Do they check passports and visas in St. Kitts?

First Time 2008

I will be on the Destiny with a port call in St. Kitts. We have 3 US and 2 EU passport holders in our party. The EU folks are citizens of a country that requires visa according to http://www.mofa.gov.kn/

We are getting different (mis)information from different sources. The St. Kitts embassy in Washington DC says they needs visas. The St. Kitts mission to the EU says they don't need visas for stays of under 24 hours. Who to believe? Probably the CC community.

Question to those that have gone to St. Kitts recently: is there any passport control of any sort for cruise ships, and did it look like they were checking for visas?

When a ship comes into port the immigration official comes onto the ship and reviews the records from the pursers office as to who is on board. Once immigration is cleared, all passengers are free to leave the ship. You never go through a formal passport control at any port on a cruise ship (other than when you come back into the USA). So, my best guess is that no visa would be required - but I would look into it further. I would try to see if you can actually e-mail the purser on the ship as they would know for sure. You could call the cruise line but I have found that most of the people who answer phones at the cruise line won't know and I am not sure I would trust an answer from them unless you actually hear them reading something official. Good luck.

Archived