Nassau, Bahamas, Snorkeling Excursion

prwjr

NP... DJ...glad you enjoyed...so where ya going in Feb 2008?

Paul

Nassau, again! My DH doesn't know it yet, though. He thinks we're going with another couple to Cocoa Beach for an anniversary trip! (Our anniversary isn't until March, but our youngest DS's bday is around our annivesary...hence celebrating earlier/later usually!) This is the plan....my friend (the other couple) is going to "suggest" as we turn off the exit to Cocoa Beach (which also goes to the port) that we stop by the port to look at the cruise ships! So, hopefully, he won't have a clue until we pull up for the porters to unload our luggage!!!!

Now, we are open for any other tips!

See ya, Paul,

DJ

This is the first I've heard of the "Blue Hole Excursions" outfit. Do you have any contact info or web links? Is it the outfit with ties to the NBH?

You will find 'Blue Hole Water Sports' listed under BahamasCruiseExcursions.com (then - snorkeling and sailing charters). Actually, I only see 'Blue Hole' listed on our receipt and e-mailed confirmation. The actual excursion was 'Nassau Snorkel & Private Boat Charter Adventure'.

They have an on-line form to request availability and request special and/or private tours. Emily was very helpful, suggesting how they could accomodate our needs within our desired time schedule. And they did!:)

Yes, their facility is located at the British Colonial Hilton's pier which is only 2 blocks or so down the beach from the cruiseships. From your cruiseship - look for the beautiful green lawn dotted with Palm trees to your right with a pier alongside. It was an easy walk (by a Starbucks!). We were directed to enter the BCH, walk through the lobby out through the back then to the right to the hotel's pier. A bonus was seeing the inside of that lovely hotel with numerous full-size palm trees.

Our Captain and water tour guide was Basil, whose photo is shown driving the boat in one of the website photos. He revealed his favorite 'Fish Fry' restaurant that turned out to be right on the money! He also brought along a cooler of drinks and water for us.

This excursion was excellent and we will definitely book with them (and Basil) when we return to Nassau.

You will find 'Blue Hole Water Sports' listed under BahamasCruiseExcursions.com (then - snorkeling and sailing charters). Actually, I only see 'Blue Hole' listed on our receipt and e-mailed confirmation. The actual excursion was 'Nassau Snorkel & Private Boat Charter Adventure'.

They have an on-line form to request availability and request special and/or private tours. Emily was very helpful, suggesting how they could accomodate our needs within our desired time schedule. And they did!:)

Yes, their facility is located at the British Colonial Hilton's pier which is only 2 blocks or so down the beach from the cruiseships. From your cruiseship - look for the beautiful green lawn dotted with Palm trees to your right with a pier alongside. It was an easy walk (by a Starbucks!). We were directed to enter the BCH, walk through the lobby out through the back then to the right to the hotel's pier. A bonus was seeing the inside of that lovely hotel with numerous full-size palm trees.

Our Captain and water tour guide was Basil, whose photo is shown driving the boat in one of the website photos. He revealed his favorite 'Fish Fry' restaurant that turned out to be right on the money! He also brought along a cooler of drinks and water for us.

This excursion was excellent and we will definitely book with them (and Basil) when we return to Nassau.

What was the name of the "Fish Fry" restaurant?

DJ

TravelGarn: Basil recommended Twin Brothers at Arawak Cay (Fish Fry). We actually went to two restaurants so that I could get my fill of conch! So as not to feel too guilty, we had not eaten breakfast in preparation for this and it was around 2 p.m.. 'The New Big 10 Briland Lounge' was our first stop where DH and I shared a freshly made conch salad and a couple of Kaliks (a light Bahamian beer). After a while, the waitress came to tell us it would be a longer wait for the conch fritters since they had just started preparing a new batch. She suggested I try the Crack Conch (not Cracked) and I did.....wonderful! A first for us, it was not as the name suggests, but fried in a light batter; several large pieces about the size of 1/2 of a boneless chicken breast. They also had crack lobster. Overall the menu was quite varied. Lots of fish, with grouper being common. Then we moved on to Twin Brothers - - very interesting place and experience. On the side of their building is printed 'As seen on CBS'. This stop was for fritters. Because business is so brisk with the locals here, they had a walk-up window off to the right side on the covered porch. To the left, was a window from which to order beverages. We opted to go inside and sit at the bar which was very nice. We ordered the bar's most popular icy drink ' The Miami Vice' which was a frozen strawberry concoction swirled with a cream colored coconut concoction. It was dispensed from a softserve ice cream type machine. Lastly, he added the rum....a little too much, in fact. It was very tasty...not too sweet and full of natural flavor. While we were sitting at the 2 bar stools at the end of the counter, sippling on our drinks and waiting for our fritter order (12 for $5.00 or so), we were being filmed for something....maybe a commercial. After the camerman filmed DH and I enjoying our drinks, he had the bartender make a presentation opening 2 different types of Kalik beers. Maybe we're on Bahamas TV right now!;)

