Barcelona - Stay an extra day?

We are going on a 12 night mediterranean cruise that departs from Barcelona next year. We are flying from Minnesota to Spain. Due to work related obligations, we can only do a one night prestay in Barcelona (there is no way to extend this to a two night prestay). We are planning to do at least a one night poststay.

Would you recommend extending our poststay in Barcelona to at least two nights, so that we can see more? Thoughts?

If you have the time, and can do it, I would say yes. I personally love Barcelona - did two nights precruise in 2005 and definitely only touched the surface.

Keep in mind the day you arrive you're going to be somewhat jet lagged. Here's a link with lots of info of what you can see and do while you're there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=264642&highlight=barcelona+faq

Frances

We have been to Barcelona 3 times already and even though we have done 2-3 day prestays each time, we still haven't seen everything.

Don't forget that the day you get travel (arrive by plane, go to the ship, get off the ship, or fly home) is only a partial day available for touring.

If you can spend more time, do so. You won't regret it!

YES...There is lots to see...but also, it is a great town in which to just relax and enjoy the city...to stroll Las Ramblas, eat in outdoor cafes on small placas, dine on tapas in local bars...and relax...(as well as running around to the various museums, Gaudi buildings, churches and monuments)...

But, here's the real way to look at it (and why I always add several days both pre- and post-cruise when cruising in Europe):

You are spending a lot of money for the cruise, shore excursions or tours, bar bill, tips, etc. But you are also spending a sizeable sum for airfare...and you are also investing a couple of long days traveling time getting there and back...

As a percentage of your overall investment, an extra day or two is a relatively minor cost. You are there already...paid for...Your additional cost per day is only the hotel room cost, whatever you spend on meals and your pocket change...

When else can you buy a couple of days of vacation in Barcelona for so small a cost? As long as you have the vacation days and no need to rush back, it's a worthwhile expenditure...

Yes, Yes, YES!

We loved Barcelona and wish we had more days on our post cruise. We did the HO/HO and it was a great way to get around the city (and one of our days was a Sunday, which is even better because there is little traffic!)

:)

Let me add another BIG YES. We had concerns that after 3 days in Venice and a 14 day cruise we would be burned out...NO WAY! I wish we had stayed a week in Barcelona instead of just 3 days.

Check out my blog link below.

Steve

Yes. As others have said, there is tons to see and do. In addition, a good hotel can be found for a relatively good price, compared to most other cities in Europe. Food is also good and relatively not that expensive. You can also take a day trip or a part day trip out of the city to some interesting places, including the Dali Museum , about 45 minutes outside the city.

We did the 12 day Med Cruise in September and loved every minute of it but I have to say my heart belongs to Barcelona. Great Great city. Not a bad restaurant, you'll love Tapas, the Ramblas, Secrada de Familia, on and on....

Barcelona is nice. We just got back from a 12 night mediterranean cruise and stayed 1 extra night in Barcelona. We saw everything we wanted to see in 1 day. Just get on their bus's (red and blue line) and they have headphones and like 10 different languages that explain all of the different places to you. You can also get off and on as much as you want. To be honest after 12 nights on the boat and 1 in barcelona we were just ready to get back home so we were glad we only booked 1 extra night. Have fun.

Archived