Tux Rental

Yes you can and you can order it ahead of time online at http://www.cruiselineformal.com . Go to your local tux shop (tell them you have an out of state wedding) and get the measurements. It was waiting in the cabin closet when we boarded. Try it on right away though to make sure it fits correctly and if it doesn't they will take care of it right away. My husbands jacket had a pull in it and they came with a new one in 10 minutes.

I have not cruised since 2003 and I was wondering if you can still rent a tux on the boat for formal night.

If you have not cruised since 2003, you will find that the proportion of men wearing tuxes has continued to decrease. It's certainly running at less than 5%. If, however, you wish to rent, it is certainly doable.

If you have not cruised since 2003, you will find that the proportion of men wearing tuxes has continued to decrease. It's certainly running at less than 5%. If, however, you wish to rent, it is certainly doable.

Depends on the sailing both our 5 day Explorer to Bermuda and 11 day Panama were very dressy and the majority of the men were in tuxs and most had suits or sports jackets on the smart casual nights on the 11 day. I have never seen it at 5%, I would say at least 25% on our Alaska cruise and that was the most casual cruise I have been on.

I agree with you 100%.........right or wrong the men in tuxes decrease every cruise we take. Last two cruises which were both 9 night cruises probably had less than 30% in tuxes.......our last cruise which was Canada/New England it was probably only about 20% in tuxes.

We cuise about 4 times per year; hence, I have a need for a tux. Accordingly, I have my own. However, due to the ravages of time, I have discovered that one does not suffice. Therefore, I have a fat tux, a skinny tux and an intermediate tux. I am presently utilizing the intermediate tux; and, I pray that I will never again need the fat tux. However, realism compels meto admit that I will never ever again be attired in the skinny tux.

If you only cruise every 3 or 4 years, one of your dark suits should be fine.

We cuise about 4 times per year; hence, I have a need for a tux. Accordingly, I have my own. However, due to the ravages of time, I have discovered that one does not suffice. Therefore, I have a fat tux, a skinny tux and an intermediate tux. I am presently utilizing the intermediate tux; and, I pray that I will never again need the fat tux. However, realism compels meto admit that I will never ever again be attired in the skinny tux.

If you only cruise every 3 or 4 years, one of your dark suits should be fine.

I love your three tuxes, I thought only us women had wardrobes like that;)

Depends on the sailing both our 5 day Explorer to Bermuda and 11 day Panama were very dressy and the majority of the men were in tuxs and most had suits or sports jackets on the smart casual nights on the 11 day. I have never seen it at 5%, I would say at least 25% on our Alaska cruise and that was the most casual cruise I have been on.

Hey Sue,

We also were recently on a 5 day Explorer cruise to Bermuda.

How can you possibly say that the "majority" of men were in tuxes?

I'll still stick with my observation of less than 5%.

Hey Sue,

We also were recently on a 5 day Explorer cruise to Bermuda.

How can you possibly say that the "majority" of men were in tuxes?

I'll still stick with my observation of less than 5%.

On ours last Sept everyone was dressed to the nines EVERY night. Not sure why ours differed (no groups that I know of) but VERY DRESSY. The majority, were in tuxes and the women in extremely dressy dresses. Hubby wore a suit and was mad because so many were in tuxes, if there had been a 2nd formal on that one he would have rented for the second one.

Thank You to everyone for your quick post. I think he was thinking more of not having to carry the suit and all on the plane in comparison to really wanting to wear a tux but after all the trouble we have been through trying to make a cruise this year I saw we do it up.

Michelle

Thank You to everyone for your quick post. I think he was thinking more of not having to carry the suit and all on the plane in comparison to really wanting to wear a tux but after all the trouble we have been through trying to make a cruise this year I saw we do it up.

Michelle

Very easy to rent, do it up and enjoy!!! Have a great cruise!!

Really. That's an awfully precise number to be throwing around. I do hear that on shorter cruises, and smaller ships, it is a little less. But on our 2 Voyager class sailings, we've had a lot of tuxes aboard. And, those who didn't do tuxes were at least mostly in suits. Well above probably 40-50% on those. Of course, I didn't do a survey or anything...

Really.

Yep, really.

The lessening of dress standards is a continuing trend in society.

Consider the dress standard in air travel. It used to be that all men (including those in coach) would wear suits when flying.

Consider the dress standard in church attendance.

Is it a bad thing?

No, just a change in acceptable societal standards.

I don't care if it's 1% or 100% I'll be wearing my tux as I always do. So There...:D

Then one day folks will start back dressing up and we'll be cool because they'll say it's a "retro" look. And we can just snicker.

And, those who didn't do tuxes were at least mostly in suits. Well above probably 40-50% on those. Of course, I didn't do a survey or anything...

Ah, you edited your response.

Anyway, I agree that over 40% were in suits (or sport coats).

I don't care if it's 1% or 100% I'll be wearing my tux as I always do. So There...:D

We are right there with you, and maybe if those who keep talking about how the dressing standards are going downhill, fought it and wore the tuxes and dressed up maybe it wouldn't happen!!!:rolleyes:

I think what Yogi is saying is that every year, the number of men in true tuxedo's keeps going down. I don't think he is saying it is good or bad. I agree that each year it seems that there are fewer and fewer men in tuxedo's on a cruise.........no I don't count either.......just with my eyes.

My problem is that someone comes here looking for information, thinks it is more formal than it really is and then comes away with the wrong impression either about RC or Cruise Critic.......

Yes cruises will vary.........my 2004 Panama Canal cruise had 80% of the men in tuxes, but my 2006 Panama Canal Cruise probably had only 20% of the men in tuxes..........go figure.

Sometimes as lost romantics........(and I'm one and it is ok to be that LOL) we get caught up in what we would like it to be or what it once used to be........and not what the reality is.

Archived