We felt very safe there at 2 - 3 pm on Friday, as there were locals with their children strolling about and many people dropping in for take-out from the different restaurants. Not crowded and no 'hawkers'. :eek: It was a very pleasant environment.

Don't be afraid to take the bus, use the #10 bus which runs every 25 - 30 minutes both ways. It costs $1.00 per person and is used by mostly locals. Very clean, with nice music and pleasant, cordial riders. Just be sure to tell them when you get on that you want to get off at Arawak Cay (or 'Fish Fry'). We took a taxi from the docks for $20 w/tip, and returned by the #10. At Fish Fry, just ask any local where the bus stops. We were dropped off one block over from the docks, just behind the Straw Market (in front of Diamonds International). Although DH was not interested in the Straw Market, our walk through as a shortcut to the ship, was a nice way to check it out! Guess I have to say my husband waited for me on the other side.....not too long, though!:D

TravelGarn: Basil recommended Twin Brothers at Arawak Cay (Fish Fry). We actually went to two restaurants so that I could get my fill of conch! So as not to feel too guilty, we had not eaten breakfast in preparation for this and it was around 2 p.m.. 'The New Big 10 Briland Lounge' was our first stop where DH and I shared a freshly made conch salad and a couple of Kaliks (a light Bahamian beer). After a while, the waitress came to tell us it would be a longer wait for the conch fritters since they had just started preparing a new batch. She suggested I try the Crack Conch (not Cracked) and I did.....wonderful! A first for us, it was not as the name suggests, but fried in a light batter; several large pieces about the size of 1/2 of a boneless chicken breast. They also had crack lobster. Overall the menu was quite varied. Lots of fish, with grouper being common. Then we moved on to Twin Brothers - - very interesting place and experience. On the side of their building is printed 'As seen on CBS'. This stop was for fritters. Because business is so brisk with the locals here, they had a walk-up window off to the right side on the covered porch. To the left, was a window from which to order beverages. We opted to go inside and sit at the bar which was very nice. We ordered the bar's most popular icy drink ' The Miami Vice' which was a frozen strawberry concoction swirled with a cream colored coconut concoction. It was dispensed from a softserve ice cream type machine. Lastly, he added the rum....a little too much, in fact. It was very tasty...not too sweet and full of natural flavor. While we were sitting at the 2 bar stools at the end of the counter, sippling on our drinks and waiting for our fritter order (12 for $5.00 or so), we were being filmed for something....maybe a commercial. After the camerman filmed DH and I enjoying our drinks, he had the bartender make a presentation opening 2 different types of Kalik beers. Maybe we're on Bahamas TV right now!;)

We felt very safe there at 2 - 3 pm on Friday, as there were locals with their children strolling about and many people dropping in for take-out from the different restaurants. Not crowded and no 'hawkers'. :eek: It was a very pleasant environment.

Don't be afraid to take the bus, use the #10 bus which runs every 25 - 30 minutes both ways. It costs $1.00 per person and is used by mostly locals. Very clean, with nice music and pleasant, cordial riders. Just be sure to tell them when you get on that you want to get off at Arawak Cay (or 'Fish Fry'). We took a taxi from the docks for $20 w/tip, and returned by the #10. At Fish Fry, just ask any local where the bus stops. We were dropped off one block over from the docks, just behind the Straw Market (in front of Diamonds International). Although DH was not interested in the Straw Market, our walk through as a shortcut to the ship, was a nice way to check it out! Guess I have to say my husband waited for me on the other side.....not too long, though!:D

Thank you so much for your insight!!

