. All the sites, except one that had no contact info, are in Greek! I found a restaurant in Washington State (I live in Virginia) that serves them but they are out and have been for months. He would not tell me who his supplier is (surprise, surprise). Says his price per bag of 35 or so is 18-20 euros, yikes! I'll keep trying.

The info previously posted is correct. The honey/sesame peanuts are called "karamelomeno".

The chocolates are called GIOCONDA by Pavlidis chocolate company, which is a kraft foods company.

If you are taking orders - please let me know I'll find a way to get you funds

Thanks

Archived