Buying liquor in gift shop

cindybeach

Does anyone know if you can buy a bottle of liquor the first night in the gift shop, pay an upcharge and take it back to you cabin?

Thanks

All liquor that you buy in the shops on the ship or in port will be taken and delivered to your cabin the last night of the cruise.

Does anyone know if you can buy a bottle of liquor the first night in the gift shop, pay an upcharge and take it back to you cabin?

Thanks

No.. they hold it until the last night of the cruise.. you can order from the bon voyage dept to have a bottle waiting for you when you board tho:D

Thanks

You can purchase it through the bon voyage dept. at carnival prior to your cruise,and have it waiting for you in your room when you board.

RCCL use to have a policy where you can buy a bottle for an additional fee, but they stop doing that some two or three years back. Now, it has one of the most strict liquor policies.

I sailed on the Jewel of the Seas this past September, the policy in effect that no liquor, beer or wine was allowed to be brought on board. They even check the check in luggage for contrabands.

The only way to purchase liquor is by the glass.

RCCL use to have a policy where you can buy a bottle for an additional fee, but they stop doing that some two or three years back. Now, it has one of the most strict liquor policies.

I sailed on the Jewel of the Seas this past September, the policy in effect that no liquor, beer or wine was allowed to be brought on board. They even check the check in luggage for contrabands.

The only way to purchase liquor is by the glass.

Let's hope Carnival does not follow suit like that:eek:

Do you know the duty free limit?

If you are a US citizen you can bring back 1 ltr p/p duty free. If, you go to the Virgin Islands, you can bring back 5 bottles p/p. I believe Texas has a law where even if you go to the Virgin Islands you can only bring back 1 bottle, but I'm not familiar with the law.

Even if you go over your limit, if you declare it, and it's not a large amount over, the customs people usually let you slide.

If you are a US citizen you can bring back 1 ltr p/p duty free. If, you go to the Virgin Islands, you can bring back 5 bottles p/p. I believe Texas has a law where even if you go to the Virgin Islands you can only bring back 1 bottle, but I'm not familiar with the law.

Even if you go over your limit, if you declare it, and it's not a large amount over, the customs people usually let you slide.

Thank You - Everyone wants me to bring back Tequila from Mexico.

The 5 liters are duty free provided 4 of them purchased in the US Virgin Islands.

My dad didn't listen to me on our last cruise. I told him if we wanted to buy alcohol to buy in St Thomas. He waited until St Martin, and bought 6 bottles.

Customs was being VERY strict in Miami, and he had to pay $11.31 in duty on the 4 extra bottles (2 were duty free because he was with my mom). And that took FOREVER. I was surprised because I always read here that they usually just let you go if it's just a small amount. Oh well, it was still 50% cheaper than what they'd pay in WI.

The 5 liters are duty free provided 4 of them purchased in the US Virgin Islands.

My dad didn't listen to me on our last cruise. I told him if we wanted to buy alcohol to buy in St Thomas. He waited until St Martin, and bought 6 bottles.

Customs was being VERY strict in Miami, and he had to pay $11.31 in duty on the 4 extra bottles (2 were duty free because he was with my mom). And that took FOREVER. I was surprised because I always read here that they usually just let you go if it's just a small amount. Oh well, it was still 50% cheaper than what they'd pay in WI.

Absolutely. The $11.31 is really nothing. We also saved 50% on the liquor we brought back.

Absolutely. The $11.31 is really nothing. We also saved 50% on the liquor we brought back.

I was lucky in that I saved more than 50%. I saved about 66%. I only bought one bottle though because I was concerned about flying home with it. My parents had no problems with their 6 bottles, so I know the next time I'll take the risk! I wonder if there will ever be time when we can carry them on again. After all, they are sealed bottles - it would be nice if they could be exempt from the 3 oz rule.

I was lucky in that I saved more than 50%. I saved about 66%. I only bought one bottle though because I was concerned about flying home with it. My parents had no problems with their 6 bottles, so I know the next time I'll take the risk! I wonder if there will ever be time when we can carry them on again. After all, they are sealed bottles - it would be nice if they could be exempt from the 3 oz rule.

We brought back 6 bottles each. Since we left out of NYC and live here, we just took a cab home from the terminal so it was easy to buy that much. If I had to fly, I wouldn't have brought back that much.

How much can you buy to take back home? someone said there was limit.

FYI - On the two-day Cruises to Nowhere, you can buy as much as you can carry off. No customs since you don't stop at a port, but the duty free shops are still open since you're in international waters. We are seriously considering doing another one out of Norfolk just to stock up on Sheridan's. :D

• 2 months later...
Don't forget that ANY liquid you want to take home has to fit in your checked luggage.

Now, let me add something..............

My son & wife bought (Rum or something) onboard Carnival Spirit. It was delivered to their cabin the last night, in "approved boxes".

We got to the airport, checked baggage.........the agent said "are there bottles of alcohol in here?" (she said she could tell by the weight/distribution)..."and are they in bubble wrap??"

Although his bottles were in the cartons that Carnival said were fine, the airline would not check the baggage, until he purchased "bubble wrap" containers at $5.00 each.

The airline agent said they have been telling the cruise ships that their "cartons" do not protect the bottles. Many bottles in the cartons get broken. (But, the cruise lines are not going to tell you!)

So, BEWARE!! And take lots of bubble wrap if you are going to purchase alcohol to take home!!

Archived