DJ

I think we've decided to do the Fish Fry!! We want to do so much, we'll have our husbands dragging behind! :p

DJ

Nassau, again! My DH doesn't know it yet, though. He thinks we're going with another couple to Cocoa Beach for an anniversary trip! (Our anniversary isn't until March, but our youngest DS's bday is around our annivesary...hence celebrating earlier/later usually!) This is the plan....my friend (the other couple) is going to "suggest" as we turn off the exit to Cocoa Beach (which also goes to the port) that we stop by the port to look at the cruise ships! So, hopefully, he won't have a clue until we pull up for the porters to unload our luggage!!!!

Now, we are open for any other tips!

See ya, Paul,

DJ

That sounds very nice DJ...I'm sure your DH will be pleasantly surprised!!!

I used to live in Cape Canaveral and worked in Port Canaveral...back in the day... about 26 years ago. I don't believe there were any cruise ship lines departing from there at the time...only pleasure boats and the Naval Base.

Your DH shouldn't have a clue...unless he comes into this forum!!!

I wish I could give you some tips on Nassau, but I didn't spend enough time there...or as long as I would have liked to, to make any suggestions.

I'm sure that you will enjoy your trip. BTW...I was around and about the Straw Market with my daughters. I'm not a shopper but it still cost me money!!! I would like to check out the Atlantis and the Blue Lagoon...and I never did get the Conch I was hoping to get. Senor Frog's was an experience though!!! I would suggest just going with the flow and enjoying your trip, without the pressure of having to do something...you can worry about that when you get back!!!

Keep in touch...

Paul

That sounds very nice DJ...I'm sure your DH will be pleasantly surprised!!!

I used to live in Cape Canaveral and worked in Port Canaveral...back in the day... about 26 years ago. I don't believe there were any cruise ship lines departing from there at the time...only pleasure boats and the Naval Base.

Your DH shouldn't have a clue...unless he comes into this forum!!!

I wish I could give you some tips on Nassau, but I didn't spend enough time there...or as long as I would have liked to, to make any suggestions.

I'm sure that you will enjoy your trip. BTW...I was around and about the Straw Market with my daughters. I'm not a shopper but it still cost me money!!! I would like to check out the Atlantis and the Blue Lagoon...and I never did get the Conch I was hoping to get. Senor Frog's was an experience though!!! I would suggest just going with the flow and enjoying your trip, without the pressure of having to do something...you can worry about that when you get back!!!

Keep in touch...

Paul

Thanks, Paul, for your vote of encouragement! And with my DH's computer skills...if he lurks into these boards, he DESERVES to find out! As far as the Conch, we had conch fritters in Key West last year, so I am eager to see if there is much of a difference.

And to be completely honest, I am just excited to have my DH to myself for a few days. It's only once a year that we're along for more than a few hours at the time together. Much anticipated...for both of us! I'll let you know how it goes when we return!

DJ

Our reservationists, Emily w/ Nassau snorkeling excursion for which we used BahamasCruiseExcursionsdotcom (Blue Hole), e-mailed me today to receive feed-back on the excursion we took with Captain Basil. I was so pleased. I have never had any excursion company (private or ship) contact me after the fact to see how we liked it! The personal experience and custom itinerary, hence the 'Private Excursion' name, was a wonderful oasis in the world of crowded cruiseship ports!

I'm sure she won't mind me passing on part of her emailed reply to my response to her request: "Bahamascruiseexcursions has been up and running since November, our company, Island Marketing has been operating for over 5 years, mostly in the Western Caribbean. When we came across Basil we knew we had a special excursion. It's such a nice personalized trip, hopefully it will become a popular one for us!"

• 4 years later...

I am interested in taking the Stuarts Cove Snorkeling Excursion but I have read that if you miss the shuttle they will not pick you up. Our ship only arrives 15 minutes before the shuttle pick up. Has anyone had trouble with this?

I am interested in taking the Stuarts Cove Snorkeling Excursion but I have read that if you miss the shuttle they will not pick you up. Our ship only arrives 15 minutes before the shuttle pick up. Has anyone had trouble with this?

You WON'T make this excursion and Stuart Cove will charge you as a no show.

They are not set up to wait or return for you.

Archived